Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: POI (Tricks n Tips)............ - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

As the title says, let talk about POI's and how everyone is using them.

From effects to scripts, let's see it, hear it and talk about it.

This is a VERY, VERY POWERFUL TOOL and maybe some here don't understand it's full potential (myself included).......

and GO........

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 10:01 am
[thinks]

It would be good if we could share POIs.

Some way of exporting and uploading them so that others could apply them to the same track(s) without needing to spend X minutes/hours/days doing all the editing work.

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 10:20 am
locodogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
We can share them (extracted from the DB via text)

As for ones worth sharing, it's tricky to say, it all depends on the track. I've got one track that sometimes I loop at a certain point, If I do loop it it's always 8 beats 4 times.
So a action poi in the middle of that loop

cycle 'loopCount' 5 & var_equal 'loopCount' 4 ? loop : nothing

every time it runs over the poi it increases loopCount by 1, once it ==4 it turns the loop off. if it isn't in the loop then

If you've got a video with a MTV break in the middle you can skip it with a goto +X APOI
FX if a track really suits an fx for a section, on point effect_active 'Name' 1 off point effect_active 'Name' 0
Action POI make the track cleaner redundant, (much quicker and more editable, IDK about the video editor)
I've proven perfect automixing with poi (pretty soulless if you ask me and rigid but it works perfectly {double fist pump guetta mixing!})

APOI as they are only any use for single tracks for single scenarios ,,,,,, But
My recent scripting venture pre-emptively puts action poi into tracks (out of the way) that can be repositioned on the fly and that allows a lot of things previously thought impossible (timed FX, slipped time stretch Flip, automated slider sweeps) . But the database txt work is a chore, fortunately that can be automated.

The future I see is effect_select skin stuff moved to a custom button (go on skinners think about it what's the difference between customs & effect_select?), hardware remapped to suit and (at least 50) dormant POI on every track, then maybe 100 custom buttons for script sharing i.e. put a long script on an invisible (or at least panelled out of sight) custom button #70 then long poi become easier, they just call custom button 70
The more I learn the more I admire the openness of VDJ, it's all script and it's all editable/automatable

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 11:56 am
Well I guess no one but us 3 use the POI's......... Well I have some setup to switch to certain sample banks and then turn on certain samples. I have video effects on tracks and a few loops.

Like I said I'm still learning and will eventually use this feature more as time presses on.

Anyways Thanks for sharing 👍

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 5:13 pm
Give 'em time, Huey....

Some DJs don't come here every few minutes! :-)

Generally speaking though, this whole POI thing is not exactly the most user friendly GUI.

I can see why some would avoid it, like assigning something to a custom button or making a change to a skin. You do need to put some thought in to it.

Not everyone's got the time or the inclination. That was my thinking behind the sharing thing. Those with the know-how could upload stuff so it can be used by everyone.

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 5:33 pm
I just don't understand any of it at the moment.

Could someone post a video of what the results are of using the POI. Then tell us how you did it.

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 7:54 pm
DJ_SVOPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I'm not so knowledgeable about all of this but definitely read and learn from all the posts you guys make. I'm not the only one in this position but I think we're all thankful for all your contributions and keep on learning every day.

So thank you!

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 14 @ 8:49 pm
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Well I have some setup to switch to ..... turn on certain samples.

Aye that's a good use, mash up making can be done in a very similar way. Instead of calling for a sample you call a track to load and play on another deck

The problem (with POI) is while the results can be amazing the implementation is very dry. Atomix produced videos have to be short to keep people's attention because of this folk just can't see the bigger picture.

One lol I've used poi for, my mate kept playing one track too often so I slipped a variable dependant goto+2.5 into the breakdown when it wouldn't be heard, he was tearing his hair out because he couldn't mix out correctly anymore, (Even funnier when I said I'll have a go and I turned the variable off and mixed out with no problems) Wayne I'm sorry X-)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 3:49 am
Oh that's cruel! Maybe time to change your name to sly dog instead. :-)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 5:21 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
locodog wrote :
beatbreaker1 wrote :
Well I have some setup to switch to ..... turn on certain samples.

Aye that's a good use, mash up making can be done in a very similar way. Instead of calling for a sample you call a track to load and play on another deck

I had the same idea a couple of months ago and called it "The POI Challenge".
AFAIK this idea reached some Atomix staff and maybe in the future there really will be a POI challenge where you could post your own mashup or remix or other cool stuff only done by POI's.

As you said, you could load songs into decks, play them, loop, modify EQs, samples.... (nearly) everything is possible.
I'd really love to see some great mashups scripted via POIs...

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 6:26 am
Ah, if only we had the Timeline.....

:-)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 7:09 am
Even though POI is very powerful ... For me it not convienent enough or even simple enough for things like creating mash ups.
Sure it can be done and more but I would have to learn to script it first.
I'm sure this would not be so attractive to most. Lets hope it can all become easier or someone write an easy to understand guide for non programmers on how to do this stuff.
Anyways just my 2 cents.

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 7:21 am
groovindj wrote :
Ah, if only we had the Timeline.....
:-)

We sort of do, if you're willing to think in an abstract way, boiled down what is timeline? It's a linear timed set of instructions, so use audacity to make a long low bit rate click track, put that on an inconsequential deck (#70) mute it's output and make the poi do stuff to other visible decks.

PachN wrote :

I had the same idea a couple of months ago and called it "The POI Challenge".
AFAIK this idea reached some Atomix staff and maybe in the future there really will be a POI challenge where you could post your own mashup or remix or other cool stuff only done by POI's.

Great minds think alike, that'd be a great promo for VDJ and it'd cost Atomix next to nowt (nothing) (track clearance might be tricky)
I'd be all over that like Whitney Houston on a crack pipe, it'd have to exclude VSTs also VDJFX that aren't available to all, Maybe a 6 minute time limit too.

@wickedmix I get ya, writing the script isn't easy until you understand it's rules, for the more involved stuff you do have to think a little bit like a programmer, it's all yes|no logic & remembering, recalling and incrementing variables, exactly how a pc works. but as a DJ you do think a bit like a programmer, (if I play this next and the crowd like it I'll play that next : but if they don't like it, I'll do something else)
All that said a mashup can be bit easier if you know deck 1 will always start and do this, deck 2 will do that. It's when you don't know this kind of stuff (it could be any deck) that's when scripts quickly double-quadruple in length
(most of my long-ass scripts are only long because they have to do extra checks just in case the user does something surprising)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 10:14 am
PachNPRO InfinityMember since 2009
locodog wrote :

Great minds think alike, that'd be a great promo for VDJ and it'd cost Atomix next to nowt (nothing) (track clearance might be tricky)

Exactly what I was thinking :)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 10:24 am
How do I go about setting up a loop that'll loop say 3 times and then exit out of the loop??

Right now I'm using "goto_cue 3" when the track reaches cue 4 but in doing that I usually have to have slip mood on and I'm trying to get away from. There have been times I've forgot to turn it on and just screwed up my mix, lmao!!

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 11:46 am
A.eXe 1PRO InfinityMember since 2011
First off... this topic was a great idea. There are a lot of users including myself that can benefit from this. I got this idea from a earlier post from locodog.
If you want to loop 3 times then exit out of the loop then....
Place the first action cue at the beginning of where you want to loop with the action 'loop 4' (Replace 4 with whatever loop size you want)
Place the next action cue directly after the first cue (I made mine invisible) with the action 'cycle "loopCount" 4 & var_equal "loopCount" 3 ? loop : nothing'

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 12:39 pm
Ok awesome!!

I did see that post but wasn't sure if that was the exact script I needed.

Thanks for the time and info fellas!! Let's keep the ideas coming 👍

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 1:15 pm
All pretty solid from Mackey 217, one extra to include (in case you use the 'loopCount' variable for several tracks)

cycle "loopCount" 4 & var_equal "loopCount" 3 ? loop & set 'loopcount' 0 : nothing

setting it to zero resets it, so it will work perfectly even if you use it in several tracks in the same session.
(Mackeys previous script left the variable at 3, so if in the same session you used the same scripts the first cycle would make the var zero, so it would take 4 loops to switch off
Doing these type of resets is is vital. You've got to remember the machine does as it's told and it remembers everything.

I personally would rewrite that script as

cycle "loopCount" 4 & var_equal "loopCount" 0 ? loop : nothing

As the poi is run-over loopcount = 0 and then it cycles to 1 , so the the ? response is nothing until 3 more passes (so 4 passes in total) of the POI, that way when the var is reset to zero (in the perfect state to be used again) the loop is switched off.

Or maybe I don't want to use a POI to start the loop, maybe if I put it in a loop (on the fly) over that point I want it loop 3 times, If I don't have it in a loop I want it to ignore it

loop ? cycle "loopCount" 3 & var_equal "loopCount" 0 ? loop : nothing : nothing

All I've done is ask: are you in a loop? Yes, do all that counting stuff previously explained : No, forget about it, it doesn't matter or change anything.

PS I've just run into a bug because of this :-)

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 1:43 pm
See when it comes to scripts that's where I get lost, querys kill me everytime, lol!!

Thanks for the explanation though 👍

Mensajes Fri 12 Dec 14 @ 2:32 pm
Here's an interesting one that displays a single POI performing a to 100% to 0% to 50% slider sweep & it introduces script sharing.

Put this on custom button 6.

var_equal '$oldFocus' 1 ? deck 1 select & set '$oldFocus' 0 : var_equal '$oldFocus' 2 ? deck 2 select & set '$oldFocus' 0 : var_equal '$oldFocus' 3 ? deck 3 select & set '$oldFocus' 0 : var_equal '$oldFocus' 4 ? deck 4 select & set '$oldFocus' 0 : nothing

Put this on an action poi, make the POI# "cue 200"

set '$oldFocus' '`get_defaultdeck' & var '$D7=1' ? deck 7 level 0% & deck default var_equal 'fStepStage1' 1 ? deck default var_equal 'fStepStage2' 1 ? deck default var_equal 'fStepStage3' 1 ? set 'fStepStage1' 0 & set 'fStepStage2' 0 & set 'fStepStage3' 0 & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto -4 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & set '$oldFocus' '`get_defaultdeck' & deck 7 unload & custom_button 6 : deck default filter +1% & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 50% ? set 'fStepStage3' 1 : nothing : deck default filter -1% & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 0% ? set 'fStepStage2' 1 : nothing : deck default filter +1% & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 100% ? set 'fStepStage1' 1 : nothing : set '$D7=1' 1 & deck default var_equal 'fStepStage1' 1 ? deck default var_equal 'fStepStage2' 1 ? deck default var_equal 'fStepStage3' 1 ? set 'fStepStage1' 0 & set 'fStepStage2' 0 & set 'fStepStage3' 0 & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto -8 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck 7 unload & custom_button 6 : deck default filter +1% & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 50% ? set 'fStepStage3' 1 : nothing : deck default filter -1% & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 0% ? set 'fStepStage2' 1 : nothing : deck default filter +1% & deck 7 load "C:\cheat.mp3" & deck 7 unload & deck 7 level 0% & custom_button 6 & set '$oldFocus' '`get_defaultdeck' & deck default clone_deck 7 & deck 7 pause & deck 7 goto +0.04 & deck 7 set_cue 200 & custom_button 6 & deck default filter 100% ? set 'fStepStage1' 1 : nothing

What happens, basically when the poi is run over the filter of the default deck will go up to 100% then down to 0% then back up to 50% over about 4 beats

What happens a bit more technically explained, when run over the current deck is cloned to deck 7 so all the jumping forward need to set the cue is done here where it can't be seen or heard, all you see/hear is the default deck playing and a cue jumping just before the playhead,

custom button 6 is a real time saver, without it the filter script would be massive, When you call custom 6 you get the filter script to stop what its doing and ask other questions (these extra questions would make the script long) when its done the extra questions, it goes back to the filter script where it left off

Mensajes Mon 15 Dec 14 @ 10:32 am
71%