Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: A better karaoke plugin

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I was hoping that the karaoke plugin would have been significantly improved in version 8, but alas, no. I suspect I speak for a lot of fellow KJs on here when I say that we don't particularly need automation - we're quite capable of loading karaoke tracks on one deck and an automix playlist of background tracks on the other. What would REALLY be useful would be to have a message in the corner of the screen showing who's up next. How often do you pick up the mic at the end of a song to call the next on the list, only to find they've wandered off to the toilet, or gone out outside for a smoke? A "who's next" on screen, linked to the karaoke playlist, would be absolutely invaluable in helping the night run smoothly. Pretty much every other karaoke program can do this much and more besides. Pretty please Atomix! :)

Mensajes Fri 25 Jul 14 @ 6:46 pm
I would be ready to go all the way with a karaoke plugin if it was worth it. Problem is a lot of you want something for free and because of that you don't get much.

I have a pretty good code base for karaoke with image and video backgrounds and would need to add database support, convert to VDJ8, and some other things. Main question is who and how many would buy it and for how much. Not doing it for free. You want something cool or not?

I would not be asking for 'better'. I would be asking for great. Better than nothing still amounts to about nothing.

Mensajes Fri 25 Jul 14 @ 7:28 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
I don't know much about karaoke but from what I've figured of your ask is, if the VDJ logo that is on the big screen could instead display text of the next singer in your playlist/running order life would be easier. It would never completely avoid participants smoking/toileting at the wrong time, (people are people)
I'm only saying this as it sounds to me it could be an easy fix to replace the VDJ logo with text from the singer field, or perhaps the the next track artist, title for the request type djs.

Mensajes Sat 26 Jul 14 @ 5:03 pm
Don, if this was released as something like an enhanced, karaoke-equipped version of EV, then sure, I'd pay for it. In an ideal world, you'd be able to drag tracks from the browser into a karaoke playlist (if not VDJ's internal karaoke playlist then a dedicated one in the plugin), at which point it would prompt you for a singer's name. The display could be customised, to allow you to decide where and how the text appears, be it scrolling text or popping up in the corner. There would be options to display "now playing" or not, and options to display the next singer, or maybe even the next couple of singers. If a singer is called but doesn't appear, then moving tracks around in the playlist (or deleting them) should update the onscreen info as necessary. I wouldn't be that interested in playback automation, the ability to drag and drop tracks from the playlist onto the deck would be fine. I'm not a programmer, so I don't know how feasable all this is, but like I said, it's an "ideal world" scenario. If it was incorporated with EV's text and video features, then so much the better, then the same plugin could handle the video resizing, scrolling messages and logos etc without having to run two different video plugins at once. EM is around $60 if memory serves, I'd happily pay that for "Essential Visuals - Karaoke Edition"...

Mensajes Sun 27 Jul 14 @ 7:08 pm
I started on Essential Karaoke a few years ago. Prior to VDJ8, it installed as a beta when you installed Essential Media. It has some cool features in it, but has a ways to go. It never got finished because for one I have no support here for it and for two, it seems almost a waste of time to do anything for VDJ economics wise.

Here's some of the things it does now:

1) Allows for building a play list via drag drop from file folders. A playlist can contain any video, image, cdg, or audio file. Any one of these can contain video or image backgrounds or not. Playlist can be saved or loaded at anytime.

2) A playlist has karaoke files in it of course as well as intermission files. Intermission files are meant to played between singers and can be video, advertisement, etc, CDG files are automatically picked up as karaoke files and the other file type go in as intermission files. These type can be change to either one at any time. Intermission files are optional.

3) You can reorganize the playlist by just dragging items up or down.

4) Keeps a running estimate of the time to play. As time goes on this estimated is updated.

5) Supports a camera that can be used as a background for CDG files. EK removes the bland background from the CDG files so you can use much more interesting backgrounds.

6) Supports multiple display windows. There are options for a karaoke window, a camera window, and the VDJ window. Each can be mixed and matched however you want.

Here's what it looks like now. You just drag files on the the playlist and then you can add a singers name. They shrink the image down when you upload it here so It is sharper and text larger than what you see here. Also when this was being designed I had to worry about fitting into the tiny area of the skin. Well that's not a problem with VDJ8. EK does have it's own external window though in VDJ7.

Things like next singer up and along those lines are simple and not a problem

Dragging from VDJ folders never worked in VDJ7. They used some undocumented approach to it and not the standard way. At any rate I can read the VDJ database and go from there. The management of your karaoke files, singer history, playlist, etc. becomes the responsibility of EK and not VDJ. It would use it's own database in other words for tracking information and look up.

I would not be allowing VDJ to play anything. This again would be the responsibility of EK and the only way to guarantee correctness. It would visualize on any deck or master of course or in another window besides the VDJ window, but EK would be doing all the playback of audio, video, and do it's own management.

If there was at least about 200 people interested it purchasing such a program, then it might be worth it. I also have an interest in getting it done, but can't sit here and do it for nothing.

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 2:20 am
The plugin wouldn't be using the VDJ deck for playback? That would be a bit of a dealbreaker for me I'm afraid - for one I set my own cuepoints on karaoke tracks, and operate the decks with a MIDI controller. I also rely on VDJ's database, using such things as searching by most recently played, number of plays etc. All I'm after personally is a standard, manually controlled "2 decks and a mixer" kind of experience, but with the "next singer" automatically appearing on screen...

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 4:40 am
So there you go. Any incentive for me doing it goes away by turning the playback over to some other program. No control, no cool features, no guarantee of correctness, and VDJ8 CDG playback is horrible. You are back to having next to nothing in my opinion.

EK could be controllable via VDJ script but not sure that would be enough to suit your purposes.

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 10:10 am
djdadPRO InfinityDevelopment ManagerMember since 2005
Don, i ll try to be as much polite as i can, but keep in mind that English is not my mother language, so if my post kinda offend you i apologize in advance.

First, you will have to take a look at the very top, at the title of this forum. This is where VirtualDJ users post their wishes for VirtualDJ.

Now, we completely understand that for the Karaoke DJs, version 8 lacks of features, but this will change soon hopefully. In the meantime, VirtualDJ users can still use version 7 and the Karaoke rotation manager, and of course post here any ideas that they may have in order to help us offering the Plugin they would want.

So if you intent to build one on your own, of course you are free to do that, but please open a new thread in the Plugins Forums and lets not distract users from posting here their requests for this software.

I will skip the negative words you used about no "cool features" etc, cause i really didnt understand if you were referring to VirtualDJ or your potential application.

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 10:34 pm
Of course I was just responding to something people have been wishing they had for four years. Just trying to get a feel if it worth it or not to go down that path and does not appear to be. You don't have to mix words with me djdad. Say what you think. It won't offend me. I would just listen to see if there was anything constructive about it and move on.

djdad wrote :
I will skip the negative words you used about no "cool features" etc, cause i really didnt understand if you were referring to VirtualDJ or your potential application.

You know you can never say enough in text without using too much text and sometimes things come out as hard edged. I am a straight up honest person and don't like to mix words but I was referring to VDJ7 and VDJ8 lack of karaoke features. Everyone already knows this and so nothing knew. By the way, in person it is hard to find me without a smile :) even though communicating about programming and the like can sound harsh at times. I have been asked many times about karaoke in VDJ. You would have to know why that is.

Mensajes Mon 28 Jul 14 @ 11:07 pm
cleio81PRO InfinityMember since 2012
I agree that the added up next feature would be very nice but over all i am pretty happy with the VDJ 8 karaoke... thing. at least now i can see what im doing under the window. lol. and i love the background music option.
the ability to add ads and stuff in between singers would be sweet too.

Mensajes Fri 01 Aug 14 @ 4:22 pm
There are a few programs out there that have these capabilities already, but most of them are too clunky and/or complicated to get them to do the things you want them to do.

I like VDJ a lot and, too, would like to see some better capabilities like:

Next Singer
Current Time Displayed on screen (could also be time for next singer to appear)
Ads
Marquees
Slideshows
Etc.

Mensajes Sun 12 Oct 14 @ 4:54 pm
Good Day Gentlemen, My name is Gene Hunter. I am a Kj / DJ / Drummer. I have been in the business for about 10 years now. I've used VDJ the entire time for my karaoke business. As to your improvements to VDJ 8 for karaoke, I would be willing to pay for the improvements to the product. What I would also like to see is a catalog database for karaoke that would give the singer / customer the ability to choose a song and send it to the host via cell phone / tablet. I have seen this enhancement available in other software. PCDJ (Karaoki) is currently beta testing this option . Throw us a pricing option. I don't do that many freebies either.

Mensajes Wed 22 Oct 14 @ 12:38 pm
I just use the text scroll function, its kind of a pain having to edit it each singer but it works decently.

I usually only have the next 3 singers up so its easy to manage but I format like this

*** UP NEXT - 1 Superman - 2 Batman - 3 Frank ***

Then set it to scroll and it just goes around the screen on the bottom.

Mensajes Tue 08 Sep 15 @ 10:21 pm
i need the plug in for karaoke for virtual dj

Mensajes Fri 04 Aug 17 @ 6:31 pm
KEVIN1961 wrote :
i need the plug in for karaoke for virtual dj

I don't think there there is any
Karaoke support is built into the SW

Try playing a MP3+G file
The software will by default start the video player for the lyrics part, and of course play the audio at the same time
The mixing between karaoke files works pretty much the same way as when mixing videos

Mensajes Sat 05 Aug 17 @ 3:35 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)