Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Amp on Table?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
Putting my amp on my table allows me to see its clip lights, and also modify my working high since I place my controller on the amp. Is this unprofessional?
While doing karaoke it is easy for a singer to clip the signal.
I could calibrate my mixer for the clipping of the amp, but that is indirect.
Also if the singers are going a little over the top I drop the amp volume settings from full on so as to bring in a safety factor to protect my speakers.
Comments?

Mensajes Sat 23 May 15 @ 8:32 am
Hello Mr. BigRon,
although I'm almost scared to give you a comment, I'll share my knowledge with you.
Putting your controller on top of your amp is a no no, 'cos amps produce lots of magnetic fields and it's better to keep them far apart, imho.
I work with three to four mics normaly, and I'm a bit old school, I treat VDJ as one input on my mixing desk(yamaha) 'cos then I can regulate every channel seperately, I can then cotrol each mic with a slider, FX, or whatever individualy. Therefore I never have to worry about clipping and never change my signal from VDJ, or, or, or to my ampliefiers.
I'm using active speakers nowadays, but it's the same priciple.
and there is a super app for iphone to measure the sound in a room, to see the difference from how you place your speakers, but that was another post and another day.
best wishes
ray

Mensajes Sat 23 May 15 @ 12:44 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It don't matter where you stick your amp Ron, you got a starcloth!!!... lol

I always stick my amp on top of a table to give me a bit of extra height for my mixer, mines flight cased, but as long as you are keeping those cables out of view it shouldn't matter.

Mensajes Sat 23 May 15 @ 12:47 pm
blckjckPRO InfinityMember since 2008
Because I do live sound as well, I have a bit more into my rig then most mobile DJ setups.
I started with passive gear, and the first thing I got was a compressor/limiter/gate to protect my equipment.
I have added a lot more to my processing since, but the biggest addition was my DBX Driverack PA+
I'll let you look up the bennifits of that kind of device, feel free to PM me if you have questions.

As far as placement, I keep doing my best to get equipment and cabling out of view when I'm on the "stage". If it's just me or karaoke, I let the automatic functions and limiting protect me after I've set it up.
For live sound when I position myself out in the audience, I put that rack on a table to see everything. There is a lot more dynamic interaction at that point. And I am not what people are watching.

Mensajes Sat 23 May 15 @ 4:41 pm
Hi Ray, it's the singers that are my problem. Most of the time I'm using my small rig, which is just 1k rms. It's a little underpowered for some venues. When I start running near full power, and then bring on a singer who wants to be the loudest thing of the evening I'm in trouble. It's then that I alter the volume on my amp. I don't believe that is right, but I have had a driver burn out in the past.
Blackjack's solution which is a limiter compressor works well, I have one, but never use it nowadays.
There is a disadvantage to my limiter compressor in that if a singer starts shouting then the music signal is reduced in comparison to their voice.
That means I want it on their voices alone ????
The amateurish method of placing a controller on a amp does not have any negative sound effects based on years of experience. I always thought that might be possible, but in my case practice has proved that it is not a technical problem.
It just looks rubbish in my eyes, I want things to look good, and not just sound good.

I'm walking the mobile dj's tightrope which is the balance between cost, fee, mobility, and quality.

PS Soulman our cousins from across the pond do seem to have most of us Brits beat when it comes to presentation. Examples to think about are Beatbreaker's, and Robin's excellent promo pictures. The problem is that they take a lot of matching.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 7:22 am
bigron1 wrote :

That means I want it on their voices alone ????

Ideally, yes. If it's just to catch peaks & prevent overloads then you could set a high compression ratio and threshold so that with normal singing it's not affecting the signal.

My choice would be to use a PA mixer for the mics. You can buy them with compressors on each mic channel.

bigron1 wrote :

our cousins from across the pond do seem to have most of us Brits beat when it comes to presentation.

I would say the opposite. Whereas DJs in the UK tend to use dedicated stands/booths, lots of the US guys are just plonking their gear on fold up tables. Of course there are exceptions (on both sides) but that's how I see it.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 7:57 am
I meant Tayla, not Soulman.

I have not dared take any new photos of my rig using the managment supplied poor quality tables, and cloths ( er none ! ) over the last few nights. On ebay I have seen good, and higher than normal tables, plus black table cloths, and I can use my star cloth to block the cables from view. This is one cheap solution, the other is a dedicated DJ booth, except I'm a KJ with maybe different requirements ?

@lGroovin "You can buy them with compressors on each mic channel" more money ! What I do at the moment is to alter voice volumes, tones, and effects on the fly. Maybe this is essential as sometimes my singers grow in confidence during a song, hence their voces are different at the end compared to the beginning.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 8:33 am
Hi Ron, yeah I know that problem,
may I ask what your setup is, where do you plug your mics in?

I use this setup most of the time;
pc with VDJ(or karafun for karaokeparties), hooked up to a Wego and a reloop neon, which then goes into a Yamaha MG10 XU(phono out from Wego) on channel 9/10.
2 SM58's on channels 1&2
radio mic on channel 3, Line6 with a headset on 1 and handheld on 2.
my outs from the mix desk are;
main out to my speakers(all active) or to an amp
booth out to floor monitors
headphone out to an in ear monitor that I wear.

The advantage is that I can control FX and levels on the mics(singers) very quickly, on the fly on the mixing desk, and the 2 mics have a compressor.
easypeasylemonsqueezy.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 10:35 am
This is the small rig which gets stretched occasionally.

MC6000
All Peavey : PV12 mixer, PV1500 amp and 1012 4 ohm 12" speakers.
Hence 500W RMS output per channel
2 x SM58 & a Trantec radio mic.
I normally try to use just 2 microphones which are connected to the PV12, and its built in effects .
Even then singers still wonder in front of speakers creating feedback.

I don't find it easy adapting to a karaoke singer who's vocal output, and tone varies.
Experienced karaoke singers are very easy to mix, and fortunately what I encounter most often.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 11:20 am
Ron, You should really consider using compressors for the mics.
It's very hard to get a proper, even output from mics, especially in karaoke and similar events.
You should not need to keep one hand on the amp level pot all the time.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 11:49 am
that sounds pretty good!
yes if the singers wander in front of the speakers you're always gonna get problems with feedback/howlround. That's why I try to get my speakers as far apart, and, away from my mics as poss. But, as a suggestion, I would say that maybe if you learn to try to change the levels directly on the mixer instead of on the amp it would be better, think of your mix desk as a controller, use the sliders to adjust each channel(maybe just the mic of the inhibriated person that's shouting into the mic, been there,done that,,,lol,,,) as the need may be.
I've seen some very good vids on it,,,somewhere,
and maybe you should consider how you are placing your speakers. I try to have my main speakers well in front of me/stage area, only my monitors are near me and I can't get feedback from my monitors.

edit, just noticed that that was the wrong pic, sorry.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 11:50 am
In my amp rack I use the dBX IEQ-31 which is excellent, since it's have a live feedback eleminator with very sharp notch filters continously scanning for feedback frequencies.
Recommended!

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 11:53 am
bigron1 wrote :
Peavey PV12 mixer,

While I did not find a 12, I see they have a 6,10, 14, etc. I'm going to go on the assumption that you have one of these.
These do have insert points on their channels. This is where you would insert a compressor/limiter for each mic. Then it would affect only the mic on that channel and not the whole output with music. If you set it correctly, controlled singers will sound good, uncontrolled singers will be reigned in better on the mix, and screamers won't hurt your gear. Since you've used one on your whole rig, I will assume you have one. I would put that on your mic's and just watch your overall output on your mixers vu meters.

bigron1 wrote :
Even then singers still wonder in front of speakers creating feedback.

Most feedback eliminators that I have found do not work to well. However, the Driverack series have implemented very good ones. They react quickly and do not notch out large portions of the sound. The Driverack is a pricey investment, but well worth it. I bought mine used at half the price.

If you look at my effects rack, the top three pieces are stereo compressors, so I can insert into 6 channels. My large mixer also has 4 channels of single knob compression. I use the compressors on the channels, and the Driverack on the final output.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 2:06 pm
raypitman wrote :

Putting your controller on top of your amp is a no no, 'cos amps produce lots of magnetic fields and it's better to keep them far apart, imho.
ray

It's not possible to state a general rule for magnetic fields related to amps. It depends highly on design of powersupply, power stages and so on.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 3:15 pm
blckjck it's a pv10.
Good assumption.
I have a Behringer Autocom pro MDX1400.
You suggest connecting it to the mic channel insert points?
If that worked it would be superb!

It probably is wise to keep electronic equipment away from a strong magnetic field created by an amp.
However in this case no harm has been done, and it allows me to set up in a very small area.
Flexibility is the key word.

There is an awful lot of good information for me to absorb in these threads.
The learning goes on !

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 3:49 pm
HipstaControlleristMember since 2015
Simplest answer is to have a mic for yourself and a separate one for the "talent". Humans cannot be trusted with microphones. Put a heavy compressor on it, a short cable and give them an inexpensive mic, Shure PG's are good for that.
I've had (good) mic's destroyed by drunks, speaker surge-protect bulbs blown by idiots who think they're Elvis and folks run-off into the bathroom with wireless mics!
I'm not against fun. but I never let people I don't personally trust touch anything expensive!

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 7:15 pm
bigron1 wrote :
You suggest connecting it to the mic channel insert points?

That is correct. Your user manual will show you the correct pin out for the insert Jack, but being a peavey I would expect it to follow the standard pin out.

bigron1 wrote :
I have a Behringer Autocom pro MDX1400.

Since that is a stereo compressor, there is a way to protect one microphone and your equipment. This would require you to run the system in mono. One side of the comoressor would be run inserted into the singers mic. The other side woul be between your mixer and your amp. While that comoressor does not have a true hard limiter, you can achieve this with aggressive compressor settings.

Mensajes Sun 24 May 15 @ 10:12 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)