Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Possible Purchase

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DukesyPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Hi all
Long time Lurker..... almost first time poster. I have a few questions and was hoping to get some opinions from you lot as the guys in the know.
As a bit of back history I have been using Virtual DJ for quite a wile now on windows based systems and loving it but alas my latest laptop has passed away and I’m looking to upgrade so I figured maybe Mac would be the go.
What I'm looking to buy is a 15" Macbook Pro 2.4ghz with 4meg of ram. What I’m wondering is will my current DJ setup work with the new Macbook.
Currently I use a Korg Zero 4 mixer with Stanton ST.120's and TCV. The Korg acts as both a midi controller and sound card sending and receiving time codes from the first 2 channels, loops from the third channel and the fourth channel is used for midi control.
Will there be any issue setting up the Korg like this on the Mac.
Does VDJ have any major issues running on mac OSX or would I be better of going with the Windows PC and sticking with what I know.

After being A PC user for 22 odd years I’m a little bit lost on this mac stuff so any info. you guys could spare would be great before I jump in and make my purchase.

Thanks Guys.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 12:43 am
sbangsPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Currently the sound card which is needed for perfect results on mac is the Virtual Vinyl package the next update coming soon! should give better support for a wider range of cards.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 5:56 am
Hi thanks for the reply.
Are you saying that the Korg will not work at all in virtual DJ on Mac??
Thats not good if so I I may have to rethink my ideas.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 7:30 am
It would work as a sweet midi controller and sound card , but the tcv may not be as good as the pc version at this time but this should change in the upcomming update for mac.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 7:40 am
Oh ok that puts my heart at ease a little. I'm not much of a scratch artist with the TCV anyways I'm just a little bit old school when it comes to hands on control. In your opinion would it surfice for straight blends etc. I suppose if I did get the mac and had major problems with the TCV I could always run Windows XP through boot camp while I wait on the next update. What do you think?

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 7:50 am
yes definitely you could use the bootcamp version if you needed TCV.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 1:48 pm
Thanks mate I appreciate the time.

Mensajes Fri 11 Apr 08 @ 5:32 pm
HiTowerPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Welcome Dukesy. Before your post, I never looked at the Korg Zero 4. I checked it out, and it looks like a pretty sweet mixer. I'm hoping someone out there can give some insight about that mixer. If it works, I'd be interested in it myself. For what I do know... as others stated, if you're not using the Virtual Vinyl (VV) sound card, timecode is unstable at best. Personally, I've never got it to work on my Mac (I don't have VV). Saying VV produces perfect results isn't accurate either. This is the link to an active thread discussing a problem with VV http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/87511/MAC_Version_Technical_Support/Timecode_Vinyl_Problem_(OS_X_10_4_9).html?page=1 To be fair, when I read through the thread, it sounds to me like it's a bad card, or bad connection somewhere.

I would like to give you some information about Skyfxl saying, "...the next update coming soon! should give better support for a wider range of cards." I've been in this forum on the daily basis hoping for the timecode fix. I bought VDJ last November and have been waiting for the "update coming soon" since then. Like you, I'm not much of a scratch DJ either, just like using traditional controls. As for timecode using boot camp, I got it to work, but it needed some tweaking. I didn't go that far with it because the reason I have a Mac is so I don't have to use Windows. This is no insult to Skyfxl. I actually think he does a good job dealing with VDJ users that aren't getting the results they expected when they invested in this product. If it wasn't for him, a lot of us would be more upset than we are now because when you contact VDJ for support, it takes them about a week to respond to your problem.

As for a Mac over PC... if you've been using a computer for 22 years, moving to a Mac will be easy. Navigating through OS X really isn't much different than Windows. The hardest part is just learning the new names for things. My Computer vs. Finder, Control Panel vs. System Preferences, Internet Explorer vs. Safari. Once you get the hang of those differences navigation is easy. Stability is the real difference between the two. I made the "switch" 7 years ago and never looked back.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Mensajes Sun 13 Apr 08 @ 12:43 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)