Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: VirtualDJ 8.1 Technical Support

Tema: DRM Support

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
Background: VirtualDJ 7.4 and all previous versions played DRM music files. Version 8.0 did not. For myself and many others, this fact is an absolute deal-breaker, rendering 8.0 totally unusable, necessitating that we remain with version 7.4. I noticed this flaw immediately on the day 8.0 came out in May of 2014, within a few seconds of trying it. I promptly posted to the forum, resulting in a great deal of outcry from others as well.

Regarding the VirtualDJ staff fixing this glaring and terrible deficiency: On May 29, 2014... here is a direct quote from a post to the 8.0 forum from the VirtualDJ Dev Staff: "I don't think we'll be able to squeeze this into a 8.0.xxx patch. But, we will try to get this done for 8.1." In other words, they would try to fix this to allow DRM files to play, whenever they finally issued version 8.1. So... we started waiting...

I, along with others, have been patiently waiting all this time. Now... Version 8.1 is, at long last, released!

Extremely simple question: Has this matter now been fixed? In other words, does Version 8.1 allow for playing of DRM files? Yes or no?

Thank you.

Mensajes Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 3:45 am
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
No it does not.

Mensajes Thu 26 Nov 15 @ 8:36 am
I have also been waiting for this since seeing that post, it must have been over a year ago. Was extremely pleased to see the 8.1 release hoping that my DRM content would play... now back to 7.4 for me. VDJ are there any plans to incorporate this?

Mensajes Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:04 am
Why can't Atomix give a simple yes or no.

Yes, we will support DRM and the timescale is ...... or no, it's never going to happen.

That would give users a definitive answer and let them know what to do going forward. Surely this can be brought up at one of your development meetings (if you have them) and put to bed?

Surely it's in Atomix interest to get users moved over to the latest software release instead of them using unsupported versions because a feature is not available on the latest one.

Mensajes Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 1:16 pm
There are no timescales at this time for adding support for DRM protected media.

Mensajes Tue 01 Dec 15 @ 8:21 pm
this is what they told me on decmeber 10 2015

Mensajes Fri 18 Dec 15 @ 7:07 pm
vdbocPRO (legacy)Member since 2013
Thank you for sharing this communication, kylemenard15. The answer they gave you now is clearly contradictory compared to what they said previously.

A year and a half ago, they said that this is something they will implement, but it may not come until version 8.1. No mention of legality. Now they say that they will not implement it for legal reasons.

So, we are left to conclude one of four possibilities:

1) It was legal a year and a half ago and they intended to implement it, but something happened in the meantime to make it illegal now.
2) It was illegal a year and half ago when they said they would implement it, but the person responding then was misinformed and ignorant of the fact that it was illegal.
3) It was legal a year and a half ago, and is still legal now, but the person responding now is misinformed and ignorant of the fact that it is legal.
4) Legal or not makes no difference... they simply do not want to implement it under any circumstance and are intentionally lying and using legality as an excuse.

Which of these four scenarios is true? That's anybody's guess. And ultimately, it doesn't matter.

In any event, it now seems evident that, no matter what they said previously, they will NEVER support DRM files ever again. Those days are gone. I guess we, the customers, must act accordingly.

Mensajes Sat 09 Jan 16 @ 7:52 am
vdboc wrote :
A year and a half ago, they said that this is something they will implement, but it may not come until version 8.1

Actually what was said at the time was that it wasn't a simple thing to add and that we would try and get it done for 8.1 which is slightly different to saying it might not be there until 8.1.

You are correct though, there is no legal issue with decoding DRM files through a supported mechanism for doing so.

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 1:31 am
I don't understand the legal issues. I have an active account with Rhapsody (about 10 years, now) and simply wish to play those tracks I have downloaded in a player which actually works 100% of the time. My Rhapsody rarely works beyond 20 minutes before search function being totally useless. Since I am paying for the playback rights, why can't I play them in VDJ 8.1?

I have 25,000 DRM Rhapsody tracks which play in 7.4.6 but won't load or play in 8.1.

I was an unlimited content buyer for years, but unlimited content stopped working when I added heavy-duty security to my PC or I would also pay atomix for content.

Mensajes Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 6:21 am
eriedjPRO InfinityMember since 2011
I also have been a longtime Rhapsody subscriber and can't play tracks in 8.1. I ended up subscribing to Content Unlimited so I could play those "strange" requests I don't have in my active music library. Hopefully, someday, DRM support will return in VDJ 8.1.

Mensajes Wed 03 Feb 16 @ 11:42 pm
The ugly truth is that DRM is supported in VDJ 8, they just do not want to offer third party DRM support. The answer is simple, they wouldn't be able to sell their "Content Unlimited" subscriptions if they had 3rd party DRM support, or they might actually have to put decent material in CU. CU's music files are DRM'd so the support is definitely there for it.

Mensajes Mon 09 Jan 17 @ 1:48 pm
No, actually the truth is that VDJ 8 uses its own internal codecs now (for everything, not just protected formats), not external/Windows ones.

So supporting this, that and the other format has to be hard coded into the software, not simply read from the OS.

Mensajes Mon 09 Jan 17 @ 6:17 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)