Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Help me pick a new laptop (please?)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi guys!

Still loving vdj!! but I need a more powerful computer to run the video features, and more hard drive room to fit all my files. I was going to go with a rackmount, but seems like it's gonna run me close to $3,000 (maybe more) by the time I build it (or get it built) and all the necessary extras (i.e monitor to fit in rack, rackmountable keyboard, ect). And then there is the weight issue. My friend's rackmount pc, mixer, and monitor audio rack weighs about 80 pounds.

So at that price point ($2500-$3500), I'm again rethinking the laptop option. I've just spent all morning online at various computer manufacturer's websites configuring a custom laptop. Anybody use or have any experience with any of the following? And do you think they will work to run vdj's video features?

Dell XPS gen 2 laptop
Voodoo's Envy models
Hypersonic's line of laptops's
ABS

Sorry no specific model number's. I pretty much custom configured all of them to include at least 2 gigs of RAM, and a 256MB Nvidia GEforce 6800 video card, two 100 gig hard drives. What I like about the Hypersonic is it has slots to upgrade to 4 gigs of RAM!

Can anyone offer me any opinion/suggestions?

Thanks so much!

Sara G.
Platinum Mix Productions
Detroit, MI

Mensajes Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 9:13 pm
JeremKPRO InfinityStaffMember since 2004
i don't really know alot on laptops as i use a barebone for VDJ. But as i can see, 2GB or RAM and a 256 MB video card, seems for me to be perfect to use the video features of VDJ. Don't forget, considering to buy a soundcard, because usually the soundcards in the laptops aren't good enough for live gigs.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:09 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
in my opinion laptops aren't the greatest choice because by the time you have all these external devices you may as well have a desktop or a mini cube with you.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jun 05 @ 11:17 pm
djparadise,

I'm almost in the same position as you in that I will be shopping for a new laptop soon.
In all my research, particularly because I also do graphic design and pc gaming, these are the laptops that could probably handle what you are looking to do.

Voodoo - They are the Lamborghini's of the laptop world. They usually win all the graphic PC gaming rig competitions and have high benchmarks. Lots of Ram and Lots of speed if this is what you need. Keep in mind that they are crazy expensive. Also, you can always upgrade your video cards with these machines.

Alienware - They're Voodoo's rival and usually come in third or second for laptop benchmarks. Good machines but generally expensive.

Xtremenotebooks - This is a secret on the internet. Its basically a Voodoo or Alienware set up without the logos and for half the price. No joke and they have several options.

ABS - These are great laptops from all the reviews and the samples I have seen from PC shows. The Mayhem clocks right up there with the Voodoo but is no where near the price and you can customize it.

Hypersonic - Similar to Voodoo but way expensive.

The Poor Person's Option - You can always go to Newegg and upgrade your RAM if you still want to breathe some new life into your laptop.

Hope This Helps.

Take Care,
VDJ Batibiri

Mensajes Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 1:07 am
Rackmount all the way! lol
Super professional looking, if you have other rack equipment makes sence and is far more industrial than a laptop or a beige box solution! got respect for the new wave of SFF boxes, more reliable than i first assumed and versatlie too (you can often fit 2 harddrives and a front panel audio box. They make quite the dj swiss army knife.

Mensajes Sun 05 Jun 05 @ 1:24 am
Thanks everyone for the help...

Shaggypoet...your awesome! Thanks!

DJ Zim Zimma....what is an SFF box? is that one of those mini cube things?

Mensajes Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 5:51 pm
I have a Gateway AMD 64bit 3400, 1 gig of PC2700, 80 gig hard drive, 128mb video card.

I don't really have any issues with the laptop once you understand how to use VDJ with your hardware. I had few sound problems but I fixed that by switching the setting of VDJ limiter off and i bought a Sonic Maxiumizer. It all depends on what you intend to use it for. I use it for mobile gigs. I also use the hercules Dj console. I want my set up to be small and sound great. I don't do mixing of DVD, I'm sure it is a whole different ball game.

Mensajes Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 4:59 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)