Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Interview with atomix creators (from eJay)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

djbyteHome userMember since 2003
Found here:
"http://www.ejay.co.uk/artists/articles/dj2interview.asp"

DJ Mix Station 2 really brings a bunch of new possibilities in the world of mixing…

With DJ Mix Station 2 feat. Virtual DJ soon to hit the shelves, we caught up with the mastermind behind the DJ MixStation series, Stephane Clavel from Atomix Productions, to get the lowdown on this revolutionary software…

Q. Can you tell us about your background?

A. I designed my first DJ mixing software five years ago while I was still a student at the Ecole Polytechnique in France. I did some DJ-ing in my spare time, but didn't have enough time to practise and really hone my skills. Since I was also a computer geek, I used my computer skills, and spent many hours in the research department of the school working on an algorithm that would perfectly beatmatch any song on its own. The result was pretty successful, and I began to be see DJ-ing as being much more than just a hobby.

DJ Mix Station 2 goes even further. It is not only an affordable alternative to DJ gear, it offers even more features and functions than a traditional DJ hardware can!
At the same time, the word began to spread on the Internet that a software program existed that was capable of mixing in the beat on its own, and the demand grew very fast. A few months after this, Atomix Productions was born, and one year later we signed a deal with eJay to distribute DJ MixStation 1. Today, I'm a full time CEO, but I still spend several months every summer working in various clubs around the world.

Q. Can you tell us a little about the concept behind the DJ Mix Station 2 and what you're trying to achieve in the new & rising DJ software segment?

A. When we created DJ Mix Station 1, we really hoped we could help make the art of DJing accessible to the masses. When I was younger I desperately wanted to be a DJ like the guys I saw and admired in clubs, but didn't have the time or money to buy the full DJ equipment set-up and record collection. We know there are still many people who feel as frustrated as I did then, so we worked on providing them with an affordable yet powerful and easy to use solution.

The work of a modern DJ nowadays is not only to play one track after another, but also to create his or her own music by remixing the titles he plays in live. And that's what DJ Mix Station 2 will help you to achieve in a very easy way. With its infinite cue points, automatic one-click intelligent loops, beat aware effects and so on, DJ Mix Station 2 really brings a bunch of new possibilities in the world of mixing.

Q. What is the so-called FAME engine?

A. The FAME engine is the core of Atomix Productions' software. It stands for "Fast Automated Mixing Engine", and describes the real-time algorithm that will analyse the song and compute the BPM, rhythm structure, music genre, and so on. The most useful parts of the FAME are the instant BPM computation and the beat waveform display. But in DJ Mix Station 2, the FAME has been improved to also be able to tell the difference between a techno and a hiphop song, and behave accordingly.

Q. Your main competition is Traktor DJ & PCDJ - how would you compare your product alongside that 2 products? Why should buyers choose DJ Mix Station 2 instead of Traktor or PCDJ?

A. PCDJ is the oldest software on the DJ software market, and they existed before Atomix Productions released its first title. Fortunately for us, their software hasn't evolved very much since its inception, and still lacks the beatmatching feature. What's more, it doesn't offer any real edge over traditional hardware. That's why they only target professional users now. In fact, they have secured the US market quite well, but are not very present on European soil.

Traktor DJ is the newcomer on the market. Released two years ago, it brought us the competition we needed to buck up our ideas and surpass ourselves with this DJ Mix Station 2 title. With its recent association with Stanton, Traktor gives us some serious competition on the high-end professional market, and we have had to delay the release of the pro version of VirtualDJ until we close a deal that will make us very competitive on that market. But on the semi-pro and amateur market, Traktor is still seen as being too complex to use, and since it's much more expensive that DJ Mix Station 2, and has fewer features, I really don't think we will lose many customers to them.

Q. Have any artists released material commercially that's been created using Your software?

A. DJ Mix Station 2 is not a "music maker" like Dance 5 or Techno 4 are. It's more a tool to be used for live performances. So I don't know of anybody releasing a commercial title created with it. But I do know a bunch of famous places where famous DJs have been playing using DJ Mix Station, like the Ministry of Sound club in London and in Ibiza, or the Queen club in Paris.

Q. Is there anything else you'd like to add about eJay in general?

A. eJay has always been a pioneer of "easy to use" software, at least on the music software market, if not on the whole utility software market. Previous eJay software has been part of the inspiration that made us make DJ Mix Station as easy to use as it is now. And that's why we choose eJay to do the distribution of our software now. I really believe this product fits well in the eJay product range, because it's easy to use and accessible to everyone, but is still at the forefront of technological advancements.

Mensajes Tue 07 Oct 03 @ 11:12 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)