Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: Reading and understanding the waveform

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Some tracks are recorded at different volumes.

As useful as the waveform is as a visual aid to position in the track, and identifying the louder and softer parts of the track, could a later version include the facility to show the overall volume of the track, as a visual aid to my ear, to 'see' whether I need to adjust the gain on either track accordingly?

I appreciate the auto-gain+remember feature - surely this would be the next logical step?

Thanks!

Mensajes Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 3:58 pm
There are two kinds of "volume"
1) The "peak" volume. That is what waveforms DO show in the first place. If you have the gain option to "auto" or "auto+remember" VirtualDj normalizes the track, thus the highest peak volume of each track will always be maximized. Peak volume is not constant throughout the trsck and that's what you call "loud" and "soft" parts of the song.
2) The "R.M.S." volume. R.M.S. stands for "Root Mean Square" and is a "constant" calculated value.
RMS volume is the "overall loudness" of the track. Two different tracks with the same peak volume will usually have different RMS volume.
RMS volume is what you are asking to see on the waves.
However RMS volume as I said above is a plain constant number and it can't be represented by a waveform.
Currently VDJ does not calculate the RMS volume of songs. But even if it does some time in the future, this info will not be able to be represented on the waveform since it would be just a flat line throughout the entire wave.

So:
Yes RMS volume could be handy in some cases but if it ever makes it on the software it will be just a number on a textzone.

Mensajes Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 4:49 pm
There is a software out there that when the gain is adjusted the waveform (small wave that is) will increase or decrease. Someone asked for this feature awhile back also. I wanna say its the software Atomix bought out, not a 100% though..........

Not sure if thats even what hes asking for here.

Mensajes Thu 22 Nov 12 @ 6:07 pm
Honestly, I can't see how this could become useful. I use DAW's and work with waves all the time. Viewing peak levels is useful when the wave has a reasonable height eg 300 pixels. With a wave that's 30/40/50 pixels tall it's insane to try to shrink them more. Not only that, but you won't be actually seeing any change when you do your typical gain adjustments. In order to "view" a change the actual gain change should be dramatic.

Mensajes Fri 23 Nov 12 @ 12:51 am
What ever happened to using your ears and the meters on your mixer?

:-/

Mensajes Fri 23 Nov 12 @ 4:35 am
why will i lie to you. sometimes when i use the headphones through virtual dj, i just cant get to level the two volumes. i mean, i hear it SO LOW in my ear and then on the output is SO LOUD compared to the song playing. its just ridiculous. i mean wtf sometimes i just dont know if its virtual dj that has some glitch or whatever or is it my NS4 numark, that's failing

Mensajes Wed 28 Aug 13 @ 5:37 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)