Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Virtual DJ v2.0: first test impression - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

hi agian djelof ;)

ok, i see you found a feature u liked, and used it.. and can see why u did not like having it changed then ;)
maybe the new way will "grow on u", and start like it after using it for a while, when it gets in the back of your mind...

but until then, try just sync beats, if bpm are correct, they will stay in beat, even if they are not locked... if you get used to work this way, I really think u will find it better.... but maybe not. I never use beatlock...

or maybe the vdj team can have both features, a button/setup changing the beatlock behaviour, for the 1.09 way for those who like that, and the 2.0 way for those who prefer that... ask for it as a new feature... i can see your point, if i used beatlock, i might have wanted it too to stay like in 1.09...
so, a new feature might be that you can choose what way beatlock should behave, in setup (dual beatlock or free beatlock) - that would be a nice new feature for vdj

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 3:09 pm
Aha! A special version for me ;-)

No seriously, you don't use the beatlock you say. Strange, because that is a feature that really kicks out for Virtual DJ I find. True, even when you are no dj, you can now beatmix without any problems. But like I said before: beatmix as much as possible, but choosing the right tracks or starting/stopping them at the correct time makes someone a good deejay.

I know that there is alot of hassle from people saying that the fun is out of dj-ing when using MP3-software. I strongly disagree. I like vinyl mixing and I like MP3 mixing. It are two totally different ways of playing music.

Ow right, I had a question: if you use sync, you say that with the jogwheels you always adjust. Why is this? Because of the music 'floats' away?

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 3:15 pm
a spesial version for u ;) lol... hehe.. but guess there are more people "missing" the old way... so, could be a nice feature letting users choose the way beatlock behave...

yeah... beatmix IS easier with dj software, and beatlock makes it even more easy, but as you say, thats not really what dj-ing is about... its about finding the right songs, mixing the right moments, and getting the crowd moving... :)

i dont see it as less "fun" to use vdj, actually its more fun, as you say, can focus more on my mixes, finding the songs etc, because vdj wave display shows me how the beat/breaks etc are

jogwheels for nudge yes.. IF they start drifting apart (they often dont drift at all, if bpm are perfect), but if they do, a small "nudge" will join them together again... and u can see the potesial drift in the dual wave/beat display, and adjust before the crowd hear...

thats how i work anyway.. :)

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 3:24 pm
I have tried the v2.0 a bit more tonight and... tomorrow I remove it from my system. I go back to v1.09. I'm sorry...

Would like some response from the Virtual DJ Team. Maybe they can clearify some problems?

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 7:46 pm
DJElof,
I dont use the beat lock at all like DJ in Norway. What I mostly do is the following

Play a song in deck A. Load a song to deck B. Make sure that the active desk is deck B. Hit space on the first beat of the track playing in deck A. VDJ will sync the beats, but beat lock is off. when the beats are not completely in sync hit space again. I have also created shortcuts for a little pitch change. I use these also to get the pitch correct.
Then I move deck B to the proper que point. I will start the song from the cue point on a good moment. No beat lock on, while deck a and b are already in sync. Then you could use nudge to do minor corrections

I tested the beat lock, but sometimes it does some strange things screwing up your mix. I prefer to keep in control myself..

I'm very happy with VDJ 2. The only thing which need some work in my opinion is the load time of the application. With loads of songs the new XML database is quite slow
Ewout

Mensajes Wed 14 Jul 04 @ 9:33 pm
I do the same as Superstorm. No beatlock because it feels like you lose the control over your mix. I only use sync and nudge.

Mensajes Thu 15 Jul 04 @ 11:59 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
Same here, plus a look at the waveforms.
I miss this last one when i mix with the classic way
(cd's or turntables)

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 1:18 pm
djelof: Try using only one of the two beatlock buttons (never both at the same time), because when both are activated, you can't change the pitch of any song. Just beatlock the 2nd song (the one that's not playing yet), and it will be beatlocked on the first one (don't click the beatlock button on the deck that's actually playing).

Also, when playing your sample, don't click any beatlock buttons, and it should work fine :)

macourteau

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 1:51 pm
This thread is amusing. Like anything, practice makes perfect.

If your BPM values are accurate, you can create a shortcut that does a temporary Beatlock or Sync (I forget which one now) when you load a track which puts the pitch where it should be and the rest is easy if you are a good mixer.

For trance/house type genres, there is LOTS of time to make decisions about what to play next because typically the playing track is not mixed out for several verses. Consider other genres where one track is not played for longer than 2 verses... kind of medley style mixing... dj has to be on point to make it sound flawless.... this is why the thread amuses me.

Don't blame the tool, get better at using the tool.

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 4:04 pm
NAWTBOYPRO InfinityMember since 2003
call me an idiot...but what is the difference from having the beatlock on and hitting play or just hitting sync? I never use the sync buttons because i really don't know what they are for? when u do hit them the song usually drags and tries to catch up the the beats which sounds horrible...

Can anyone just give me an example of when sync is needed and the correct way to use it.!!

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 4:57 pm
as far as i can tell,the sync button tries to match the beats of 2 songs. It will try to mix the closest strong beat of the new track to the closest strong beat of the playing track (apparently determined from the amplitude of the waveform).

Beatlock matches the bpm grid detected by the program or provided by you, independant of the waveform.

DISCLAIMER: This informaion is just from my observations and not definate by any means.

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 5:07 pm
nawtboy... its beatlock that "drags" the song together... and lock them (and continue to "drag" when if they start drifting a part)

sync is a one time hit, syncs the beat of the 2 songs, and after that there is no lock, and u are free to mix...
if they start drifting, u can hit "space" or use jogweels to make them sync again...

but of course, if u wait to long before u see they start drift a part, hitting "space" will make a "drag" effect (instant beat sync).. opposed to a jogwheel nudge where u can gradually speed up/down

sync and beatlock are very alike, only major difference being that with sync they are NOT locked, so u are more free to mix...

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 5:14 pm
FruitPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Beatlock is a kind of permanent matched and synced beat. The CBG are running together.

Sync is in fact a beatmatch button, but doesn't relly syncs the beats together (handed by SPACE).

I don't use beatlock. Sometimes I activate and desactivate very quickly but I never let it while playin. If I hit the "sync" button and then I nudge a bit, after that I see NO difference with the beatlock way.

Sometimes I play a countertimed beat (sorry for the translation) : the CBGs of one of the songs are BETWEEN the CBGs of the other. Cool effect but with beatlock it's impossible.

FRUiT94

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 7:27 pm
exactly.. not locking the beats, will free you to do more cool things, like double beat mix... :)

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 7:49 pm
I'm sorry to say but I removed v2.0 from my harddisk and started with v1.09 again. Did some mixes and the "normal" feeling was there again. I think I will wait and see what happens with new releases from Virtual DJ.

Mensajes Fri 16 Jul 04 @ 10:31 pm
sad to hear....

but, can this help you out giving v2.0 "give back" some of the feel u miss from v.1.09:

- make a keyboard shortcut, say the letter "Z", and asign beatlock on both desk 1 and desk 2 on this keyboard stroke.

That will give dual beatlock with the hit of one button :)
so, the pitch are now locked...
make a keyboard shortcut (or use mouse) to turn off beatlock for the deck u want to change pitch for...

i played around with it a bit..
- hit "Z" and both decks are beatlocked to eachother
- then I hit "C" to turn off beatlock on desk 2
and can now pitch desk 2... and desk 1 will "follow" and stay in beat..
(oposite, hit "X" to turn off beatlock on desk 1)

maybe this could be a good solution for u, giving some of the beatlock "feel" u miss, and still have the benefits of vdj 2.0

dj in norway

Mensajes Mon 19 Jul 04 @ 2:31 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)