Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: losing my 1tb connection

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I have a new WD 1tb external harddrive I'm connecting it on my laptop by firewire when all of a sudden the connection is lost them I unplug & plug it back & it is back & the prosses repeat itself every once in a while does anyone have an solution for this?

Mensajes Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 6:25 pm
I use a firewire drive also, but I've never had this happen. Could it be a power management problem, perhaps?

Mensajes Mon 10 Mar 08 @ 9:34 pm
A friend stated to me that when running files with his external firewire drive he often lost connection. He switched to usb 2.0 and hasnt complained since??? I personally use usb & i have several different external drives without any problems...

Mensajes Wed 12 Mar 08 @ 8:16 pm
Sound like some kind of idle timeout. Does it happen when you are actively using files from you external HD or only when you're not using it for 5 - 10 - 15 minutes?

Mensajes Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 5:25 am
do you have power save enabled on your laptop or desktop? Because I know, since I own the the 1tb Western Digital, mine came in a black color, =)
that whenever i go into hibernation on my laptop and then open it back up, it takes atleast like 2 min for it to load up all my external music files again, pain in the butt if you ask me, but try switching to always keeping your computer on, and also, if your using usb 1.1 instead of 2.0, that may be your problem, but only that it runs slow when transferring, not losing files, hm........, well, i would try switching to having both your computer and external harddrive on all the time, and see if that helps,

best regards,

jc

Mensajes Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 1:09 pm
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
My WD 1TB does this when it is idle for too long (10 minutes or so?) as a power-save feature.
I have looked into disabling that 'feature' but it doesn't appear to be possible because it is built into the drive, not in the software.

I have had ideas like create a scheduled task that will read the top-level directory of the drive every 5 minutes or so to keep it from timing out, but I have not yet tried this. I rarely allow the drive to remain idle for more than a couple minutes during a show and really only experience this at home.

Mensajes Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 4:05 pm
that drive itself is factory set to Idle as a power management "Green Power" is why.
it's set to use low power consumption. even the RPM varies 5400-7200
it's on all current WD 1tb drives marked or not.

enable write caching in hardware / properties / policys

tick optimise for performance if it's an external, "you'lll have to select safely remove hardware in task bar to use this option before unplugging"

tick enable write caching to disk for internal "if you want this option to work on an external
the drive has to be pluged in before system boot and only unplugged after powering down.

Mensajes Thu 20 Mar 08 @ 5:58 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)