Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Virtual DJ v2.0: first test impression - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

As you may know, I'm one of the first professional dj's using MP3's in my dj-sets in the biggest clubs in Belgium (Sotto's & Zillion). I use(d) Alcatech BPMStudio and was contacted by Hercules some months ago as being a beta tester for the Hercules dj console.

At this moment I did use the dj console in several dj-sets, even on the Belgium Cityparade (Zillion truck).
I follow this board very closely and decided to purchase the Virtual DJ v2.0, because everybody is talking about it's enormous addition against the 'free' reduced functional Virtual DJ v1.09 (delivered with the console).

After installing it, and having numerous sound problems, I discovered on this forum some very usuful information. To the management of Virtual DJ: please put a screen during the installation or a button in the software where it says "download the manual HERE".

When I started with the software the following came up:

- loading tracks:
the bar is prolonged and it takes more time to load the songs. I couldn't figure out why this is done - but it took some songs forever to load them (compared with the Virtual DJ v1.9)

- beatlock:
the beatlocks are to be clicked individually. Why was this done? I don't see the benefit of it. Either you beatlock, or you don't.
If you disable one beat lock, and you scroll in the song that is playing (with the beatlock on), the music is still being beatlocked (which appears very strange to me). Any reason for that?

- jogwheels
this could be a problem with Hercules, but the jogwheels are becoming way too sensitive, the least you touch them makes the tracks run away. In the past, this problems occured with the 'free' Virtual DJ. Hercules provided a free patch/update. It does give me a strange feeling that Atomix overlooked this problem. I'm sure that the programmers are aware of this problem.

- cool add-ons:
I've downloaded some add-ons, but quit frankly... none of them seemed to amaze me. Vocal remover, reverse playing, samples (I'm afraid that these are unauthorised samples?).. nothing thàt fancy that knocks your socks off. They are fun for using two times, but the third time you heard it all before and leave them alone.

I'm sorry to admit, but on first sight the improvements are not spectacular. I agree that I have to test the software thorougly, so I'm giving it the benefit of a doubt. Tomorrow night I will do some more mixing and inspection of the software, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to experience 'a whole new feel'.

I hereby want to state that if the software does not meet up to my satisfaction I will ask for a refund. 115 EUR is not alot of money, but I also have to work hard to gain some.

Here are some pictures of me using the Hercules dj console & Virtual DJ at the Cityparade in Ghent (Belgium):

http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/CITYPARADE/normal_Photonics_city%20parade079.jpg

http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/CITYPARADE/normal_Photonics_city%20parade102.jpg

http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/CITYPARADE/normal_Photonics_city%20parade244.jpg

This was the truck of Zillion:
http://www.3d69.be/ZILLION/gallery/albums/CITYPARADE/normal_Photonics_city%20parade332.jpg

all pictures can be found @ gallery.zillion.be - if you look at Zillion Beach you will see me using BPMStudio

Mensajes Mon 12 Jul 04 @ 10:19 pm

Mensajes Mon 12 Jul 04 @ 10:28 pm
hi djelof...
nice to see an other pro dj here, I also work at all from huge clubs, to smaller venues, and are definitively a working dj for years now... :)

i have used all kinds of hardware, lately been using pioneer 600 mixer and cdj1000 cd-decks..

but as an optimist for new technology and always curious about new things, I started check out "all" dj programs out there like a mad man the last 6 months (lol) - all from bpm studio, traktor, mixvibes, vdj etc etc..

I'm very happy to use pc at my dj-work now, gives me many advantages, and is a great add-on to my cd-deck set :)

I'm not trying to argue here, but I think you are very wrong! :)
VDJ is by far ALOT better dj-program than BPMStudio!!!! u can't even start to compare those two programs! BPMStudio (for me) is just a dual cd-player that turn out worse than real life cd players... vdj is not like that! Its a nice add-on, giving me so much more advantages and possibilities than regular cd-players ;) (great loop system, dual waveform, good database system, nice effects w/vst support, sampler engine etc)

and...
issue 1 : soundproblem...
really??????? using vdj with the hercules console soundcard is fast and easy - setup on the fly... have not seen any other dj programs that have a better and more understandable soundcard-setup than vdj, and easier - that works! Its one of the huge advantages VDJ have (my opinion!) :)

- loading tracks:
have vdj2.0, and used to have vdj 1.09, with my console.
It does not take longer time, is very quick, and I cant see why u get this result... if u use long already made mixes (that are up to an hour long) or long mp3's, it sure will take time, but u can turn off max load in setup (maybe u had this turned off in vdj 1.09?). This is because vdj load waveform, and mp3 into memory. Using long/big mp3's, this feature can be turned off... loosing the advantage waveform display have etc (and really turning vdj back to other dj programs like bpmstudio)

- beatlock:
new beatlock engine.. can't say, I never use, maybe u are right... I never user beatlock... can't really see working dj's even have the use for a beatlock. But then again, its a feature of vdj, and other dj progs dont have... if u dont like, dont use.. I dont :) as to why it was changed, i dont know. Maybe vdj beatlock users could address this...

- jogwheels
they are exactly the same under 1.09 and 2.0.. at least for me :) hardware problem? or are u using them in scratch mode??? thats very new to vdj 2.0, u can even use jogwheels for scratch, nice feature... but u can turn this off, leaving the jogwheel behaviour exactly like in vdj 1.09... and if u do have scratch on, sure they would be a lot more sensitive.. lol :)

- cool add-ons:
this is where I lost you... really??????? you must be the first working dj I have ever heard that dont like a good flanger, echo out or other great dj tools.. making mixes better, cooler etc! :) why even have a dj software program, if you are not gonna use these features! and samples are sooooo cool!! man, the most known djs in the world have hardware sampler that plays samples recorded, to use for great mixes, transmissions etc - and this is built into vjd! wow!!! thats all I can say.... u really have to try it more, its amazing, your mixing will never be the same, and go to a huge gig with a well known international dj star... see how samples are used ;) its a GREAT dj tool... and built into vdj 2.. Amazing, thats all I can say ...

I totally totally disagree with you my friend ;) I'm not trying to argue, or "pick a fight"... lol...
But your impressions as a dj amaze me..
why would u even have a dj software?

As a professional dj for last few years, playing at big clubs and venues.. I can cross my heart say that vdj is a great tool, far better than other dj programs. It gives my mixes a new dimension, new possibilities and better control..
waveform, effects, samples - its great! and its definitively worth it... hello!! any other dj program cost a lot more, with a LOT less for money... :) sorry my friend, I think u are wrong on this, hence my big reply.... :) lol

and as of Hercules.. it really came alive with VDJ2.0..!!!! it works a lot better, scratch jogwheels.. ;) I like it, but xp10's are my choice for the future..

sorry again, for disagreeing with you in a major way! :)

dj in norway

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 1:18 am
Hey my friend, no problem! That is the reason why I posted my 'story' yesterday. I want to share my feelings and want yours to hear too.

I've been using Virtual DJ for months (version 1.09) and the difference with 2.0 are not that spectacular in my first opinion. But! Like I said: I have to test it more thoroughly.

About the samples/effects: do you really use them? At Zillion we have the FX 500 from Pioneer, together with a KORG. First couple of gigs I knocked myself out with these devices... after a while it gets boring. At radio.zillion.be you can listen to the Zillion Beach recording (recorded all night long) and you hear me using the flanger effect from time to time. That is untill now the only effect that doesn't bore me as much. On the mixing board (Pioneer DJM ... , forgot the number) there are some effects too.

My personal opinion is: music is the key. Fancy effects are nice but not used alot in professional environment. In fact, have you ever heard Tiesto or Armin use it?

Now, don't read my posting wrong: I think that Virtual DJ is much more accurate and better than BPMStudio. But I was a bit disappointed that the difference between 1.09 and 2.0 are so little ànd some functions have a whole new way of using. I'm sorry to admit but it doesn't feel worth the 115 EUR to upgrade from the 'free' reduced Virtual DJ v1.09 to v2.0 for dj console users.

Just like you I'm waiting to get my hands on the XP10's.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:11 am
hi again djelof..;)

well, I see some of your points.. ;) I would not say effects/samples etc get "booring" after a while, but as you, I tend to stay more true to music, and don’t over-use effects.. in many settings mixing music like it is, sounds a lot better :) if effects are used, they should be used in a subtle way.. true.

as of the improvements are spectacular or not, well, its every users different opinion.. :) I'm a bit like you in many ways, I stay true to mixing (only) - so fancy extras are fancies that I don’t always use... but still nice every now and then :)

as you say - music is the key! totally agree..... :) over-use of effects, samples etc can even "destroy" a good gig, loosing the focus on music :)

but as of vdj is worth the few euros or not.. well, I do disagree.. lol :) 100 euros is what a dj get in 1-2 hours of a gig, and giving you a full version of vdj that implements that you can use any effect, skin, samples, dual soundcard, scratch mode etc - is definitively worth it :) compared to other dj software it's a bargain!! ;) and will entitle you to free updates, fixes and better support... for what u get in an hours or so at a gig.. well, I really thing its worth it, and a great investment :)

100 euro for letting you upgrade from console (1 output to mixer) to full (2 outputs into mixer) is an upgrade alone worth the money, if you use vdj at gigs.

But you got me on one spot.. lol.. I don’t really use samples that much! ;) And flanger/echo are almost the only effects I ever use live, kinda like u.. :) samples/effects can be fun for other dj's, so I like that its there, and for really kicking houseparties, or techno djs, samples can be awesome.. :) and as you say, you had a sampler hardware, now you got that hardware inside vdj (and such a hardware costs more than the whole vdj package) - so again, vdj is a bargain :) .. and some of the effects here got almost as good sound as a pro Pioneer 600 mixer (with built in effects), like echo out, flanger etc.

but as of Tiesto and dj's playing his kinda music, well... it's flanger, low-cut/high-cut, LFO, reverb heaven! they use effects a lot... to get the mode drifting from high sounds kicking in the air, to low bass sounds hitting the floor...
AND - those dj's use also a lot of samples!! Bringing hardware or pc for that job.. I would think that Tiesto does too...
at least here are photos of him with sampler mixer w/ loads of effects:
http://ravezone.qc.ca/photos/soirees/dagobert/tiesto/douk/tiesto14.jpg
http://ravezone.qc.ca/photos/soirees/dagobert/tiesto/douk/tiesto09.jpg

I have seen him say that Stanton VRM-10 mixer is his favourite (http://www.stantondj.com/alpha44/load.asp?page=vrm10), a mixer full of effects...
guess he must use them :) and u get most of them built into VDJ with native plugins and VST plugins (last one a new feature of vdj2.0, worth the upgrade too)

Giving the vst support, sampler engine, full effects/skin downloads, support for dual soundcard/3d soundcard, better Hercules support and last but not least, free updates & fixes… for 100 euro! Well its soooo much worth it! ;) is my opinion at least…giving me a good extra tool at my gigs .. :)

but still, good to see another working dj here, and nice photos... :) would love to hear more experiences from u as you gig, and feedback.. and ideas etc. :) seem like you and me work in the same kinda environments, so glad to see you around :) maybe vdj 2.0 will grow on u, and u will like it better, and see the full use of new features.. maybe not .. but still … cool to see ya here, although we differ in opinion, but that’s allowed … lol ;)

dj in norway

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 3:32 pm
anonymous... lol ;)

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 4:17 pm
I'm off using it right now! Testing it, I will see if my opinion changes.

If you are from Belgium, I am just booked for club Carré (www.carre.be) to do a retro trance dj-set on Tuesday the 20th of July. Last minute booking it seems. I will be using the Virtual DJ + console I think. Many of the old tracks are a bit "cracky" and I do have them in superb quality as official MP3's.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 6:16 pm
Been at it for half an hour and frustrated myself in the beatlock. I can't understand why the beatlocks are to be clicked seperated. Also, why is it no longer possible to adjust the pitch while the song is playing? I mean, both beatlocks are on and I want to pitch one song, then I could do this without any problem in v1.09. Now I have to put off the beatlock and then I can move the slider with the pitch.

These two little things annoy me alot and limit my mixing feel. Can someone of the management explain please why this is changed in the new version?

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:18 pm
wow.... !! looks like a really nice club!!! cool ;)

as of the beatlock, got no idea, dont use it...
hopefully others will help/answer this

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:43 pm
djelof

I use both VDJ and BPM Studio. I use VDJ for live mixing and BPM for m3u playlist they work great together as a team. But like dj-in-norway said VDJ is much better. For me to bring out the best of VDJ it toke a DAC-2 controller. The Hercules controller may not be the one for you it didn't work that good for me. Find a controller that you like and go for it. Sorry I can't help with the beatlock I don't use it. I know that beatlock is still on most skins but I think that feature has been removed from V2.0 I THINK so it may not work right in V2.0. Didn't we do a pole on removeing the beatlock feature?

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 7:53 pm
phillydjPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
well i'am a pro dj here in philly and my pioneer cmx 3000 , 5000 and technics 1200mk2 are now collecting dust because of the vdj program i trust it enough to do corporate events where the company i work for charges so much....that im not trying to have any equipment problem the only thing slowing me down is putting all my old vinyls on the pc

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 8:17 pm
DjElof
The user manual is installed automatically:
Start-Program files->virtual dj->user manual
or c:\program files\virtual dj\Virtual DJ - User guide.pdf

On the beat lock issue.
the beat lock is designed now to support more than 1 instance of VDJ. So you are able to start 2 instances with VDJ and have 4 decks (improvement in version 2). The beat lock works like this:
- You play a song in deck A
- You are beat mixing the song of deck B
- So you hit the beat lock button of deck B (only deck B)
- Deck B is now beat locked to deck A, you are able to change the pitch of deck A (deck B will follow)
- You can't change the pitch from deck B while deck B is related to A
- You could also beat mact deck C in a second instance. Then you hit the beat lock button of deck C. Now deck C will follow deck A also

So it is not really changed. You now only have to decide what will be the master deck and what will become the slave deck.

On the issue of the effects, I will recommend to try some VST plugins. There are some very good ones. I have one where you could do you own "Phats n Small" or "Daft punk" frequency shifts with any song.

Also look into the D-Vinyl controller support in version 2.

Happy spinning
Ewout

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 9:41 pm
Okay, my best opinion: I'm strongly disappointed. I tried to make some mixes and looked for the best in the program, but didn't find it.

Take this for instance:
I'm mixing two tracks, beatlocks are on. The first track is done and then I want a small track (like a sample) to play in the first deck. Let's say an MP3 that says 'dj Elof mix session'. Of course, being only vocals the program recognizes the beats per minute wrongly and sets the pitch to 133%. I click on the beatlock of the left to disable it. I re-adjust the track by moving the slider to the 0-point. I then press play... and the other side of the deck automatically goes to -133%

So.. I had to disable both beatlocks before trying this.

(please don't argue by saying that I should upload it like a sample - because I want to do tricks with the speed of the track)

Another problem:
At the beginning of the evening I usually mix some club and groove, with a BPM from around 125 - 130 bpm. Moving on slowly around midnight to some trance in the area of 130 bpm - 138 bpm. At full house I go to 138 - 141/142 bpm.
I often adjust the BPM to go higher or lower. At version v1.9, with beatlock on, you could do this easily.

Now I have to perform several actions: unlock both tracks (pushing twice: beatlock deck A and beatlock deck B), gain the pitch (with the dj console it is just a button to turn), then beatlock again.
When it used to be just plain and simple: turn the knob.

Then another problem with the BPM counter:
I have some tracks that are wrongly measured in BPM. Like for instance: Junk Project - Control. The song starts perfectly, but after the break the beat indication of Virtual DJ is incorrect. I thought: no problem, these are only a few MP3's. Yesterday and today I downloaded some more offical MP3's (I usually encode from CD, but with the new legal download mp3 shops, I buy them). Two tracks are incorrectly measured by Virtual DJ. In another topic it seems that other people have this same problem. Problem cause: Virtual DJ does only one check (I guess at the beginning of the track) and divides the whole track in beats. It should better be: continiously adepting the beat per minutes. Recount them. As a user of BPMStudio I noticed that this problem does not occur with the tracks that I mentioned. Apparantly BPMStudio does another kind of bpm counting.

Don't understand me wrong: Virtual DJ is a magnificient program to mix MP3's with, but I'm using it in a professional environment and can't afford to do unlogical clicks, switches, turns or whatever when there are many clubbers on the dancefloor. I need a stable, easy to use program that simply does the job.

With version 1.09 I was delighted and my mixes went perfect (except a few minor issues aside - like that bpm counter). With the new version, indeed there are some new options and new nifty additions. But for me, the basics of the program are changed, and not in a positive way. To do the same as in the previous version I have to do more (complicated) actions that require too much attention. One mistake and my mix goes wrong.

Like said before, the tricks with effects and samples are cool, but unuseful for me.

Although I still want to use this new version and try to believe in it's extended, better than v1.09, capabilities I'm afraid that I will return to this previous version. I will ask for a refund and maybe if version 2.1 or 3.0 is released that I will buy it again. I would like some reaction from the Atomix crew. I know this sounds like only critics, but don't take it that way. Try to understand my position in this and my requirements.

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 9:56 pm
Superstorm, thanks for your help.

But can I be frankly? How many of the professional dj's will use 4 or more decks? Without a doubt I can say that most of us use two channels. Just like we use 2 turntables or 2 CD players.

Forgive me for saying, but changing the complete idea behind beatlock for this advanced feature is not a smart thing to do.

But not to be only negative, here are some more pictures from me spinning at clubs with Virtual DJ:

Nosotros - the Zillion on Tour
http://www.nosotros.be/nieuw/fotos/220504/HPIM3023.JPG
(you see Frank Verstraeten, myself and my laptop)

http://www.nosotros.be/nieuw/fotos/220504/HPIM2997.JPG
(me behind the laptop - not a clear view though)

http://www.nosotros.be/nieuw/fotos/220504/HPIM2981.JPG
(me surprised from the picture, laptop & dj console in the back)

More images: www.nosotros.be > gallery

Sotto's - Celebration party (with 4.000 clubbers)
http://www.sottos.be/v2/gallery/pictures/300404/pics/DSC00497.jpg
(me & my collegue, if you look closely you see my laptop running Virtual DJ just next to my arm)

http://www.sottos.be/v2/gallery/pictures/300404/pics/DSC00553.jpg
(clear view of me mixing with Virtual DJ)

More images: www.sottos.be > Krypton goes Sotto's > gallery > party pictures > birthday celebration 14 mei 2004

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 10:07 pm

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 10:09 pm
really cool photos.. nice to see you in action with vdj ;)

great to see others use vdj at big clubs, make me feel less alone in the world... lol :)

okey, I can see that beatlock might have changed.. did not use it in 1.09 and don't use it in 2.0..

SO - can anyone tell me WHY you are using beatlock???? maybe I'm missing out on something here, but have never seen the use for it... sync is another thing, sync beats.. but why would you LOCK them?? play 2 tracks on top of eachother for a long time? as long as they are synced, why lock them... and jogwheels are great for small nudges if they drift apart

beatlock?? really??? lol.. never used that.. i pitch and beatmix, and move to higher bpm's manually by pitching and picking faster songs... to make the dancefloor go mad ;)

the ONLY use I have seen for beatlock are with samples (fit beat on the push of a button)

there are not beatlock on cd players and even not in other dj software I think..

but maybe I'm missing out on something here... ;)

Mensajes Tue 13 Jul 04 @ 10:49 pm
hi djelof.

like you i was usually playing with my console and vdj 1.09 and one day i decided to buy full version.

I'm disapointed , because it seem that the v 2.0 is not so good as v 1.9 , especially for beatlocking tracks.

i really hope that the staff is working on this problem , i was able with v 1.9 to make some amazing mixes , but now with v 2.0 , the synchro of the tracks is bad too much time.

By the way djelof , i'm planning a Hercules DJ console + virtual dj truck for next year city parade , are you interrested for joining us ??

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 8:31 am
Hi Decubber,

Pffieuw.. I almost thought that I was the only one having these problems. Like I stated before: it is NOT my intention to break down the program, but there are too many changes made to the "original" purposes of some functions. Basic function problems that prevent a smooth working.

Cityparade 2005... here I come!
I'm always interested in such things, but I have to say: way too early to do concrete plans. Who knows what happens the next months. Clubs are changing, dj's are changing, music is changing. I hope to be still part of it, but I have no idea where I will be next year.

By the way, I have some more news... (a bit off-topic, but hey) it's official since this morning: I'm booked for the Antwerp Is Burning Outdoor 2004 edition in Belgium. I'm doing the warming up in the trance room, just before Armin Van Buuren, MIKE, Ferry Corsten & John OO Fleming.

Another dream come true... but I have to disappoint you guys, I will not use my laptop. It will be vinyl all the way. Although... never say never ;-)

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 9:50 am
wow... there are more and more pro dj's on this topic ;) cool...

but still, please tell why u use beatlock?
it seems like its the only feature that you dont like in vdj 2.0, because it has changed...
but i'm in the dark here... do u really lock the tracks?

I sync the deck and use jogwheel to make sure that every beat/messure (the first beat of the measure) are synced with the track playing, then I blend it in... they stay in sync/beat ..
so, agian, why lock them?

for me locking the beats of 2 tracks would only be annoying, and make me less flexible.. but maybe I'm missing something here...:)

again, would love to hear why u use the beatlock feature... for me it seems like a bed-room/beginner feature that actually are "makings things to easy", and ruin the flexibility and drive of a mix... but then agian, I might be wrong here

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 1:27 pm
I don't know... came in the manual?
I started with Virtual DJ some months ago and the beatlock seemed a nifty feature that I instantly used. It was less worrying about pitch and beat mixing. The software does it automatically. More time to do other things:
- less worrying (more time to look which music to play, pre listen, ...)
- I count alot with the tracks ('about this many minutes before the break, or after the break'), so my mixes are more smoothly, one track goes down, the other start at the right moment

I'm a simple guy you know... if the feature works and does the job right, then I use it. But... don't show me a feature and let me enjoy it and then change it! *grin*

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 2:58 pm
56%