Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Question for Hercules DJ package owners

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

robmanPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Hi

Wonder if anyone who has the Hercules DJ can answer this for me?

In VirtualDJ, where does the sound come out for each deck? From what I can tell there are these outputs:

SPDIF out
Headphone out
Stereo out
5.1 channel out (Front pair, Rear pair, Sub and Centre)

So what comes out of each when playing sound on both decks?

Cheers

r

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 3:53 pm
w03paHome userMember since 2003
i just put my pc speakers into the front 1-2 port on the back of the console, the rest is for when you use the console as a soundcard and want to use dolby for watching a dvd or something

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 3:57 pm
in addition, you cant configure the sound settings in the virtualdj that comes with the console. so i think u can't hook up an extra mixer.

Im not sure becouse my dj console is broke, but only the corssfader and play buttons.

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 4:01 pm
What I am hoping is that you can output each deck independently onto, say, the front pair and the rear pair, so I could route that into my external mixer, as well as outputting the mix through, say, the stereo output. Also keen to potentially route individual decks into my main soundcard's inputs (either analogue or digital) to use Cubase VST effects on them.

As an aside, what kind of microphones can be used on the mic input? Can you use semi-pro mics for recording vocals, as opposed to buying a mic pre-amp? Not for professional use, just a lot better than the built-in mic input on my SB Audigy!

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 4:04 pm
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
In the VDJ that comes with the console, there are no sound settings to allow deck A to output to 1-2 and deck B to ouput to another set of outputs. Perhapse with the full version you can do this? Anyone?

Something cool I found (but maybe not usable to most of us) is that instead of using the RCA outputs (1-2) for VDJ, you can use the optical out if you have a reciever/mixer that accepts it, and that eliminates the "Quiet output" of the Console that people complain about. Sounds nice.

I don't have a mic, so I'm not sure about the other question.

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 03 @ 6:32 pm
robman i think your looking for a diffrent kind of hardware, the hecrules console is merely a toy

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 1:27 am
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yes, with the full version you have several different sound configuration options.

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 1:38 am
OjLenoHome userMember since 2003
If I could get one that works right, it would be a very useful "toy". Its nice to be able to have big play and cue buttons so that your not looking for the right key on the keyboard at the last moment. Also, it cuts out the lows/mids/and highs out completely (which says a lot considering my real mixer that costs the same amount not only decreases the overall sound quality of anything going through it, but can't cut anything out completely and has this low, constant cross-channel noise that you can't get rid of.

This combined with good software, in my opinion, will perform as well as your $1,000-3,000 setup. Seeing as how computers are as powerful as they are now, why leave it up to lots of separate, sometimes costly hardware components? You could get a kickass laptop for $1,500 (US), and the Console with VDJ for $250 more. You don't have to lug around cases of records, CD's, or mini disks like some of my friends (don't forget you have to catalog all these as well). You can now have thousands upon thousands of hits with you at all times, all on a system quick enough to where anyone could request a song, and within 7 seconds have it loaded, analyzed, gain-matched, and ready for you to figure out how you would like to mix the request in to the active song.

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 2:20 am
Too bad the construction isn't that tough, i got mine broke in the mail and i know a lot of other people who had the same..
and if i get my broke replaced for a good one, i know the jog wheels will die within a year.

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 2:33 pm
Will New options for the sound card configuration be available soon as my VDJ 1.07 does not output correctly to the DJ console. No matter what setting I try it seems to put the main and preview (headphone) through the same channels!

Am I doing this wrong or could this a problem?

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 4:48 pm
sketchPRO InfinityMember since 2003
With the full (purchased) version, you can use the dj console either standalone or with a mixer.

Basically the main point is that the sound card part is completly seperate to the controller. With the full version you can set the sound card part up in virtual dj, either split on 1-2/3-4 for a mixer or with master/preview for use with the standalone console.

The controller part work completly seperated, ie when you move the crossfader it controls vdj not actually mixs the two channels.

I agree it is a bit plasticy but so far its ok. The response (latency) is very imediate with my P4 2.8Ghz. I only bought the dj console to play with while I wait for the XP10's, and going on this I'm looking really bforward to them.

Dan

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 03 @ 5:00 pm
Anyone hooked their Herules DJ up via Midi yet? Which of the controllers output midi?

I understand that there is a key mapper for the digital controls which doesn't map the knobs, sliders and jog wheels but I'm hoping that they do outpt midi to give more flexibility for current and future apps, rather than people like Atomix having to keep multiple versions of their software on the go that directly hook into the hardware's drivers.

BTW I've actually ordered one now. I knew I would talk myself into it!

Mensajes Fri 05 Dec 03 @ 4:28 pm
No, no MIDI support yet. Hercules said theat a drive will be available earlier next year but who knows...

Mensajes Mon 08 Dec 03 @ 3:20 am
No midi at all? What are the midi ports on there for? Just for future use?

Yikes. I can see me potentially cancelling my order. No disrespect to VDJ but I need this thing to do more than just control a couple of specific packages and act as a sound card.

Mensajes Mon 08 Dec 03 @ 2:06 pm
The MIDI ports are for other external MIDI devices interfacing teh PC. The controller itself does not transmit any MIDI information. Personally I am so dissatisfied with the controller that I am sending it back.

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 03 @ 7:21 pm
Mine just arrived today.

To say I am disappointed is an understatement. They claim it works seamlessly with your existing card, but I've managed to crash my normally stable PC 5 times so far. The worst is that it just doesn't do what I thought it would - I was really hoping to be able to control other applications via midi with it. The bundled software seems severely limited.

Really really unhappy.

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 03 @ 11:53 pm
Even though i was very unhappy with its limitations i had decided to give it a chance and keep it. At the price its selling, its still not a bad deal. What finally made me decide to return it, was the fact that its defective_, and by looking through the forum i noticed im not the only one who has these problems. The scratch pads get stuck or randomly send false data. Thats not a functionality issue, thats a manufacturing fault that can't be fixed by the next driver update (unlike the crashing or midi issues).
This looks to me very much to be a lets-rush-this-outta-the-door-in-time-for-christmas-shopping type of thing which is unexcuseable. Seemingly QA had to take a backseat.
Sorry Hercules, you bombed this one.

Mensajes Wed 10 Dec 03 @ 1:59 am
I've noticed a few things that seem to be manufacturing issues too. When testing out the keymapper, some buttons suddenly spew out dozens of keypresses instead of one (almost like they were held in a buffer or something). Also I've noticed it installs a game controller, which gives a degree of access to some of the analogue controls (e.g the filter pots get mapped to joystick axis) but I can clearly see some of the pots jittering in the game controller control panel. I think for the money, the manufacturing quality on mine is not that great.

Also I was gutted to see that Cubase only lets you have one ASIO driver active, so that rules out what I was originally planning, although this is, of course, not Hercules' fault.

The only redemption at the moment is that the bundled VDJ is great fun to use, but if I was a pro DJ I doubt I could put up with the pops and quirks that show up from time to time. I suspect the Hercules device is to blame there.

Mensajes Wed 10 Dec 03 @ 10:51 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)