Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: Indicator for CPU usage

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
As Video is eating a lot of CPU resources, it would be nice that it can be monitored
preferably via a textzone element, then we can use it very easy in a skin.
Now I have to open my taskmonitor each time to do that.

Can this be implemented in a future update

thx

Johans

Mensajes Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 8:17 pm
claxPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't think it would really be usefull because if the CPU is too much busy you will see and hear it.
The CPU monitor could not advice you in advance. When it's overbusy it's too late to avoid a freezing sound. And if you want to see the CPU monitor you can switch directly with task manager with alt+tab.
That's only my point of view.

Mensajes Fri 01 Jul 05 @ 10:00 pm
I 2nd that Clax !

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 05 @ 5:42 am
mUd-VPRO InfinityMember since 2003
i thint the CPU usage can be an good idea,
and it is an skin element, if you don't need it you can hide it

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 05 @ 3:05 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Just bring up the task manager ... control+alt+delete on windows Xp it shows you the cpu usage and the memory usage implementing it in a skin would'nt be of any use because as stated before it would be too late to do anything about it.

Mensajes Thu 07 Jul 05 @ 7:40 pm
why be against,

it could be an option has to put on the skin

if you don't use it , its ok
but il somebody need it , il can be on an skin

it is the progrest.

Why the sampler
Why the Video
why the Time-stretch
Why the Indicator for CPU usage
Why develope the software

Mensajes Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 6:01 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
As skin element is good idea.
Let me add the bitrate, and timecode quality (%) (like final scracth) as skin elements too.

Mensajes Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 1:09 pm
yeah,

and the CPU temp.

Mensajes Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 2:21 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i dont see how u can compare time stretch, video and etc. to the need of a cpu usage indicator ..the one things the other have in common is that there actually part of the program and are needed for the features to work ... how will cpu usage even help? all it's gonna tell u is what u probably already know.
also its gonna use up more cpu process just telling you what its using.... i would just get a 3rd party program for the temp and cpu usage and run it whenever you want to that would be more helpful than overloading virtualdj's software with un-dj/vj or even kj related features the software is already a superb value compare to the others that can do videos and karaoke as well as dj....and they have no cpu usage indicator and oh yeah there also alot more money

Mensajes Fri 08 Jul 05 @ 5:22 pm
it is just an example,

some DJ are against the progrest
like who just mix on Vinils, the said "CD and PC are just for kids and dummy"

but who want the progrest need new tools. The CPU indicator is not an impressive tools, but we play music on an PC and the PC have an CPU.

Its like the Buffer Indicator on an CD Player , it is not necessary, but it is useful, you can know how long the Song need to be loaded, and if the CD are in good condition or in poorly readable condition,

With an CPU Indicator you can know if an video are to heavy on the CPU ....

Mensajes Sat 09 Jul 05 @ 12:43 am
it is a verry good point most of the time when omst people are looking through their files for a song to play next you have to ask yourself 'is it going to be too much and make it crash' both for loading video files encoded using high compression or large file size and of mp3's that are longer than 15 mins long. If you have never had to do this you are most certainly in the minority as we dont all have super super computers most using laptops. knowing what the computer is up to helps better understand how to react to it (eg allowing the computer some time while it is busy and not clicking away wondering why its not working then causing it to overload and crash). Also knowing your pc is running hot (far more likely to be unreliable) can allow you to change the arangement of equipment and cooling. these simple features can make a large difference to this software and how well it performs under use.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 2:30 am
PS your english is crap

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 2:30 am
johansPRO InfinityMember since 2005
OK I read some pro & contra of having a CPU usage indicator.

I know very well that when you are on 100% CPU it is maybe too late to do something.
I said maybe, as you can close the video window, look for non video file for the next song ...
but main reason of my request is like DJ Zim Zimma and a few others also tried to explain before.
When system is at 100% then there is for a small period no reaction on the mouse, then you get nervous as you are in the search for the next song and you start clicking around and then cause finally a shutdown/error etc...

At that moment they only thing you can do is yell into the mike "Sorry folks i'm using Virtual DJ" and
cross your fingers that no one in the public is shouting back "Buy a faster PC" (don't take this sentence too serious, it's only a joke but also an expression for my frustration when VDJ hangs due to usage of video.

As I stated before, this is a very easy to be implemented functionality and when it is skinnable everybody can use it at free choice.
You love it, you skin it - you hate it well ... hide it (everybody happy)

Video is fun but demands a lot of your harware resources and if they are on the limit like mine (P4 2.4G with 1GB RAM) i consider my request as resonable.

If it is not worth to implement this functionality, fine by me but please adjust the "recommended specifications" as for usage with video they are not correct.

Johans

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 05 @ 9:31 pm
yeah

(DJ Zim Zimma , I know)

Mensajes Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 4:20 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
I agree, the more options the better. If you don't want a CPU meter in your skin, then just don't implement it, or just hide it, or use a skin that doesn't have it. Being able to see any info needed in a single glance without having to switch between programs, etc. then the more time you have to concentrate on the important (and fun) stuff... mixing.

Good suggestion. I personally would use it.

Mensajes Fri 15 Jul 05 @ 3:54 pm
Same problem. Only audio involved. I run vdj 6.0.1 pro on a P4 2.93 GHz and 2 GB ram, XP Home sp3. I cleaned my registry, I stopped all non needed services, I turned off basic interpolation, I did a defrag ....... Still have cpu issues when loading tracks, no matter wether I use or not cpu meter skin. I'm now trying to use an older version of vdj but the one that was bundled with my dj console RMX wich definately works better! does not have any options/playlist (even though I bought it!!!). I'm considering turning to manual 100% so if something wrong happenz I can only blame myself

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 09 @ 6:02 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Please don't bump an old thread (over 4 years old?!) in the wishes forum - if you have a problem start a post or contribute to an existing post on the topic in the correct forum.

Thanks. Thread locked.

Mensajes Fri 09 Oct 09 @ 6:35 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)