Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Is Itunes a legal source to buy your music

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I've heard beatport, walmart, rhapsody, itunes, idjpool.

If you buy your music from itunes is it legal

Mensajes Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 9:31 pm
Also what are some other legal sites ?? And Amazon ?????

Mensajes Fri 10 Jun 11 @ 9:32 pm
What do you mean is it legal?
If you purchase your music in a way that supports the artist that created it, then you legally own the music that you purchased. Itunes and Amazon are both viable sources. There are some other really great ones you can find as well, like Beatport.

Mensajes Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 1:36 am
KefkaHome userMember since 2011
It's definitely legal. Another good site that hasn't been named yet is trackitdown.net

Mensajes Sun 12 Jun 11 @ 10:39 am
JanzehPRO InfinityMember since 2010
I don't know about other countries, but here in Denmark, you're actually not allowed to play music bought from iTunes as a DJ. The songs bought from there are only from private use. You're only allowed to DJ with songs bought from actual DJ site, beatport etc., where the music is often a bit more expensive.

That said, some tracks are only available from iTunes, so what do you do? I think most artists would love to have their music played by DJs, so if iTunes is the only place to get it what to do you? Personally I try to look around at DJ sites, then go for iTunes if nothing else works. I think that as long as you payed for it, you should be allowed to play it ;-)!

Mensajes Mon 13 Jun 11 @ 3:47 am
You guys need to read the user agreement that you agree to when you signed up for iTunes. If you are just playing for yourself and your friends, then using iTunes files is legal. However, if you are wanting to be a real DJ and play for money...or even for free at a public location, then it is ILLEGAL to use iTunes files. Why the heck programs like VDJ and Traktor promote iTunes is beyond me...as far as I'm concerned its a scam and someone should sue them over it. I've spent hundreds of dollars downloading tunes from iTunes for our business, and now find out that I'm screwed as I cannot legally use the files, and I cannot write them off on my taxes as a business expense - so I'll just have to eat the lost money. Tis what you get when you don't read the fine print!

With that said, the chances of getting caught and fined for using iTues files is slim to none- unless you DJ in a high profile club - then the industry cops will definitely be there sooner or later checking out the Venue's llicenses...and you never know if they are going to check you out. From the stories I've read, usually if you have all original purchased CDs on you they leave you alone. But if you are playing strictly from a computer, they have a tendency to take interest, and if you are part of a company or association with multiple DJ's there is a very high chance they will check out that you have proof that your music is legit. Although they are mainly looking for places that have bought one legal public licensed copy and sharing it with multiple DJs (which is a no-no)- you never know when you are going to get lucky enough to get that one a-hole agent that is out to make a name for themselves on your dime.

Help get the word out, iTunes is NOT for DJs who play publicly... as DJs we should yank the plug on iTunes and support sources that support us. I'm still checking into it, but supposedly beatport has DJ files that can be used publicly.

Mensajes Mon 12 Mar 12 @ 12:55 am
DjCaroPRO InfinityMember since 2006
DJ Dave SU1 wrote :
, if you are wanting to be a real DJ and play for money...or even for free at a public location, then it is ILLEGAL to use iTunes files.

NO , you are wrong .
Is 100% legal to play Itunes files .

Mensajes Tue 13 Mar 12 @ 10:04 am
DJ Caro - you are RIGHT!

..... I finally got a legal response back from one of the main 3 industries in the US... here is the response from SESAC:

"SESAC does not issue Performance License Agreements to DJs. The reason we do not offer a DJ license is because the Federal Copyright Law requires the venue where the music is performed to be licensed. As long as the venue is licensed for forms of mechanical music (which is music that is not performed by a live performer), then music can be performed there and that satisfies the requirements of the copyright law. So, as you stated below the performance license supersedes the "for private use" clauses."

So this means that >>>in the US<<<, that all paid for music sources are valid and legal to be used in the US professionally as long as the venue has a proper license - at least as far as SESAC is concerned. Now we just have to hear from ASCAP and BMI - but I would expect the same to be true for them as well.

My apologies if I led anyone astray - its amazing how in all the discussions, on various DJ forums where I raised this topic, there were people arguing both sides saying it was legal and illegal - but no one had actually seriously verified one way or the other. I had some friends that were studying to become lawyers and they said from a layer's point of view it would be illegal to use those files...interesting that! Just goes to show you have to sometimes go to the source of things to find the truth.

If nothing else, I now have a huge list of music file resources from all those who have weighed in on this topic. Thank you to everyone who took the time to reply.

Mensajes Thu 29 Mar 12 @ 3:38 pm
Yes iTunes Music is totally legal..

There is no issue.

Mensajes Mon 22 Dec 14 @ 8:15 am
I agree with most of u guys.. iTunes is legal!

Mensajes Tue 13 Jan 15 @ 4:14 pm
itunes is not legal - read the terms and it doesn't necessarily have anything to do with ascap, bmi, sesac - trying asking the RIAA

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 7:55 am
So Apple are selling music illegally? I think you need to rephrase your statement.

Mensajes Fri 31 Aug 18 @ 4:41 pm
The question was asked and answered in 2011, on this same page. Please read the whole thread if you have any doubts, and don't open old threads, thank you.

Locked by AMAHM

Mensajes Sun 02 Sep 18 @ 5:46 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)