Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: ZeroDB

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

TVD UKPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I,m not sure if this is possible but could the setting zeroDB be set per folder.
I find -3db is fine for all modern tunes, but when you go back to the 70s or 80s -6db is needed.
So if you could set it per folder it would allow me to set these differently

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 11:52 am
IMO the better request is a way to script zerodb changes to a custom button so you could just hit that to change it when needed.

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 12:08 pm
i assume doing it that way though you have to remember to select it before loading, my way it would be pre set per folder as it tends to be all the older stuff not just a few tracks

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 12:12 pm
i understand what you are saying and yes in your case i agree but some folks put all their files in one folder and use filter folders to sort them out in that case it wouldn't help just thinking about the bigger picture :-)

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 1:37 pm
IMO if you've decided on -6dB for older tracks then just leave the setting there. Newer tracks will be louder (or sound louder) anyway, so they shouldn't need a different setting.

The advantage of having more headroom is that if tracks do sound too quiet, you have enough overhead to be able to increase the gain/volume.

I play a mix of old and new tracks, and don't find myself wanting or needing to change the settings for either...

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 3:23 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
Indeed, best to use the lowest setting for all folders, so that still playing a song from one folder after a song from another folder will have the same loudness.
Otherwise you'd still be adjusting the gain every song, which defeats the use of autogain.

Mensajes Sun 10 Jan 16 @ 8:18 pm
Adion wrote :
Indeed, best to use the lowest setting for all folders, so that still playing a song from one folder after a song from another folder will have the same loudness.

Will it? Won't it just be -6db of what it was before so older tracks lower but not as low as modern that would be on par at -3db

I,ll give it a few gigs at -6db see how i get on

Mensajes Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 12:14 pm
I think your just putting waaaay to much thought in this..... Load the track and let your ears do the work, watch VU meters etc etc.......

Mensajes Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 3:22 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
That's exactly what autogain is supposed to do, make different tracks have the same loudness.

Mensajes Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 9:53 pm

Mensajes Mon 11 Jan 16 @ 10:11 pm
groovindj wrote :
The only way to get old tracks to sound as "loud" as new ones is to process them using the type of plugins which are now commonly used to master music.

That's one way of doing things... Old tracks sound as loud as the new ones
There's another way as well: Make all tracks sound the same
Which effectively means lower down the perceived volume (RMS) of the new tracks to match the old ones...
Yes you loose "power" but you don't alter dynamics, thus loose dynamic range and you don't do any change that's irreversible :)
Also the bigger the dynamic range is, the less hearing fatigue you get through time. Something that a lot of people seem to completely ignore...

Mensajes Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 10:40 am
PhantomDeejay wrote :
but you don't alter dynamics

This is true....... but if you think about it, you can't "uncompress" the new tracks to make them have the same dynamics as the old tracks - so you end up with a mix of dynamic tracks (the old ones) and "squashed" tracks (new ones). Even if you lower the volume of the new tracks vs old ones, they're still not really "the same".

On the other hand, if you do it as I suggested then at least you have some consistency. The tracks all sound "new" and have the same (albeit limited) dynamics.

The squashed sound is what people are used to now.

BTW I'm not necessarily suggesting a permanent change to his tracks. He could use a plugin as required.

Mensajes Tue 12 Jan 16 @ 5:54 pm
groovindj wrote :
The squashed sound is what people are used to now.

Not really... I guess it depends on the music genre but most people usually find quite "better" the sound on old tracks compared to modern overcompressed productions. So they are not used to it. They just have to tolerate it

Mensajes Wed 13 Jan 16 @ 8:34 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)