Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: First Live VDJ set - advice

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

PaulyVPRO InfinityMember since 2005
Hi there,

We are new users to VDJ but am finding it to be a great creative tool.

We are going to be playing live with it this Friday in Islington in London, using our new Timecoded Vinyl, Maya 44 USB and a laptop.

We are having afew teething problems but I have posted those elsewhere on the forum, so should get those solved with your great help.

However I was just looking for some advice on anything we should look out for on the day from people who have used such a setup live.

I have 2 ground loop isolators too so have that covered!

Thanks in anticipation.

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 1:12 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Tell us about it later.

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 2:33 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi there,
The first thing I reccomend is getting to the gig plenty early, give you lots of time to set-up and do some testing. Secoundly, you are useing laptops, laptops are very sensitive, it will need to be kept as cool as possible, so you'll need to put it somewhere where it can breeve well, Elevating the laptop with custom built legs works wounders to give a larger space between the fan and the surface, if this isn't possible you use something like a book at the back, as long as the fans are kept clear, laptops love nothing more than crashing at gigs, lol :), but with simple care you can best avoid it!.

It's always useful to have a spare sound card and a back-up playing device, if your useing an external soundcard then the onboard card will take that place.

Well I wish you a good gig :), after all london is my home city ;) (but far away now).

Please post here with any more specific concerns, Bagpuss.

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 3:00 pm
1. Make sure you have a backup (bypass)

2. The night before pray before you go to bed

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 10:42 pm
Hey, dude.
Want a advise??

DO NOTHING, just go there and play your best set ever!!!!

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 10:52 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
lol i have more than 200 parties behind without crashing! but i still always bring my iriver h340 with me :)

Dj Nikki

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 05 @ 11:13 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I hear the no crash folks and I"m with them. Do the cool the laptop advice, maybe even take a practice that is as long as the set you're going to play just to see what happens. But, bring an I Pod or somenthing with a recorded mix you can bypass to quickly....just in case :) What a feeling to have 100 people looking at you and no music playing....damn I just laughed. Been there done it :)

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 12:48 am
This is great advice people - many genuine thanks.

Got the night before to go through it all and fine tune the system with timecoded vinyl and really push it to see if I can break it and know what to avoid!

Got dual Cds there on the same mixer so I'll keep those spinning on a repeat track to drop in incase things go wrong.

I'll let you know how it went and my impressions!

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 12:57 am
Hey, where is your set gonna be this friday? what time you on, please put up some details, it would be cool to come, as i'm based in Islington, and havent seen VDJ in clubs.
Thanks

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 11:55 am
Nothing as grand as in a club! Having a party for myself and a pal in the Jorene Celeste pub which my firend owns - going to be setting up at the far end of the bar. It is opposite the fire station (153 Upper Street) and we shall be there all night.

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 1:13 pm
thats all good mate, I think i know the place, infact i think i was drinking in there last weekend. Anyways I will try and make it, if thats all good with u. What kinda beats do u spin? Are u gonna be using timecoded vinyl?
Cheers

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 5:27 pm
Anyone is welcome of course!

Myself and my mate David are playing, he will be doing funk and the like I imagine, and I will do some r'n'b then onto Electro etc.

Should be a great night. ww.2072.tv

P

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 7:55 pm
Sorry, yes we are trying out timecoded vinyl - see how it goes!

P

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 05 @ 7:58 pm
Great set last night guys. I'm very impressed at how well everything worked, with no problems at all. I managed to get a couple of pics from last night, but they aren't great. I've uploaded them here:

http://adam.awoke.co.uk/vdj/index.html

I have been meaning to buy VDJ for quite a while now, and after last night, any doubts in my mind have gone.
I am gonna purchase the software as soon as i get paid :-) along with a maya 44 and the timecoded vinyl, and I should be ready to go.
The only thing im unsure about is if the timecoded vinyl will work as effectivly with TTX1's as it did with the technics?

Nice 1

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 4:19 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
@capdownlondon -

YES, the TimeCodeVinyl doesn't care to much on what is driving it.
Search the forums, there have been a few discussions by people with TTX1 tables.

@PaulyV -

Sounds like you guys did really well. Excellent!!!

cstoll

Mensajes Sat 30 Apr 05 @ 5:00 pm
Thanks.

It was great to see you guys, and indeed the night went well. My comments:

The system worked flawlessly with Technics 1210's and a Toshiba 2ghz Laptop with 256MB RAM, but steps did have to be taken to ensure this:

1) If you are not DJing tracks that are close in tempo, disable Auto BPM - we were having trouble in rehearsal with it stuttering as it worked stuff out which had wildly variable tempos. If it was within 5% then it would run fine with it on.

2) The Timecoded vinyl is fine, however it does not run as equally well on all decks I have found. What I should say actually is that turntables like the Technics are more forgiving if things are not totally setup right. Towards the centre of the record our mid-range Numark deck skips audio ALOT if the Anti-skate is not perfectly setup for the stylus.

3) I will have to do more gigs to feel comfortable that nothing will go wrong - regular screen freezes whilst loading tracks always made me hold my breath - though again I must say at no point did we have any problems with Audio.

best

Mensajes Sun 01 May 05 @ 8:32 pm
djejPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Thanks for the report out PaulyV. I was hoping it went alright for you. You have to get more RAM. I gig for me. Or at least 512 or 768. Then you don't have to worry so much and you'll get better performance...noticeably. Sounds like you have all the other gear. It's just another piece of gear. best

Mensajes Mon 02 May 05 @ 2:32 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)