Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: how to make sure loops start at the right time?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

im just getting into creating loops at the moment, particularly drum loops, and im a little unsure about how to get them to start on-beat.

even though i set the grid in a way that looks like the "down beat" is in the right place, the loop seems to start on the "off beat"

its set to sync lock

any ideas?

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 3:15 pm
its the same result when set to sync lock or sync start, the loop is also drifting off beat after a short while aswell
it seems to try to match the beat, for example, if i play a song way faster, the loop will play at that faster tempo but still just drifts off beat after a few seconds as though there were a BPM mismatch of about -5bpm or so.
the loops are the correct length i think, they certainly sound ok, with no gaps

the built in default "instrument loops" seem to sync fine with my music

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 4:43 pm
just one final note, this is reggaeton music. not techno. not sure if that makes a difference here but perhaps VDJ is not handling reggaeton as well as it handles techno.
i also noticed that if i trigger one of the built in instrument loops along with a reggaeton track, it also lands on the off beat even though the "extra grid lines" in the track in question, fall on the down beat.

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 5:03 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
Chill out, 2 hours is no time waiting for a reply, what you want help with isn't a "I'm live SOS " scenario.

I've found the first call of a sample can lag a part of a second. If I play with samples, I route it thru a deck, then drop the deck level, double tap the samples I want to use, that gets them into memory, then bring the level up and play live.

My method might be my compensation for a decrepit machine.

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 5:10 pm
locoDogPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2013
It sounds like your bpm for your samples are off.

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 5:12 pm
locodog wrote :
Chill out, 2 hours is no time waiting for a reply, what you want help with isn't a "I'm live SOS " scenario.

I've found the first call of a sample can lag a part of a second. If I play with samples, I route it thru a deck, then drop the deck level, double tap the samples I want to use, that gets them into memory, then bring the level up and play live.

My method might be my compensation for a decrepit machine.

im chilled, man, im just continuing to report my findings as i try to trouble shoot it.

thing is, regardless of when i trigger the loop, it forces itself onto the off beat.

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 5:13 pm
locodog wrote :
It sounds like your bpm for your samples are off.

the bpm of the song i took the loop from is 97 bpm

the loop is 97 bpm

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 5:17 pm
ok i seem to have found out how to make them work ( i think)

and it involves moving around the red handles in the sampler until it sounds right.
i believed that the red handles should be on-beat. but it seems as though i have to move them somewhere in the middle between the beats to get the loop to line up.
i have no idea why this is, i cant get my head around this and id appreciate if someone would like to educate me on why exactly that works.
below are two images, the first one is a loop that just wont line up , ever, when im mixing, but to me, looks perfect in the sample editor.

the second image, is a loop that lines up perfectly well, when in mixing, as seen in the image, the red handles are kind of in no-mans-land.

Mensajes Fri 09 Mar 18 @ 9:39 pm
really looks and sounds like the song you are trying to sync that loop to has a bad grid.

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 1:09 am
....but he said that the default loops sync fine.

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 9:25 am
Personally i prefer to use 'Pitched' and rely on my timing, not Sync Lock. This way you can have more control and it will still set the sample to the right BPM.

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 12:07 pm

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 12:09 pm
AdionPRO InfinityCTOMember since 2006
It looks like there is a bug in the sample editor in case the sample has the start cut off (as can be seen by the blue triangle not being at the beginning of the sample)
In this case the beat indicator (red triangle) will be displayed incorrectly as being a little too far to the right. (depending on the amount cut off at the start)

If the beat grid of the original file was correct, and the loop is then recorded from that file, the actual file should be correct (and loop correctly), but the sample editor might display the beat grid incorrectly as can be seen on your screenshots.

This will be fixed in the next update.

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 12:23 pm
Adion wrote :
It looks like there is a bug in the sample editor in case the sample has the start cut off (as can be seen by the blue triangle not being at the beginning of the sample)
In this case the beat indicator (red triangle) will be displayed incorrectly as being a little too far to the right. (depending on the amount cut off at the start)

If the beat grid of the original file was correct, and the loop is then recorded from that file, the actual file should be correct (and loop correctly), but the sample editor might display the beat grid incorrectly as can be seen on your screenshots.

This will be fixed in the next update.

great, im glad im not going crazy :)

just to add a little mor info to this, the loops that i recorded dont have any gap initially. the gap appears when it has been recorded. as seen below, this is how the loops look before i hit "rec"

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 5:41 pm
Matty1000, please refrain from posting more than 2 consecutive post, as per our forum guidelines, thank you.

Mensajes Sat 10 Mar 18 @ 8:05 pm
A Man and His Music wrote :
Matty1000, please refrain from posting more than 2 consecutive post, as per our forum guidelines, thank you.

ok no problem, my apologies
i didnt realise that was a rule

actually i dont see a guideline mentioning that at all. can you show me please? thanks

Mensajes Sun 11 Mar 18 @ 2:57 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)