Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Legal questions or anything like this

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

With copyright the way it is what can you use and cant you use ? What permission(s) do you need if you want to use a whole song? A sample? Where would one attain these rights? Are verbal agreements enough? What do you think?

Lets keep it legal!!! and keep it fresh I love this place.

DJ PhenX

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:20 pm
How about Mp3's ....OOG's....WAV's

Whats the law?

Your thoughts?

Anything Else you can think of????Legal or Illegal things to watch out for?

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:55 pm
Not this conversation again.......

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 8:57 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:29 pm

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:45 pm
This topic is very important dont you think? I mean im sure its been talked to death in several areas all over the place but thats alot to try and look through I was just trying to make a topic for easy searching and that could contain all of these questions so we wouldnt have to hear it outside of hear :) lol

Btw I wish I could read French but alas I can not but thanks for the contrabution I am very sure someone will benefit from it. My questions were more related to the U.S. but we could Just go Global.

PhenX

Mensajes Fri 03 Jun 05 @ 9:48 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Well, It is an important issue, and any serious DJ will take it as such.., but the truth is, that most DJ's whether they use mp3 or vinyl are breaking what is seemingly very tough laws.

No matter what material you use you don't have rights to play it to an audience in a public place, unless you pay a specialized company, which is expensive unless you getting alot of work, and from a strong currency.

Most pro DJ's just make sure that they own the material, original (not copies), and in the case of mp3, that they are from cd's or pay per dl.., but this is a very taboo topic here and anywhere.., with mp3 there is alot of uncertainty, and considered ilegal in clubs (whether it is or not).., although my arguement is that if you have all the origianl material, it doesn't matter what you use to play the music.., with mp3 it would be very hard for police to be able to know where you got all that material from, whether your a paying customer with thousands of cd's, or whether you didn't pay a penny, so it's not so straight forward, if the club owner lets you play, then that is the hardest thing over, as some, in some countrys don't like this.

If the police or some checks were to be carried out while you were playing, they can do what they want, but they wont nail you if you own all or most of the material on your laptop.., you here of cases where dj's had thousands of mp3's and got court in a club, and the authoritys completely nailed them!.

But it is subject to where you got the material, keeping receipts is a good one (as cd's are clearly expensive), and also depends on the country, plus your luck!.

Here though, it is fair to say that most are ilegal in some way or form, and most ignore this topic, until one day, it becomes important to them without their will (perhaps)..., but the whole laptop, mp3 thing doesn't yet have established laws in most countries although it is still considered ilegal to a degree.., so all we can do is wait and see what happens...

but considering the EU and Amercia, it is definately heading towards a ban, it's stupid, it has no justice, but it will probably happen...

Mensajes Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 4:23 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
They lost control long ago.
The chances that they will regain 100% control is unlikely.

The important thing is that you have copy.
If you can produce originals you are covered.

The laws are multi layered.
You have copywrite laws, obey them.
As for the other laws pertaining to public performance fees that is another chapter.
It's pretty deep and complicated, but most venues will have you covered if they regularly offer live entertainment.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 5:12 pm
I believe that your right but unless we the artist some how take back control I do believe that some kind of agreement can be reached how ever between artist. And I believe that something along the line of the unix common license but as applied to music sometimes referred to as copyleft can be a way to share music creatively the terms of current common users aggerments still need to be fine tuned in my opinion I believe it should be

all artists should be able to sell mix remix and rerecord music as long as they give credit to the origanl artist and if that work is used to make money i.e. album, tour, commerical..etc all profits will be shared with the original artist and all that contribute on said work.

ok so if that wont work do we just stay underground Forever!!

By the way any of you guys on myspace.com

Mensajes Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 10:12 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)