Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Hardware-Software setup with Laptop

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi all,

In the mid to late 80's I used to DJ at clubs and mobile. I still have a 19" mixer and 2 Technics 1200MKII turntables. I would like to start DJing again but I would like to use MP3s instead of vinyl.

I am VERY computer literate but since I haven't actually seen any of the the MP3 equipment in person it is a little hard for me to figure out how all this works.

Here is what I would like to do.

I would like to be able to mix using my MP3 collection using real buttons and faders to control software like Virtual DJ.

I have a 17" Widescreen laptop that I hook up a 300GB external USB2/1394 Hard Drive that contains the MP3s. I know I can plug in the headphone output from the laptop into a line mixer input and mix that way but then I have no way to cue or hear the next source and I have to use the mouse to move the fader.

I saw some devices that are now on the market that may do what I want such as the Hercules but I don't want a mixer with the control unit. I have looked at other ones such as the DAC3 and would be willing to get it if it does what I want.

I know many of these units hook up to a PC via USB which isn't a problem. I am assuming that these are like USB soundcards with external controls for the software. Is this right?

I also see that Numark has a new mixer with two USB inputs CM200USB. I don't think this would actually control the software but am I right in assuming that the mixer just has 2 USB sound cards built in that interfaces to analog audio? If this is the case how does software like Virtual DJ work?

So what I want to have is a physical controller with Play/Cue/Pitch to control the individual MP3s in the decks in Virtual DJ and then have the outputs go to two seperate line-in inputs so I can physically mix between the two sources with the fader and add mics etc...

Is this all possible or am I asking for too much?

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 12:49 am
This is a typical setup of what us digital DJs do. Really pretty simple once you get your mind moving in the right direction. You can continue using all the stuff you already have to DJ with. That is, the turntables, mixer and laptop. What you need is a soundcard for your laptop. Preferrably one that has 4 inputs and 4 outputs. The Maya44USB seems to be a good choice, not because it's a great card, but a lot of people use it and it seems to work pretty good. I have two myself, 1 for backup.

Once you get the soundcard then you plug it into your laptop via usb. The outputs of the soundcard connect into your mixer that you have already. If you want to use timecoded vinyl to control virtual dj, then you connect the phono output of your turntable to the audio inputs on your Maya soundcard. You'll need to order some time coded vinyl though if you want that to work.

Once you have the Maya soundcard connected then you configure virtual dj to use the card and you then can cue songs in the headphones on your mixer just like you're used to.

Sound pretty simple? It is. We do it all day long around here.

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 1:33 am
acw_djPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2005
What you want is already a fact for some of us. The first thing to be success is buy VDJ. With this you could do any configuration and use all features of VDJ if you want. The Demo is limited, it's a demo...

You could see the setup Anewsome has, is close (or exactly) what you want. If I read correctly, you need: VDJ + Maya 44 USB (or Equivalent) + TCVs + XP10 or DAC-2 (or other controller). You already must have a Powerful PC or Laptop (P4 or AMD64, 1GB RAM, 128MB in Video or more ATI or N-Vidia Chipset is better), Direct Drive Turntables, Mixer, Powered Speakers or Amp + Speakers to get your setup complete.

I recommend you to go this way: 1.- Buy VDJ 2.- Buy a USB Sound Card (or a notebook Sound Card) 3.- Get TCVs 4.- Buy a controller for VDJ (DAC-2 or 3,or XP10 or DJConsole or BCD-2000)

I feel is the way to go.

Good Luck!

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 5:58 am
Actually I am ditching the Technic 1200MKII altogether so I won't use TCVs. I just want hardware control of VDJ as if it were a CD player.

If I get the Maya44 then I won't need USB in the mixer correct? If I get the Numak CM200USB which includes 2 USB inputs I assume that I then don't need the Maya44. Is this correct in my way of thinking?

Has anyone designed a dual CD/MP3 disc player that you can also control products like VDJ. I guess that would have to be a CD player with MIDI & USB support. Does such a product exist?

I want to do gigs with the PC & VDJ but I want to also have a mixing dual CD/MP3 disc player as a backup in case thing go wrong the laptop, external HD or VDJ. Backup is the key here.

I thank everyone who is helping me out here.

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 2:52 pm
If you don't get the maya 44 USB (or similar sound card) you don't be able to use TCCDs (or TCVs). If you don't plan to use them, you could use the Numark CM200USB as your USB sound cards to mix with VDJ and cd-players for backup.

You could use these controllers with VirtualDJ:

DJ Console: http://us.hercules.com/products/showpage.php?p=87&b=0&f=1

DAC-2: http://www.pcdjhardware.com/DAC2.asp

DAC3: http://www.pcdjhardware.com/DAC3.asp

or wait for BCD-2000: http://www.behringer.com/BCD2000/index.cfm?lang=ENG

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 5:19 pm
"Has anyone designed a dual CD/MP3 disc player that you can also control products like VDJ. I guess that would have to be a CD player with MIDI & USB support. Does such a product exist?"

All dual CD players/mp3 disc players will work with VDJ. You have to use the special timecoded CD. You can burn your own timecode cd.

Mensajes Tue 04 Oct 05 @ 5:48 pm
OK. I think I am seeing things a little differently now. Originally I thought I wanted a seperate hardware controller to control VDJ and then send out two channels for both decks to my physical mixer where I could then mix it.

From what I have read recently this is what I got and might be better for me.

I can use mixing CD players and controller to play time coded CDs which plug into an external USB sound card plugged into the laptop. VDJ reads the timecode from the CDs and then uses that timecode for Cue/Play/Pitch etc... Then I use the outputs of the soundcard and plug it into the mixer inputs where I can then physically mix the two VDJ decks with the fader on the physical mixer.

Do I have it right here?

Are there any limits to VDJ using the TCCDs? Do all CD functions of the CD players work with the TCCDs?

Will the Maya44USB work for this? If I understand correctly I will need 4 inputs (CD#1 L, CD#1 R, CD#2 L, CD#2, R) and 4 outputs (VDJ Deck #1 L, VDJ Deck #1 R, VDJ Deck #2 L, VDJ Deck #1 R)

This sounds good because if something goes wrong with the laptop, VDJ, external hard driver or Maya I could just use regular old CDs or MP3 CDs to mix from the CD players as a backup. Is this what others do also?

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 1:13 am
You can use the simple features of a CD-Player... but master tempo and BPMs are useless (and don't work) in your CD-Player. You can use pitch, start stop cue... Many users use a back CD-Player or PC also.

Mensajes Wed 05 Oct 05 @ 2:22 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)