Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: How much do you work? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Just thought I'd ask this to see how you guys are balancing family life/friends with work?

I have a day job working Monday to Friday (8:30-17:30)
DJ'ing 2-3 Nights a month

I'm hoping to increase that to 4-6 nights a month, but I already feel like I spend enough time away from home.

How about you guys?

Mensajes Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 9:49 pm
2-3 times a month plus 5 days a week at a normal job. I cut it down because I wanted to spend more time at home. But there never seems to be any. Sometimes I do get greedy and book two in a weekend but I try to book my tmie off. I remember I was doing 50-60 gigs a year at a lower price. Now I do about 30 gigs a year and make more $$ then I did working almost double. It helps when you build a good rep.

Mensajes Tue 17 Apr 07 @ 10:10 pm
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
I DJ Clubs on Thursday & Friday and do Weddings on Saturday.
I work in my recording studio usualy Monday or Tuesday and relax the rest of the week.

I love my life!
I've been so lucky to have so much work that payes so well,
that I can live such a easy life.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 12:16 am
I am a high school teacher 5 days a week.
I either karaoke J or Dee J 6 nights a week, My g/f has two of her own nights as well.
We do weddings on some weekends too. WE DO NOT depend on a living from DJ/KJ however, no benefits or stuff like that. One should always have a real job to look forward and count on to.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 12:19 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
I am a single custodial parent of two teenaged girls, I have a full time job, and I own my own DJ company with three systems and three employees. If it is important you will find the time. Do not over-extend yourself, start keeping your schedual in a book or where everyone in he house can see it. You will be suprised how much a little thing like that helps.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 12:23 am
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
KregCZ wrote :
I DJ Clubs on Thursday & Friday and do Weddings on Saturday.
I work in my recording studio usualy Monday or Tuesday and relax the rest of the week.

I love my life!
I've been so lucky to have so much work that payes so well,
that I can live such a easy life.

Thats the way I'd love to live!! Except for the weddings! Right now I'm doing 2/3 nights a month in a club usally a Friday or a Saturday, sometimes a Wednesday. Theres a chance I might be getting a residency their on Thursdays though.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 12:38 am
Rory05PRO InfinityMember since 2005
I dont wanna be going to far off topic but I'd love to know what kinda times you guys work and what sorta money you get for it (if you dont mind saying! If you do its cool!)

In the club for me its always 11pm till 2.30am. I've done 21st's before and I HATE them! 9pm till 2.30am is a killer!! The 11 till 2.30 gig in a club is 160euro at the moment. It was 190 but now that I'm their more regularly they don't have to pay as much! The resident only gets 160 as well but if someone has to come in at short notice to cover they give them more! Bit weird I know!

Rory

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 12:43 am
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
Sorry Rory I am a dumb 'Merikan, what does that translate into USD? I stopped working in clubs shortley after my first little girl was born. I did not want to miss her growing up, now I miss having an excuss to leave my house, she is becoming a woman, and wee all know that means she arues with me...lol But for weddings and private events we are always done by midnight local time.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 1:01 am
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Well, I've recently bought my boss out of his dj business. I left my full time job of 8 and a half years to do so. I do quizzes and all sorts of function work as well as karaoke, kids parties etc.

Sunday to thursday nights I do quizzes (except a wednesday which is my day off) and over the weekend I could be dj'ing as much as 5 times (one friday day, one friday night, one saturday day, one saturday night and one sunday day - this is quite the extreme, but has happened).

I have 3 other dj's working for me and 2 additional quiz masters. I have 8 or 9 quizzes a week and could potentially have up to 12 discos running over the weekend (friday/saturday nights only). At the moment Fridays and saturdays are a bit mad with all the setting up and stuff of gigs as I'm extremely busy with all kinds of work. I'm currently looking to recruit new dj's and hopefully will be recruiting a karaoke presenter in the next week or two.

It's alot of work, co-ordination and scheduling, but at the same time very rewarding. I have my days 'free', i.e i don't go through a 9 to 5 routine anymore, so shopping is easy *lol* without all the long queues and stuff and I don't suffer from rush hour traffic problems. My social life in all admission has taken a bit of a hit but at the same time I've been working weekends since i was like 16 so i'm used to it now (I'm 27). In all honesty, I don't think I could sit about and 'relax'. I wouldn't really know what to do with myself...:o|

This is now my full time job. This is what I do for a living and so I'm damn sure gonna give it a good shot. The business cost me (and no doubt every other regular Joe Bloggs) alot of money and I need to make it work for me to at least try and make the money back. Although, in having said that, in only my first three weeks, I've made back just about a fifth of what I bought the business for, so that's a good sign as far as I'm concerned.

Sacrifices need to be made when you do this sort of job, whether on a part time basis or full time. It goes with the territory and should be expected. My girlfriend doesn't always like it but at the same time, it's the patience and putting up with things that give you the nice rewards in life...like a nice house, car, money in your pocket, etc.

Having said that, I still believe that money can't buy you happiness, but it can help you on your way...(",)

P

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 2:19 am
KregCZPRO InfinityMember since 2005
If you can do what you love and make a living off of it, That is Happiness!
The money is just a bonus.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 5:00 am
I'm an Automotive Service Technician during the day and do that 4 days a week (10 hour days).
For those interested I work on the Flat rate system (peicework) at $36.10/flat rate hour

I have a great big honking toolbox full of tools that have cost me literally the cost of a double wide trailer. And more gets added to it every week (cursed Snap-On dealer)

I CLub DJ 3-4 Nights a week 6.5 hours per night. (only one DJ for the whole night)
Not Allowed to talk about money at the bar. but I will say I get a nice Promo-Tab and the money I make at the NightCLub pushed me into a higher tax bracket.

DJ Marcel
Purple Onion NightClub

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 5:30 am
I am a wrencher as well, except I don't work on cars, I am a mechanic in a local bowling center. I work on 42 machines and do all the building maintenance. I work nights so I dont get home til between 3 and 5 am. I VJ on Mondays from 10:30 - 2 and I VJ/KJ on Fridays from 10-2. I love what I do and have also contenplated on doing the VJin full time, but I am afraid to make the commitment or buy all the equip just to lose out on my full time job cause in my field the mechanics are a dime a dozen.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 8:47 am
I have a consistent 3 nights a week DJ-ing and have a "tech" shift during the day doing basic maintenance on the equipment at the club. I also am part of an off broadway show we do every Saturday at the club too. I am working on getting more nights DJ-ing and other tech/production/consulting type gigs as well. I live in Vegas and this town is FULL of work!!

Not married... no kids... not a problem.

I feel for the guys who have to have the balance in their lives. I made the choice within the past year to stay out of relationships for this very reason. I can't be in a relationship and feel like I am being fair to my other half while trying to be more successful at my career.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 10:38 am
DJ-ALFPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2005
I have my own PC shop, 6 days a week, from 10am till 6-8pm (saturdays 8am-2pm) but I have a partner so he opens at 8 am every day and I don't go sometimes at saturday because I DJ at fridays. I DJ at 2 places, now in a disco only saturdays, in summer will be fridays too. I go from 21 to 23h at the small pub/club, than I go at the disco and work till 4 am. Yes, it can be hard sometimes, but I wouldn't do it if it is not payed good. And we all do this because we like it ;)

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 10:55 am
spinnaJPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I werk as an interior designer in the day time from 11pm till 10pm (5 n a half days a week), djing nowadays usually weekends. and at nite i always in my studio doing some sound or mastering (have my own label).. hmmm and have sleep abt 2 to 4 hr a day:(.. but still i feel that i doing the rite thingy. n be happy at what u do n take pride cos u young only once:)

Abt family, hmm only get to meet my gf usually average 4 time a mth or less. lol. n rarely stay at home except to sleep:)...sparetime go out or holiday ... away from home

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 1:32 pm
I used to DJ 5 nights a week on mobile doing pubs clubs weddings, 21sts singing in a band too, etc and all that.

While I was doing that all through the 90s I funded myself through university, supporting my family fine, just by djing. I did that because I promised myself that if I was going to do a job I enjoyed so much I ought to try and generally get ahead. Eventually I ended up with a very senior job in the health service . A bit boring though.

Now I only do around 3 nights a week, but I'm finding it a bit tiring at the moment because the day job is getting more demanding. I'd like to give the day job up, but it just pays too well.

It's great to hear of all the diversity here on the board - I don't think I've come across a better forum than this one.

Mensajes Wed 18 Apr 07 @ 2:02 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
Seems that we have a diverse community here, and many of you work as hard as me! feels good knowing that :).

Mensajes Sun 22 Apr 07 @ 11:40 pm
I operate a part time (10-15 hours per week) large format digital printing company specializing in Nightclub Event and Promotional Posters & Banners and some vinyl banners and signs, I work at a sign company during the day 20 hours per week (starting in May I am leaving for a new company where I will be shop manager 40 hours per week) and I Dj 4-5 nights per week in clubs as well as helping with promotions and marketing and to do all this I commute between Phoenix and Los Angeles every week..........I feel like the Jamaican family on "In Living Color", but gotta pay the bills!

Mensajes Mon 23 Apr 07 @ 1:00 pm
Hi there ;)

Interesting topic, but not much posts...
Well, I do 5 nights a week at Buddha Bar (Sofia, Bulgaria). 4 hours / gig (sometimes >5hours, if there are many party people dancing) :)
And I am a happy VDJ user :)

Cheers!

Mensajes Sat 28 Apr 07 @ 7:10 pm
I work 5 days a week at a Ford/BMW dealership and run my mobile DJ business on weekends. I'm a single op and do mainly weddings. I do 2-3 weekends in bars during the winter since there aren't too many weddings in the winter in Michigan. The pay sucks, but one night pays my insurance & advertising for the month.

I usually do about 30 weddings a year with with an average price between $1,200-$1,500. Not enough to really live on, so I keep the day job.

Mensajes Sun 29 Apr 07 @ 3:54 pm
63%