Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Wishes and new features

Tema: Please do Karaoke Right

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Guys this karaoke idea is cool and all but we have some major issues tring to run a show with it. Here are a few ideas to make it better.

1. Karaoke should have its own player, playlist, search and next singer screen

2. it should not use one of the effects or 2 if you want both players, it should be a hard coded module within the software. Which I wouldn't mind paying extra for either

3. it should support cd+g,mp3+g, and .zip files and the new dvd/vcd formats.

hope this helps

Mensajes Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 3:56 am
actually.... some second thoughts on this....

I tried it for the first time today, to check it out.

It's kinda tricky this, becasue I would not like to see VDJ be too overloaded, and as a DJ (never do any karaoke) I would mind pay more for this (Sorry Cyderhouse... lol) ....

But if implemented in a nice way, not making it cost more, or destroying the ease of VDJ as a DJ program, why not... :) But I want VDJ to be a DJ program first of all..

Acutally, it was kinda nice the plugin! :) At least I thought so...
It will let you in controll from PC, and right-click on the song-text window will let you send that window only to a TV-output on your PC. Hence the guests will only see the lyrics on tv-screen... pretty nice! :)

I never do any karaoke, so I really don't know the needs, but I guess some kinda system for "next singer list" is needed... maybe. I have seen Dj's do karaoke, but it always seems like they only deliver a note/pass/paper to the dj with the name of the guest + track they want to sing, and the DJ/KJ picks one from the note/pass/paper...in a really analog way :) lol

I guess I could have had a pretty good karaoke session with VDJ 2.0 as it is today, but for a hardcore DJ/KJ this might not be enought...

Would love to hear from other DJ/KJ's on this topic.

Its kinda tricky... I guess. Is VDJ a DJ program, or a KJ program. Or both? :) As long as it would not raise the costs for the program, and the DJ part of the program suffer, KJ is welcome by me :)

Dj in Norway

Mensajes Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 5:13 am
Hi again ;)

I kinda had a sleepless night over this karaoke thing… LOL :)
Been thinking and thinking…

Karaoke functionality vs pro dj software…

Wanting VDJ to stay a pro software for DJ’s, but also see the marked for implementing a KJ solution.

Think there might be a way that could make VDJ a very good KJ software WITHOUT destroying the easiness of the software as it is today, and WITHOUT destroying it’s pro-DJ approach.

Could the KJ thing be implemented just like the sample engine is?
Having its own button on the skin (like the sample engine has) that will “replace” the songlist-brownser with KJ stuff, like “next singer list”, vocal remover, Pitch/Tempo/Balance Controls , lyrics control window and other stuff.

This would make a KJ engine within the VDJ, just as the sampler engine is. Having the favour of being easily “hidden” from pro-dj’s that never do karaoke, and easily accessed by KJ’s who want to use VDJ for karaoke.

Think this would be a nice way of working this out, giving the best of both worlds : VDJ still being a Dj program, with pro KJ possibilities easily accessible as an “engine” within VDJ, just like the sampler engine..

Just a thought :)

Dj In Norway

Mensajes Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 5:38 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Yup I agree with you Dj In Norway. VDJ should be a DJ software, so if karaoke option would be implemented, it should not use up cpu when not used. That is the only thing that we are worrying about (non-KJs ;).

Otherwise, the plug-in could probably do it's work niceley if someone would make one like this :)

Or if a special karaoke software would be made (for example to be purchased), that would work in a VST way, so it could be opened through VDJ and would have it's own window.

Another thought :)

erXon

Mensajes Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 3:46 pm
good thought erxon...

The KJ thing could also be an extra "module" for VDJ, working side by side...

Mensajes Wed 23 Jun 04 @ 3:57 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
i wouldnt mind paying for a whole seperate program virtualkj
sounds good as long as it has all the features pcdj/kj has and as always doesnt crash i'am a kj i been looking for the right kj software pcdj fx is great as far as karaoke goes it's dj sorta sux virtual dj has it's dj portion beat beside it scares me with looking like it wants to freeze back to the subject though ...a seperate software to work with vdj for karaoke sounds great
at the same time i use mine and it doesnt affect the dj portion ..true it uses more cpu when using the kj display but if that effect isnt on then it runs the same and cyderhouse lets not forget the key changer along with zip files and singerlist

Mensajes Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 6:26 am
I would first of all like to see it "inside" VDJ, like the sample engine... The KJ would be hidden/shown by pressing a button, like the sample engine (kinda). This would be my preferred solution, making VDJ a killer DJ software, with great possibilities for KJ.

I'm saying this because even though many of us are "only" DJ's, I could easily see a situation where I was hired for a gig for a company (good money..lol), and they wanted a pre-dance-karaoke fun, and I would be able to do that with my VDJ ;)

And not forgetting, is soooooo much fun at a home-party, turn on VDJ, and have a little KJ on my TV :) The girls love it...hehe :)

I would rather see VDJ be a better program (for KJ) than an extra modules that works along with the program, extras to buy :) If it's possible & the VDJ team wans to, and it doesn't take a away the great pro-dj feeling/look of today :)

WHAT DO YOU THING CYDERHOUSE? ;) U went kinda quiet.. LOL

Mensajes Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 1:36 pm
I agree with DJ Norway. An own button will do. If you dont like to see this button you are able to get it out of the skin. The functionality is still there but not visible.
Ewout

Mensajes Thu 24 Jun 04 @ 10:18 pm
DJ CyderPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Dj in norway,

I'm just watching sometimes. I say my piece and hope they get the message.

My problem is I use sax n dotties KJ all the time and was really excited to see VDJ step up to the challange, but was horrified at the way it was implemented, seems to me almost as an afterthought. Like the threads says do it right, look at other KJ apps make yours better and everyone is happy. I feel sorry for the kj tring to run a show off this.

Don't get me wrong I'm happy with vdj and this is a very big first step for vdj/kj. Keep in mind this is one step away from support for mpeg video :)

Truthfully I'm pretty happy with sax's software and would rather see asio fixed than this. Just my thoughts.

Mensajes Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 12:49 pm
hi Cyderhouse ...

I'm sure there are lotsa dj's out there who are kj's also...
so i'm supporting any kj implementation.... :)

could be as a module that is "hidden" from those who only dj (kinda like sampler engine), could be a vst plugin, or other solution.. :)

i have tried a few kj programs for fun (swift) - and implementation in vdj seems possible...

by the way (from a non kj standpoint), I thoght the kj feature in vdj today was pretty cool actually... had it running for some friends at home, with tv-output (for lyrics) and me kj/dj-ing... worked very well! :) but guess there are other demands for a working kj night... (that I'm not really aware of)

so, kj's here sould be the ones making suggestions :) u guys know what u need....
hope to see you satisfied Cyderhouse :)

dj in norway

Mensajes Fri 25 Jun 04 @ 1:41 pm
Hi guys...I have to jump in on this one!

I am a Pro DJ/KJ
I DJ most of the time but I really want to expand the karaoke side of things in my business. We've just had the ultimate karaoke system put together. Running Swift just now...but I have to say Swift is easily the best I have used (I've used a lot of KJ software btw) but I think they could easily have made it twice as good.

I originally though about having a go at making my own KJ software but realised I was way out of my depth after doing the program specification...which I still have btw on paper...if anyone want's I'll gladly start building it online and then anyone else who works as KJ can help add to it.

I agree with DJ In Norway though. Before I had read his post I was thinking almost exactly the same thing. As I said before...most of the time I DJ only but very soon, there will be people working for me who mainly KJ.
I too would prefer when I'm not doing karaoke to have it out of the way...but...what about the times I'm doing DJ/KJ nights.
I've come up with a couple of solutions...and I think I may have an idea or two that suits everyone.

VDJ Team, you've done the hard bit already...it can play cdg files lol, the rest should be a piece of cake.

Build the KJ side of it as a seperate module completely so that there is no way it can interfere with the DJ side of things.

Employ a button on the skin that if you have KJ module installed it is made available through the skin. When you click the KJ button...it should bring in the KJ functionality over VDJ...perhaps make the skin a different, contrasting colour so it's obvious it's not to do with the DJ side of things.
EG. Advanced Skin - Red
KJ Skin could be blue.

I already see major advantages in building it this way...it will work for anyone this way but also rememebr my 3 screen system approach, it can easily work with that too by choosing which display the KJ Module loads in.

May I also point out that I really disliked the way you had to use KJ through the Effects as a plugin.
Have it so that if your running the KJ module it is also permenantly broadcasting on your TV output...I could see it becoming a pain having to rem to turn on TV output.
Major key benefit is that as soon as the song finishes, you could have it go to displaying your logo or contact details.

For resident KJ's this could be built on so much.

I'm just gonna give a teaser just now...but if anyone is interested I'll up a page on my site with most of the functionality I wanted to build in my app with explanations of their function.

BTW - Next Singer Screens aren't that beneficial to anyone.
Karaoke is a very hard thing to organise in a busy environment. People always go to the toilet right before they are about to sing...this is why your average KJ never gets through that many songs.

If the KJ thing takes off here at VDJ...I'll be dumping Swift (although they have been very good at building in functions I requested from Ultralite to Elite) and I'll be running 2 systems primarily.
1 - DJ/KJ station.
2 - KJ Only.

Time for bed now but I'll get working on spec...VDJ Team, I'm more than willing to lend all my KJ knowledge to you and help in any way to take The Ultimate DJ Software to the next level.

Ross.

Mensajes Sun 27 Jun 04 @ 3:11 am
DJ Ross M.... totaly agree with you :)

and being a pro dj/kj, having experience, having tried other software and even tried buiding one, I hope that you can contribute for vdj's kj posibilities

I have tried swift myself for fun, think it was a swift light or something, and it all seems like an easy app/module to add. It plays mp3 and show lyrics on screen..

for me the plugin today is great for home use (had a really fun party with my friends and vdj kj..lol) - but as of more features that pro kj's might need, I'm sure u know whats needed....

anyway... nice thoughts, and good arguments... agree with you

Mensajes Sun 27 Jun 04 @ 4:06 am

I’m really a newbie to the kj thing…
But still, find it kinda interesting….
First of all, for having fun with my friends, but also, not totally uninterested in doing a kj show maybe, it there was good money in it, at a gig for a company or something.
But would have to work a lot with my microphone skills first… a lot…hehe

But being a newbie, I cant really see what’s needed or not to make VDJ an okey dj/kj program.

Can anyone fill me inn? Keeping it to the bare minimums, because VDJ is not aspiring to be the best KJ program out there, it’s first of all a DJ program, but having the needed features to make it possible to run a KJ show with VDJ as well..
What are the MINIMUM requirements? What’s really needed, looking way from fancy extras that a dedicated KJ program would have?

I ran a KJ show for my friends at home the other day, and it worked like a charm! Did not miss anything at all… but still, I’m a newbie :)
Can’t really see the need for a “next singer” thing also, as you would have all your songs on a list right? And the guest put her/his name on a flyer with the song she/he wants to sing, and you call them up on microphone when it’s time… isn’t that the way it works?

I can only see maybe a need for these things:
- background image/logo displayed when lyrics are not shown (could be a part of skin, option for background area)
- next singer display on screen (but really? Isn’t it better to call up in microphone? As someone said, the guest might not be there anymore)
- a dedicated skin (with lesser fancy dj options & display, and more space for files etc)
- maybe a smooth crossover effect/ transition effect when lyrics change from one file to the other

what else?? Keep in mind, I’m not KJ, and don’t know… just wondering :)

what is this PITCH request?? Would you pitch the song to fit the guest?? And what is a key changer? Don’t understand…. I’m stupid… lol :)

fill me in ;) I'm interessted and curious, for home-fun first of all (where I acutally think VDJ work great for KJ already, but I'm not an advanced user)

dj in norway

Mensajes Sun 27 Jun 04 @ 7:03 pm
Hey guys I myself am a dj/kj.. Everything works fine now the way you have VDJ set up the only thing that needs changed, I should say added is a Key changer so people that ask can put there song up or down a 1/2 key if needed.. I get asked all the time and i can't do so. Because of that people dont come back. Karaoke in Erie Pa is such a big thing and people around here are very picky about the shows they go to.

Norway a key changer well it is kinda like your pitch changer but changes the keys of a song.. when you slide the pitch up and down is speeds up the song or slows down the song. a key changer works by 1/2's or 0.5 if you want an EX. check out PCDJ KJ it has a key changer it worked out great for me when i used that program. If you could steal the idea from them that would be awsome. I use VDJ 4 days a week for KJ and 2 days a week for DJ I am running it all the time and yes everything is great but one thing a key changer. Please add a key changer!! If you have any questions just Email me at coreybraden@hotmail.com

Thanks,
Corey B

Mensajes Wed 19 Jul 06 @ 8:04 pm
djsherzPRO InfinityMember since 2006
There IS a key changer though! It's one of the plugins, on the downloads page somewhere. Tried it, seems to work fine, although it causes a couple of milliseconds of delay to the audio, which wouldn't be a problem for karaoke use, but makes life difficult if you want to beatmix with it switched in... Give it a try!

Mensajes Thu 20 Jul 06 @ 2:53 am
djjbPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hi guys...
i like it the way it is now and it works cool..
i don't mis anything. i have litle tickets in the karaokemap where the songs are in (on the table).
people that like to karaoke have to fill in the ticket, so i don't need this extra browser effect etz. thing

Mensajes Fri 21 Jul 06 @ 3:46 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)