Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: master tempo

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Is there any effort that will be made to improve the master tempo (time stretch) in virtual DJ?

Mensajes Wed 05 May 04 @ 5:07 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003

Mensajes Thu 06 May 04 @ 2:28 pm
what the hell? So where the pitch is positioned makes a difference? hmmm

can that be fixed?

Thanks for the reply

Mensajes Thu 06 May 04 @ 8:55 pm
The pitch slider affects the sound quality only when time stretch is activated. If the pitch is set to zero, no algorythm is applied on the song so it sounds "normal".

The more you push the pitch on a direction, the lower will the quality be, cause the algorythm "hashes" the file to reduce or increase the length, and it is audible.

To be simple the time stretch wil make one two millions markers in the file, at a regular interval. When you want to slow down a song using the pitch, the time stretch will insert a little silence at each marker, making the length of the song bigger without changing the note, and the interval between the beats bigger too. When you want to increase the speed, the time stretch will cut the song at each marker either.
So the more markers you have, better the quality is. The reality is more complicated but it can be described like this.
If you let the pitch at the normal pos, at the middle, the sound will play normally without be distorted by the time stretch algorythm.

If you select a +/-8% range, the sound will not be SO distorted. If you select a pitch range +/- 50%, the sound will become ugly at the extremities.

If the songs start without be pitched, the sound will be good at the moment the audience is listening to the new song, and later, just before the next, you slowly change the pitch to match the next song's bpm, which will equaly start with a 0 pitch...

Hope you will understand something in this...

FRUiT94

Mensajes Thu 06 May 04 @ 9:57 pm
In fact I can even imagine a new kind of bpm matching.

VDJ would in my dream, select a point in the song, let's say 1/4 from the end. At this pos, VDJ slowly starts to move the pitch to match the deck2 song's bpm, which is not actually playing.

When this is done, the first song has been played with the pitch equal to 0 during 3/4 of it's length (with the best sound quality).

When the second song starts, the pitch is 0 too, cause teh first deck is synchronized, and so on...

The operation would be automatised, as the pitch-reset button can actually do. This is just another moment to synchronize, not when the song is loaded, but when it is above finished. Another way to mix.

Just a thought...

FRUiT94

Mensajes Thu 06 May 04 @ 10:15 pm
I sort-of understand. Let me give you an example. Traktor DJ 2.x has 3 levels of master tempo quality. On the highest quality, it eats up more CPU but sounds VERY VERY GOOD. I like VirtualDJ better than traktor though. The other software that I own is BPM studio. Their master tempo is TERRIBLE at anything beyond +/-4%. VirtualDJ is somewhere in between. Do you think they could ever improve on the quality or add an option so DJ can choose the quality?

Mensajes Fri 07 May 04 @ 12:47 am
I don't know how The Traktor's time stretch work but I guess the technique is similar. The "quality" of the time stretch depends on how many 'cut points' are avalaible for a song. Maybe the VDJ team could grow this number, but as you said, it eats always more CPU.

I don't know what the solution is but for the moment, I apply the 'trick' I explained and I get a pretty good quality...

Give it a try...

FRUiT94

Mensajes Fri 07 May 04 @ 3:18 pm
well if they could add a way for the user to adjust this, it would give those who have more power-- better quality

Mensajes Sat 22 May 04 @ 12:10 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)