Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Projector Tips For Beginners. - Page: 2

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

VDJ RonPRO InfinityMember since 2010
@AMAHM

Posting photos is a little tricky.
Every photograph needs optimizing for the web.
There's a file size limit.
I suspect it's around 2 to 3 MB.

I'm looking forward to seeing your photographs.
Your not a mobile like me are you, your more of a club DJ?

The MC6000 Mk1 is a terrific controller.
It's a shame that they don't make them anymore.
Anyway it's good that you can get them secondhand.

Mensajes Tue 03 May 16 @ 4:17 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :

Yes, you have to start somewhere. However, if you can't do it right, don't do it at all.

The world is not black or white.
You started off with low budget stuff yourself , and that's the normal way to do it. You gotta start somewhere with a limited budget. The gear and strategies constantly improves as experience gains.
How professional you are , is not a result from choice of equipment and brands.
How many lumens your projector has, nor if the controller is a Pioneer or Behringer.
Most of the crowd won't know anyway, the same goes for the software you're using (we've been there before).

To appear professional is so much more, being polite, taking the job seriously, arrive in time, and all that.
It's possible to do things right with a tight budget.

Mensajes Tue 03 May 16 @ 4:54 pm
Rear projection provides a couple key benefits over front projection. First, the viewers are looking directly at the projected image, not a reflection of it. This image can be nearly twice the brightness as a front projection screen using the same projector.
See link.
http://www.allchurchsound.com/blog/2011/090211.shtml
Hm I not thinking.
I have enough space to set up a rear projection system in a big venue!
My $55 projector has quite a good throw ratio (defining the distance of the projector from the screen, and the size of the resulting image).

What do I use for a cheap rear projection screen?
Spandex?

Mensajes Wed 04 May 16 @ 11:59 pm
Rear projection brings on its own problems.

Using spandex isn't great if you can't place the screen above the crowd. If its to low you'll have a massive bright spot which looks terrible.

They do make a special fabric for rear projection and it can be quite spendy.

Watch this video I made when I first got into using them, actually I got a free projector and haven't looked back

You should see a hugh blinding brite spot in the video. I didn't use spandex but the same thing will happen with spandex. Its around the 2:50 minute mark.

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 1:14 am
Thanks Beatbreaker!
If you wish I'll use your other name?
I like the name Beatbreaker.

I'm thinking of spandex, or maybe an experiment with a pvc white shower curtain.
Some rate the plain white shower curtains very highly.
A few people on ebay sell £5 shower curtains as rear projection screens for £20!
One guy has received excellent feedback doing this, besides making a fine profit.
He's worth his £20 just for knowing what shower curtain keeps people happy!

The projector will be below the level of the screen, about 8", and on a stage which means I'll need a projector screen skirt of some sort.
Hence it should be impossible for the audience to see the hotspot.

Note: our bathroom is in danger of VDJ attack.

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 1:40 pm
Nah the name doesn't matter but I've never heard of the shower curtain trick.

I've since bought some pull downs and spent the money on the right fabric but I could use the shower curtain for our movies in the backyard events we have at our house during the summer.

We invite friends and family over and we grill out then wait till it gets dark and watch a movie.

I use the cheap style goal post style out of PVC (12'x24') and some cheaper cloth. The shower curtain seems like it would be more durable in the long run.

If you do go that route you'll have to post your findings and let us know the Pros/Cons

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 4:07 pm
http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/8283757.htm#pdpFullDesc
£2.50=@$1.75

I'm testing this shower curtain at the moment, it looks good, but there are still crease lines where it was folded, and packed.

I have not put it on my main frame, and stretched it gently as yet.
It may be a winner!

I've had great fun testing a variety of household materials.

Update:
It's working fine.
I now need to test it in a suitable environment.
The elastic properties of the curtain offer great hope that the creases will disappear.

I also have a good quality, quite expensive, 100" screen, complete with it's own stand which is the more traditional approach.

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 4:54 pm
One of the reasons I bought the Epson X6 @ 2200 lumin was that I'd seen a post which might, or might not be correct stating that for typical video applications +2000 lumin was fine for rear projection, whilst front projection needed +3000 lumin.

It's amazing that the light after traveling through the curtain appears to be brighter than on the side it falls.

Comments?

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 6:08 pm
No sign of the dreaded hotspot?
Odd.
I need others to check this out, it may be almost perfect rear projection material.
£2.50 from Argos is less than the price of a pint.
It may be bringing out the colours, it definitly feels right.
I've got it rolled around a curtain pole, this weighs the bottom, stretching the screen/curtain.

Mensajes Thu 05 May 16 @ 8:50 pm
Update:

No hotspot problem?

I would not recommend this Argos shower curtain for mobile use.
It already has a couple of small tears.
Stretching it to remove the creases is tricky due to its thinness.
However for static applications, and stapled to a wooden frame in such a way as to remove the creases, it may be good.

I'm looking for something stronger, and more elastic.
Maybe spandex.

Mensajes Tue 10 May 16 @ 1:48 pm

Mensajes Tue 10 May 16 @ 5:39 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Well, you could go to your local textile outlet and purchase the spandex yourself for half the cost, remember spandex does not need a hem as other material (it does not fray) but like in the link I have already given you you could use those spring clamps market traders use, personally I would just make a couple of hems top and bottom and slide a couple of extendable poles through, you can get them at Wilkinsons for three quid.

I did a tutorial on the forums years ago concerning frames for screens, if I can find it I'll post the link.

Stay away from the drainage pipe as a frame, it's a bloody nightmare that I once experimented with, it's way to flexible and a fart on setting up.

Mensajes Tue 10 May 16 @ 7:23 pm
Not sure what the standards are on the other side, but all material used in commercial settings, have to be fire retardant, with a certificate. Spandex by itself, is not. All of my screens, and drapes for my photo booth are fire retardant and I carry the certificates with me to prove it. I've only been asked 3 times to show proof, but I had it.

Mensajes Wed 11 May 16 @ 7:42 pm
taylaPRO InfinityMember since 2007
It's usually taken as a given over here Rick, but just to reiterate your point though, anyone that doesn't look at safety first no matter where they live, should not be in this line of work.

Mensajes Wed 11 May 16 @ 7:56 pm
We have a lot of venues in volunteer fire houses (that's one way they stay in business). I'm not talking about little dinky halls, These are full blown catering facilities. Don't even think about putting up screens without certificates. To be honest, I don't know what my screens are made of. I just assumed they were Lycra, (DuPont's brand name). Now I will have to go home and look. Do these plain spandex screens provide good pictures?

Mensajes Wed 11 May 16 @ 8:24 pm
Interesting.

Tonight I went into an empty cinema sized venue with my Argos shower curtain.
The rear projected image was brighter, and better than using a traditional front projected screen/image.
I'd done that the week before.

Earlier I tried to iron the creases out of my shower curtain.
This resulted in an hole.
It's non iron!

I'd be surprised if a major distributor like Argos was selling a shower curtain which was a fire hazard.
However this is an important question.
I think as Tayla said "it's taken".
Our safety people would jump all over anyone selling such items if they posed a fire risk.

I've dismissed waste pipe for constructing a rectangular frame, however for a 6' cross member supporting a screen, and uniting two stands it's fine.

Given tonight's rear projection image success I'm now thinking in terms of a better quality shower curtain.

I'm still awaiting AMAHM's photographs of his setup which I hope will educate the Western world.
Has he resolved his problems with image optimization?
Can he post a photograph?

Mensajes Wed 11 May 16 @ 8:52 pm

Mensajes Thu 12 May 16 @ 11:44 am
In an attempt to find a stronger shower curtain I tried a reasonable quality polyester IKEA shower curtain, and I was surprised to find the "Beatbreaker hotspot" in the middle of the screen.
The cheap Argos one has no hotspot!
The shower curtain material is critical.

Mensajes Thu 12 May 16 @ 5:14 pm
...tried to iron a shower curtain. ROFL!

Mensajes Thu 12 May 16 @ 5:47 pm
51%