Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Check it out... Bad quality... - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Recently i noticed that if the time stretch option is enabled in atomix and the bpm is over/under the default, u seem to get like a double thud on bass beats. Its hardly hearable really but u can still tell. Then i disabled time stretch, and that problem goes away but noticed that you get a high or low hissing sound if u move the bpm up or down!! I know this has been mentioned b4 but heres the most worst part of all...

I cant play the track PPK - Ressurection unless i have the default speed.

If i play this track at a faster speed, the part where track actually quietens down at the start for the main tune sounds so bad i was embarressed when it played the other day in front of my mates!! i put it down to distortion at first... But obviously not!!

Go ahead, try it yourself!! Oh and b4 u say the mp3 is encoded at a low bitrate.. it was encoded 192kbps. Also its not my soundcard, i have a soundblaster 128 and everything else sounds fine.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 7:45 pm
HomeboyPRO InfinitySupport ManagerMember since 2003
Never had any trouble with any songs when using time stretch. 1. be sure to not max out the time stretch to achieve the required bpm. 2. Make sure your gain (level) is not exceeding 1.0+db's 3. Set up your eq to take out some mids and some bass. One or 2 clicks (using the shortcuts). This way you should achieve optimum sound performance from AtomixMp3.

Mensajes Wed 30 Apr 03 @ 7:49 pm
You're damned if you do and damned if you don't. Time stretch enabled skips beats and 'gargles' up the music. When it's disabled (which I prefer) ... gives that annoying 'hiss' in which I am praying is going to be fixed in the next release.

Ironically ... I made a post here about sound quality comparisons using the same EXACT song (ressurection) ... you can totally notice the hiss in the middle of the track ... definately not suitable for professional use. Even though all their features suck compare to atomix ... BPM studo, traktor and PCDJ all have outstanding quality.

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 2:22 am
Well at least somebody agree's with me. Its very true that u cannot win either with time stretch enabled or with it disabled. I prefer to have it disabled because double beat that occurs every now and again is very anoying. Its not so bad on most trakcs with time strech disabled, its just tracks that have quieter parts in them were u start to hear the hissing and gargold sound.

I really think they should look at this in future releases as i have never really realised how bad it actually is till now.

Dont get me wrong, i love atomix to death (even with the demo version) because of its simplicity and ease of use. If they could just change them couple of things this program would soooo Rock!! Plz plz in the next version, or even better with virtual dj!!

I hope VDJ lives up to its expectations!!

Cheers...

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 8:32 pm
Listen it doesn't matter what tests have been done. Do as DJ Rick and I both do. Buy a good mixer and some descent sound equipment, adjust the eq's appropriately and you will have no troubles. I have been using ATOMIXMP3 in a bar for over 2 years now, I have done wedding and stags. No complaints ever on the sound. Do not blame Atomix for the lack of experience you may have in setting your eq's or mixng the tracks. I have personally listened to others that are using Atomix and if you don't know how to set it up with a PA system you guys are right it doesn't sound all that good. But if you have an ear for music ( not a software that detects music) than you will have no troubles... Anyone who wishes to have my help in setting up Atomix in a bar just let me know. Oh ya and respond all you want, I am proof that its not as bad as you think it may be.

(upset teamer)

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 8:49 pm
Okay homeboy i can hear what ure sayin, but the point being is that u should not have to fork out for expensive equipment when u have atomix. If i was gonna buy a good mixer and all the rest of the equipment then i mite as well go buy a coupla decks while im at it. I can see that i would be easier to use atomix rather than decks, but at least with decks u know u are gonna get good quality with all tracks. Im not dissin atomix, im just pointin out that there really is work to be done.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 8:57 pm
Also, i CAN mix tracks properly and also its not that i cant set the equalizers rite or anything else to with the eq and its not down to distortion as all mp3's that i play through atomix are checked b4 hand. Like trip says, its Definitely the software and it needs fixing.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 9:05 pm
DJ RickPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Again... I use time stretch enabled... I work in public venues 3-5 times EVERY WEEK for 2 years now with Atomixmp3. Never had a sound quality issue!! 2.0 had a nice sound quality increase... but even 1.12 sounded FINE! Remember guys, there are thousands and thousands of registered users... not to mention all the demo users... many of us use Atomixmp3 professionally. About once a month someone will say something about a sound issue... then the same 3-4 guys will jump on board with their opinions... The sound output of Atomixmp3 is pretty freaking good!! In all the time I have used it, even with 128 bit files... no one has ever suggested that there were any sound issues. In fact, most are quite impressed with how good it sounds.

Mensajes Thu 01 May 03 @ 11:36 pm
I'm agree with you Rick, I use atomix in club since seven month and the output sound are pretty good !!!

Norm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 12:09 am
Hi,

In reply to dj rick, i can see a possibility that u mite be able to cut out the hissing using an external mixer and other equipment, but surely u can hear the double thud every now and again when u raise or lower the bpm? i dont think any equipment would be able to get rid of that??

Maybe u just dont hear it?? im not dissin anybody, im just lookin at possible explanations... But if it really dont happen on ure system then i am shocked... U must be just one of the lucky guys who's has the perfect system to run atomix. Thats if it is the system that cause's this problem... If not the system... then what could it be?? Unless u have some sort of special version of atomix that i dont know about?? I want one!!

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 12:59 am
I only have the sound-quality-problem with certain songs. If I increase or decrease the pitch to a certain point (not the same for every song) I get a weird sound/tone which frequency changes as I change the pitch even more.
This is a fact. But I'm not so sure that it is Atomixmp3's fault. As I have not tried the songs on every DJ software out there, I can't rule out that it isn't.

With stretch enabled... it is even worse. The beats jump and the tracks sound terrible when changing the pitch too much.
I have tried this with different music styles... and it is my belief that people mixing high BPM songs have more problems with the time-strech-feature that people mixing low BPM songs. Changing pitch with time-stretch enabled, on let say a hiphop-, country-, pop-, rock-, heavy-song, does not seem to give the same problems as when mixing a trance-, house-, techno-song.

There is a problem... but since it is still here after numerous posts about it... it is clear that there is no solution to at this time.

- Jim

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 1:16 am
So my question is...to Homeboy, Rick, and coyote who have never had this issue:

What music do you mix? low or high BPM-songs? (and I'm not talking about throwing in a high bpm-songs once in a while. but on an average.)

In my case.... I listen to new high-bpm songs every day. So this problem is more accuring than to lets say someone who might be playing the same 5 trance/dance songs per night for 3 weeks. Or maybe not?

- Jim

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 1:51 am
Hi,

Just to say that i 2 do play lotsa trance and high bpm music... that may be why i have noticed it and perhaps like u say, the others dont play such high bpm tracks like we do.

I think they do have the same problems as us but just have not noticed it because they are playin to live audiences with noise around and other distractions going on around i dunno... Maybe u cant hear it as much on very loud systems??

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 2:56 am
I personally play a large variety of music, mostly hip-hop but alot of tech/trance also. I am sure that each set up (pc) will vary in performance. But as a person that has used it for over 2 years at clubs, personal parties and weddings I have never had a complaint.........

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 9:13 am
GrimmPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Remember people; Time Stretch is not an exact science. What works for one style of music may not give favorable results for another. As some of you have already noticed, the Time Stretch algorithm works best in a certain bpm range, but not in others. The programmers had to compromise abit and try to target the bpm range that they believe the users would be mixing with.

And DJ Rick, I've pointed out plenty of times and even shown the flaws in the audio output from Atomix. If you want (and if I still have them) I can put the comparison pics up on a site again.

Grimm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 12:56 pm
I too mix all types of music.. a lot of hip-hop, as well as techno and trance. And again, I use time stretch enabled. As I said before there are many thousand registered users, not to mention all of the demo users... every now and then someone will post a question or comment about the audio output, and invariably it's the same few guys that jump on-board. Grimm I don't want to take away from your study project, but I don't give a crap what your pictures show. I know what I hear.. and more important, since someone said perhaps I don't hear it, I see the hundreds of people in the room enjoying the sound, 3-5 times every week. I didn't look at your pics last time, you can re-post them if you want, I probably won't look at them again. They have absolutely no effect on my continued useage of Atomixmp3.

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 3:53 pm
Okay, heres the deal - Why dont all the users who have not supposedly experianced the sound quality issue in atomix, just sit down with atomix, no external mixers connected, no other equipment connected, and put on the Track PPK - Resurection. Put time stretch OFF and Crank up the bpm a little to about 143-145 and turn up the speakers, or even better put ure headphones on. Then just simply listen to it when it gets to the quiet part of the track, move the bpm slider up and down. U will see what we are all talking about. If not then either a) u just cant hear it or b) U are using a different version of atomix from the rest of us.

Pretty Simple really.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 5:13 pm
OK, first of all, very cool track!! I hadn't heard it before today. 2nd... you are suggesting a 7-8% pitch shift. Why would that even matter in the middle of a song? When mixing, I'll make my pitch adjustment to make the mix... once the mix is completed, I work the pitch back to the center. If you are playing the entire track with a 7-8% pitch bump, I think that would irritate people even if you were using CD's, and the pitch adjustment were perfect. 3rd, I would never bump a track that far without using thim stretch enabled. The "chipmunk" effect is about all I can hear. So, quite frankly under the conditions you are putting forth, WHO CARES if there are sound issues... As a DJ I would never subject my listeners to those conditions.
Oh yeah, I did try it under those conditions here on my desktop. No mixer, only 1 soundcard out to my surround speakers. The speeded track sounded like crap... I don't think I experienced the annomily you are discussing in this thread, but any track played with time stretch disabled, bumped up 8% is going to sound like shit anyway. For normal DJing, you would just never do that with any song. If you speed up a track to make a mix.... generally you get it back to 0% within the first minute or so of the song. Also before speeding up a track by a full 8%, usually I would try to find a different song about halfway in between the track that's playing, and my target track. That way I'm only adjusting 4% or so, but doing it twice.
So, my thoughts on this little test are that the actual complaint in this thread would never be noticed by a DJ simply because he/she would never be playing a song under those conditions... This explains why I have not experienced this problem ever, and why I probably never will again.

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 5:50 pm
Okay, fair comment dj rick. Just 1 thing to say tho - The default speed for the track PPK - Resurection is 140 bpm. I have got atomix open rite now and even if i raise the bpm 000.5% which would make 100.5% total and get to the quiet part near the start and turn up the speakers... U can hear the hissing and crackly noise.. and thats just 000.5% of bpm increase!!! I must admit that in other tracks u can hardly hear it... Just this track seems to be the worst for atomix.

Dj Dark Storm

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 6:04 pm
hhmmm... the default... 0.00% changed BPM of this track is 135.

Mensajes Fri 02 May 03 @ 6:15 pm
77%