Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Shopping list for VDJ

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

djdawgHome userMember since 2005
I have tried in vain on two other boards for help with this and I hope I can get some here. I know that vdj has a minimum requirements of what you need to run it but I'm looking for more info. I believe I have someone that will be able to build a rackmount computer to run VDJ. I'm looking for a complete shopping list to make this happen. Maybe this question is too much to ask here - I don't know. I understand that newegg.com is a good place to buy parts but I need to know what to buy! I've heard alot of good things about the Athlon 64 for running vdj.

I do not plan on accessing internet or run video or karaoke at this time. Just audio.

What rack mount case should I get?

Motherboard?

Hard drive?

DVD/CD player? (for those folks that bring their own cd and want it played)

Ram?

Sound card?

Etc....you get the picture. Any thoughts?

Mensajes Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 8:22 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
For the most part, the minimal gear avaliable on the market is more than good enough!, I am refering to the motherboard and all standard gear.

Harddrive: If you want high quality mp3's (sound) and your going to carry alot of songs, you'll need a minimum of 40gb, but reccomended would be 80gb's or over, for more on space in relation to quality read my blog by selecting my name.

CPU, this is preference, intel verse AMD, however it is generally regarded that intels focus is on big games and amd is more focuesed on multi tasking, AMD 64 sems to be ahead on power though, either will do the job just fine, 2.X gb chip works very fast with VDJ.

RAM. 512mb is min for proffesional use really, but that is for great performance, you may wish to use a little more if you do wish to use samples, effects, video etc.

Soundcard: Hercules DJ console is a great soundcard and added controller, as is xp10, but for basic soundcard, you should go for a 4.1 or 3D sound so you can use 2 channels into the mixer, you need this for pre-listen, most modern soundcards offer this, quite cheap too.

CD player and DVD: this is always good for guests as you said, also DVD is good for extra storage, a cd writer is useful if your dj'ing, if you want to do demo cd's or record sets for friends, the car etc.

The bottom line is that a standard system is good enough for virtual DJ, you don't need anything particuarly special, the program is mainly demanding on memory, virtual memory can supplement this to some degree, graphics is something virtual DJ requires virtually no great graphics card (for dj'ing), but obviously for video you'll have to invest in something like a G force card, and the soundcard shouldn't be too cheap.

I hope this helps you in some way, Bagpuss.

Mensajes Mon 06 Jun 05 @ 8:53 pm
mp3jrickPRO InfinityHonorary MemberMember since 2003
Welcome Dawg.

Mensajes Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 12:02 am
CPU: I recomend you get an AMD 64.

As far as the motherboard, there are lots of choices but I just got a DFI Lanparty SLI NForce4 SLI-D. It works great. Very stable and very overclockable if you choose to raise any of the speeds. It is truly a great MB.

Memmory (ram): I recomend you get at least 1gig pc3200 (a matched pair) so that you can run them in Dual channel mode which is MUCH better and faster.

Hardrive: Make sure it is a SATA drive so that your transfer rates will be faster. That always helps and they run about the same price as IDE hardrives.

Video card: NVIDIA 6600GT or 6800GT. Excellent cards. Very fast. Make sure you get the PCI-Express version. There are rebates on both of those cards right now so check them out.

Those are my sugestions. Many would say that its going overboard, but its better than being underpowered. There are many other ways to go. DJ Cyderhouse can give you lots of good advice too. Good luck.

Mensajes Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 3:22 am
djdawgHome userMember since 2005
Thanks all...this is a start. Maybe as I come across items that I think I'll buy, I'll post them here and get recommendations. Is newegg.com a good place to start?

Mensajes Tue 07 Jun 05 @ 6:31 pm
Newegg is great. They ship very fast and have good prices. Monarchcomputers.com is also good. Prices are great but shipping a little slower. Their customer support is GREAT though (my experience). Zipzoomfly.com has real good prices too. Good luck.

Mensajes Wed 08 Jun 05 @ 4:50 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)