Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ Skins

Tema: #SilverSleek2 - Page: 26

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

mjay350PRO InfinityMember since 2014
Hi George,

Thank you for a wonderful skin that I have really enjoyed using. Looking forward to the third version. Great work.

Mensajes Tue 19 Apr 16 @ 10:12 am
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
PhantomDeejay wrote :
No. #SilverSleek 2 is available only as 1920x1080 screen resolution.
VirtualDj 8 does automatic rescalling and there's no need to provide several screen resolutions for a skin.

For SilverSleek #3 (which is the successor of #SilverSleek 2) I may provide a second version for small screens (1366x768) but that's something that I will consider after I release SilverSleek #3 on it's original resolution (1920x1080)

As a 1366x768 user, this would be nice. In the past the proper resolution had lowered CPU usage. I would be interested to see if it makes a difference still. I don't have high CPU usage as it is, but, I remember when I showed almost no usage.

Mensajes Tue 19 Apr 16 @ 1:21 pm
A 1366x768 version would get my vote too.

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 4:41 pm
Most consumer grade laptops are 1366x768 so it does seem strange the VDJ8 native resolution is 1920x1080

I mentioned at the time during V8 development that there should have been "normal" and "HD" resolutions for skins but was told that the skins would use vector graphics and shrink as well as they would expand.

It hasn't exactly worked that well as many skins look terrible when made smaller.

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 5:22 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The skin engine can't use vector graphics yet.

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 5:31 pm
But at the point of V8 development it was supposed to, hence the fact that one skin size would fit all.

It didn't happen.

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 5:50 pm
Yup it's bad because SVG format is extremely powerfull, and notably in the case of a dj software.

Mensajes Thu 21 Apr 16 @ 9:28 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
A 1920x1080 graphic scaled down to 1366x768 will still look sharp though, I don't think there's that much difference with redoing all the graphics in 1366x768.

v8 does scale all elements though and then renders them at that resolution. So text, waveforms, cover art, browser are all rendered at whatever scale you resized the window too, and thus look exactly the same as they would on a 'native' 1366x768 skin.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 12:04 pm
The problem with skin designers using 1920x1080 as a base resolution is that when scaled down to a smaller screen (i.e. most laptops) the elements within the skin end up being too small.

When a skin is designed at (or for) 1366x768 the elements of the skin - knobs, buttons, waveforms, text - all tend to be larger so they look correct on a smaller screen, such as a typical 15" laptop screen.

On my 23" screen at home, the HD skins look great, but run the same skins on a 15" laptop and they become too cramped.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 12:26 pm
I know the skin resolution debate has been goin on for a while. But I have 3 laptops all 1920x1080 or higher, so to say that "most" are lower resolution isn't necessarily true.

I do agree that most low to mid spec machines area lower resolution though.
That is t me wanting to start a further debate about resolutions, low end vs high end by the way. Just my opinion.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 1:06 pm
djtouchdan wrote :
to say that "most" are lower resolution isn't necessarily true.

....which is why I didn't say it. I actually wrote "smaller screen". I think you'll agree that there aren't many laptops with 23"/24" screens.

The typical size is around 15" and some are even smaller. Shrink a HD VDJ 8 skin down to 15" or less and the on screen elements usually end up too small.

Look back at the VDJ 7 (or earlier) skins designed for lower resolutions/smaller screens and they typically have larger knobs/buttons etc.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 1:22 pm
Screen size has almost nothing to do with resolution though, and I'm using the default skin fine on 15" myself.

What you should be asking for then is a 11"/13" variant of the skin (which could very well still be 1920x1080 seeing how high resolutions are becoming more available at these sizes)

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 2:12 pm
Adion wrote :
So text,
Yeah and that is part of the problem, fonts are resized as well as graphical elements... Which is necessary to go along with the png.

Take a skin with a 1024x600 rez, and let's say a 100px decks height. When rescaling the png to a higher size, you ALSO increase the height of each elements so in another screen, let's say a 1920x1080 one, the decks would have almost twice the original height, right ?

With SVG format, those same decks COULD still have the same 100px height in either resolutions...

Just an example of what could be done. Don't take the values as is of course.

Adion wrote :
will still look sharp though,
I don't really agree here. The skins are beautiful in their native resolution, but once they are rescaled to a lower resolution, glitches happen and even sometimes there are 'missing' lines or cols... Which would never happen with SVG.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 3:22 pm
No, like I said text is rendered afterwards, so it is correctly rendered in the target size, rather than being rendered in the native size and then resized.

I'm not quite following your explanation of increasing the deck size.
If you have a 1024x600 skin and the deck height is 100px, it will indeed take about 190px height if you stretch it to 1920x1080.
I don't see what that has to do with svg or not. If you want the deck height to remain 100px, then you have to size it to still be 1024px wide on your 1920x1080 screen.

If you mean that you would like to stretch the decks only horizontally but not vertically, that's something else completely. Even if you would use vector graphics, it would still distort the aspect ratio, so jog wheels would become ovals instead of circles.
For sizing objects in such a way, there are some things currently available in the skin engine though, although they are a bit experimental still.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 4:11 pm
Adion wrote :
Even if you would use vector graphics, it would still distort the aspect ratio, so jog wheels would become ovals instead of circles.
No it wouldn't still distort anything, that's what I mean, and with svg you can make some parts distorting (the word is bad, would say expanding) either horizontally or vertically (or not at all) according to your needs.

Mensajes Sun 24 Apr 16 @ 10:06 pm
dcomoPRO InfinityMember since 2012
There's also some button elements which look pretty bad when not on a device with a retina-type screen.

My take on this is design something at a lower resolution and scale it up, rather than develop something higher and crossing fingers on the way down.

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 4:53 pm
Thinking out loud...

Some form of "smart skin" idea would be good. Something that could show more or less of the various skin components based on how much room there is.

So if you're on a small screen you get a basic layout, and on a large screen (higher res) you get the same layout as before - same size too - but with additional stuff around it.

Something modular would be good too. Different things in their own windows which can be positioned and locked/unlocked.

Mensajes Mon 25 Apr 16 @ 5:22 pm
I'll keep my #2 skin just because this is a wonderfull skin. Now I'm going to monitor the new "Silversleek #3" topic :)

Mensajes Tue 26 Apr 16 @ 9:15 am
Is there any chance to have a daylight option in the next update George? Thanks anyway for all those great feautures!

Mensajes Wed 25 May 16 @ 9:34 am

Mensajes Thu 26 May 16 @ 7:12 pm
100%