Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Help! Laptop Or Desktop - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Laptop advantages:

Portability
Screen built in

Desktop advantages:

Choice of video cards
Multiple HDD bays for redundancy (raid etc.)

Keith

Mensajes Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 12:20 pm
I've just purchased a large mixer Rack case for my rack mount based computer system.
I'm interested in any photos and designs of systems to mount a lcd screen either fold down or lift up style.

Mensajes Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 7:44 am
jayjakLE userMember since 2011
I have an alienware mx11 witch is made by dell and it is amazing, very pricey but dell makes an amazing product well worth the money spent

Mensajes Sun 03 Jul 11 @ 3:12 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
Only just saw this reply now the topic has been bumped!

coach k wrote :
Dude check your facts before speaking, I am just one of 1000's who had this issue, plus I met plenty of those people as well! Let's not forget the fact of me going to a staples to have my Dell desktop fixed and he showed me at least 20 Dell computers that all somehow got viruses only days after their warranties expired! DELL SUCKS!!! SO HAVE FUN RUBBING!!!

How does a computer suddenly get a virus? The only way it could suddenly get a virus is if the user has managed to get it infected with no/out-of-date AV - cracked software, dodgy websites, infected LAN that kind of thing. I have no need to 'check my facts'. It sounds like you're accusing Dell of infecting the computer with a virus once the warranty expires. That would be a massive mistake for a business to make - especially one the size of Dell and one I've seen no evidence to support in my last career working for many large corporates a fair few of whom were using Dell too.

For the record I have 3 dell laptops here, all out of warranty, all working perfectly. I'm about to replace my gig Dell with a new machine (looking like a Clevo machine at the moment) and it's still performing extremely well - in fact I'd say it probably still beats a large amount of current laptops despite being 4 years old.

I've also had positive experience with Dell when I managed to damage the SATA ribbon cable to the drive bay on my gig machine. I rang Dell support (who also offered to replace any worn/damaged/scratched body parts!) and the next working day an engineer came to my house and replaced it. Obviously it's the only time I've dealt with them but it was a positive experience for me.

As for laptop vs desktop? Entirely a personal choice, there are positive and negative points for both.

Mensajes Sun 03 Jul 11 @ 5:21 am
Dj-Milz.Assam wrote :
Bloody hell, it doesnt really matter anymore even a cheap lappy will do the job now.

but cheap lappys got low ram, wont it lag?

Laptops with 4gb are really cheap and core 2duos have been replaced with the I series.

There cheap

Mensajes Sun 03 Jul 11 @ 5:48 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
go for a laptop, the reason i say this is,

1: Portability (if you are mobile, then you are going to need something thats easy to move around. on top of this if you need to work on cue points set building etc, you can dump it on your lap and sit down to work)

2: Accesssability (if a problem occurs, you can access all cables/connections/attachments from your standing position in your booth, you wont have to pull out the rack or mess about with reach around cabeling)

3: Style (asthetically a laptop loocs far better than a pc monitor and you know what generl public are like, they judge books by their cover)

4: Price (desktops these days tend to be higher priced than laptops of equal specification, giving you a lower cost both to buy and replace if ever soething went wrong

5: Appreciation (youd appreciate a laptop more due to all of the above)

or something like that

Mensajes Sun 03 Jul 11 @ 7:40 am
laptop all the way, why?

MOBILITY.

end of thread.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 2:05 am
SBDJ wrote :
coach k wrote :
Stay away from Dell and their notorious extended warranties, where your computer somehow gets a virus only weeks after the warranty ends.

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter rubbish.

yup it is !!! im a pc tech & warranties have nothing to do with getting a virus people get a virus from = 1st not having anti-virus software installed & 2nd just getting on the internet & downloading anythang & everythang

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 7:41 am
Dozo10PRO InfinityMember since 2011
SBDJ wrote :
coach k wrote :
Stay away from Dell and their notorious extended warranties, where your computer somehow gets a virus only weeks after the warranty ends.

I'm sorry but this is complete and utter rubbish.

+1
i used to work for a big company with over 5000 dell's in use of wich 1000 where laptops and never heard or experienced this.
I was one of the 20 system engineers there ;)
the company used From the models d500 until e6500 and everything in between.

And yes u want a laptop ( mobility ;)

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 11:37 am
I just like the phase "utter rubbish". It's not just "rubbish", it is "utter rubbish". I can't stop laughing. Plus, I can hear him saying it with his Queens English accent. I mean, "utter rubbish" sounds so much better than "bullshit", and it is not as offensive. Plus, it's true. I have had so many Dell computers, I can't even remember. I have had nothing but great experience with them. I still have my custom built desktop, and will be upgrading when I get some money. I will keep the case I have and upgrade the motherboard, chip, videocard, and RAM.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 12:04 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
I can't stop laughing. Plus, I can hear him saying it with his Queens English accent..

I love this, I dont think there's very many people in England that can actually speak the queens english. What if he's from birmingham? or Newcastle or worse still Carlisle or Glasgow?

Americans make me laugh sometimes. I love you guys. So nieve yet so brilliantly funny.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 1:18 pm
At least some people can spell properly along with using correct grammar, punctuation and capital letters where required. :)

I have a Dell desktop from 2001 that still runs XP perfectly as a media server. Maybe they're not as good these days due to cost cutting meaning cheaper components which is an industry wide problem, but that old one is still perfect today.

Keith

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 1:27 pm
haha, very true keith, very true. I should probably re read my posts before i hit send. still, at least he's not a monkey hanger ey?

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 1:45 pm
Blulite wrote :
I can't stop laughing. Plus, I can hear him saying it with his Queens English accent..

I love this, I dont think there's very many people in England that can actually speak the queens english. What if he's from birmingham? or Newcastle or worse still Carlisle or Glasgow?

Americans make me laugh sometimes. I love you guys. So nieve yet so brilliantly funny.

I am not naive (spelled correctly). I can see that you don't get it or me. I used the term "Queens English" to differentiate between the English I speak (if you can call it English), and the English you guys speak. Only you can tell the difference in the accents, from those places that you mentioned. As an American, I am sure it would all sound the same to me. So, if it would make it better for you, remove "Queen" from my statement. My point was the accent, since we do not use the term "utter rubbish" here. I like it because it is straight to the point.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 3:58 pm
im using 2 regular speakers but only one play and im using the yamaha mixing control MG102c can some one help me how to making play on both

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 5:15 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
OT but nope not a brummie! I was raised in good old royal Berkshire and my accent seems to be perceived as very posh up north!

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 5:40 pm

I am not naive (spelled correctly). I can see that you don't get it or me. I used the term "Queens English" to differentiate between the English I speak (if you can call it English), and the English you guys speak. Only you can tell the difference in the accents, from those places that you mentioned. As an American, I am sure it would all sound the same to me. So, if it would make it better for you, remove "Queen" from my statement. My point was the accent, since we do not use the term "utter rubbish" here. I like it because it is straight to the point.

i understood your statement, sorry if my comment came across wrong, i meant naive (yes my spellings bad) in a good way. i dont mean it as an insult.

regional dialects in england are vast and varied. for instance, i come from hartlepool, but if i travel just 11 miles away to middlesbrough the dialect is totally different. if i go 15 miles to sunderland it again is completely different and 20 miles to newcastle is almost a different language their accent is so strong. imagine the difference between new york and alabama. well some dialects here are really strong from town to town as opposed to varied by region. it is not just an american thing for people to stereotype the english to all talk queens english.

as it happens most foreigners speak better english than we do. so technically everyone else speaks more towards queens english than we do. most english speak a lot slang which again varies from town to town.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 5:41 pm
SBDJ wrote :
OT but nope not a brummie! I was raised in good old royal Berkshire and my accent seems to be perceived as very posh up north!

lol the first thing that pops into my head when Berkshire is mentioned is Ali G. that movie is so out of place for berkshire.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 5:45 pm
you wimps have no command of the english whatsoever.......

i don't need any stinking Rand-McNally to look up my words , you bi-farcated pedestrians ....

anthropomorphic homo sapiens ......

festering plebiscites.....

sorry 'bout the shocking toilet mouth .......

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 6:24 pm
Yo Blulite, all is well on the western front. You are right, New York and Alabama, way different. Did not realize that there was such a difference in the regions you describe. I still will not be able to tell the difference, because I am not there. Chuck, you know you can't use those big words with them.

Mensajes Thu 14 Jul 11 @ 6:34 pm
82%