Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: the rule of CHOREOGRAPHY in djing

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Sometimes we are too focused about what "dj" need and we don'tcare about what people want to listen , to see ,to dance and what they think about technology and the actual situation in dancefloor.
For curiosity i asked to some people what they think about dj that use computer.
As result, very very few of them consider it like a good thing. Maybe it's an old way to think....
i post here some opinions..
"Controllers have to be as big possible, better if they are made by iron and stone"
"U needn't to watch the song..u need only to feel it"
"You should to be able to use "cue" function like a drum machine (latency 0)"
"You should put something inside a box..The music...music written in a phisical support..music that u choose manually from ur recordcase"
"People want to see "The dj" browsin with hands, listenin something with headphone, touchin something big (round shaped) and resistent similar to tables and pressing some buttons..."Without" look into a computer screen. U have to watch people in front of u and transmit them positive energy"
"if u move ur body just a little you can enter more in sintony with public"

Question: Give me a synonim of "Computer Dj", or the first thing that pass into ur mind when u hear it:

Answers: "easier job", "illegal", "Mp3", "wannabe a dj", "automatic things ", "static", "the end of a chapter", "cd burner", "piracy" , "P2P"

...Post ur point of view...

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 7:49 am

It does depend a bit on what kind of "laptop dj" you are though ;) Ranging from djs that barely touch the laptop using timecode on real turntables to control the software, to others not having a controller at all..

And whats a bit funny, is that the above statements and opinions are about the same that where expressed when the CD came. CD djs wheren't real djs, they where cheating, and it was too easy.. Now, CD djing is accepted by almost all.

And its been a long time since I've heard negative expressions about laptop djing too, as its become so normal. You can see it almost in any club, you can see it at star djs, and the main brands in the industry make controllers or even software. So its a new thing, that was slammed a lot in the past, but seems far more accepted by now.

That being said, the worst thing I see is a sitting DJ, that has his face planted into the laptop screen all the time, and doing all by mouse ;)
Gotta keep up a certain style and apperance at least.. even it the tools does make life easier :)

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 8:03 am
VoltronPRO InfinityMember since 2004
Camping animators, Pianobar and karaoke ppl that used to do weddings and play at the restourants are becaming all dj. Crazy world...everybody want to became a dj and nobody want to play an instrument anymore LOL

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 8:29 am
ocassionally in "hole in the wall bars" you'll find some person calling himself a DJ running "Winamp or media player" lmao
that might be what most are thinking when they see a digital DJ, lol
til they relise that software is connected to the whole setup, and that vinyl thats being spun is a TCV,
and then they finally start to realise "VDJ is not a toy" , and your not the tard running winamp,
sorry if i offended Winamp DJ's lmao automix doesn't do a 6 hour set lol, only a quick solution for bathroom or bar breaks.

**sorry i had too, no more automix knocks from me lol**

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 8:37 am
I personally don't give a shit what anyone thinks of my computer use. It is one of the silliest topics, and I would laugh at anyone that had the nerve to ask me about this. I learned a long time ago, not to let anyone define who I am. I define who I am. Trust me, I am not very nice to idiots, and my response is quick and brutal. If you have no fear, you will not conform to others expectations. The next time one of these jerk offs makes a stupid comment about you using a computer, ask them if they use a computer for anything. When they say yes, tell them to shut the f#$% up, case closed, keep it moving. When was the last time anyone handed in a term paper, written with pen and paper? Maybe we should go back to the old way of performing brain surgery. Take a swig of alcohol, bite down on this stick, grin and bare it. Ask them when was the last time they danced to a song, that didn't have a computer in it? As you can see, I am a very sweet person.

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 8:53 am
The only thing I miss with using a computer is that when I used to dig through my crates I would occasionally come across a piece of Vinyl that I had forgotten about and could then play it. A bit more spontaneous. On the other side it's so easy to search and find tracks now plus I aren't so worn out carrying so much vinyl.

Theres always been these people who want to take a pop at DJs verbally. Once upon a time it was all about some obscure record that they liked, that every DJ should have and 'you can't be a real dj or you would play it'. even if it was crap and would empty the dance floor. Later on it was 'real DJs don't play CDs'. Now it's 'Real DJs don't use computers'.

The reality of it is that these people usually are wannabe DJs who can't get a gig so they come along and make stupid comments to real DJs.

If a polite request doesn't make them go away it is acceptable to swear at them. I've stopped hitting them with a microphone stand because the management complained.

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 10:05 am
kaoz99PRO InfinityMember since 2006
dj-in-norway wrote :

It does depend a bit on what kind of "laptop dj" you are though ;) Ranging from djs that barely touch the laptop using timecode on real turntables to control the software, to others not having a controller at all..

And whats a bit funny, is that the above statements and opinions are about the same that where expressed when the CD came. CD djs wheren't real djs, they where cheating, and it was too easy.. Now, CD djing is accepted by almost all.

And its been a long time since I've heard negative expressions about laptop djing too, as its become so normal. You can see it almost in any club, you can see it at star djs, and the main brands in the industry make controllers or even software. So its a new thing, that was slammed a lot in the past, but seems far more accepted by now.

That being said, the worst thing I see is a sitting DJ, that has his face planted into the laptop screen all the time, and doing all by mouse ;)
Gotta keep up a certain style and apperance at least.. even it the tools does make life easier :)

I totally agree Norway, i have been in this game for 20yrs, and have seen the changes from records to Cd's.. i have to admit i was one of thosehow still liked the feel of vinyl, but working in the computer industry soon changed that and knowing what you could do with CD's and for that matter music. I belonged to a Remix Company here in Australia, before computers & cd's for me to do a 7 min mix could take me a whole week.. now 2 hrs with all the latest digital equipment.. you dont hear complaints from these people about the change in technology do you.. The DJ's who say that laptop Dj's are wanna be DJ's should take a good look at themselves and don't judge a book by its cover without giving it a real go and benifit from the advantages of this technology... ie: NO MORE CD'S or RECORDS CASES TO CARRY AROUND :-)

Cheers
Kaoz

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 11:08 am
oliwynnPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I've been playing off a laptop for 2 or 3 years now, after learning how to beatmatch and dj "properly" on vinyl. I do miss the feel of vinyl and digging through my crate, but there is so much my laptop can do that I couldnt do on vinyl. With Virtual Dj being able to beatmatch for me its left me to be more creative with my sets and allow me to remix things using cue points and loops. Ive looked at using Ableton live as a dj tool but to be honest it feels like your playing from a studio and it doesnt really feel like your in touch with the song. With VDJ I use a midi controll so im not using the keys on the laptop to control the music. I recently played at the Y-not festival in the Uk with my laptop and it went down a treat. Some people were complaining that I was using a laptop at first but afterwards I had 900 people chanting my name wanting one more tune. As long as sound comes out that makes you feel good and want to have a party I see no problem. If all the big guys support it, Pete Tong, Sasha, Paul Van Dyk, to name a few, then there really shouldn't b any question of whether it is real djing or not. Personally I've never used cdjs and never seen the point. They are quite expensive for a poor student like me so having software for download at about £200 and a midi controller worth about the same is much better for me. (i have the laptop for work lol) Getting Digital format songs on beatport and other downloading sites for about £2 a go is better than spending £5 or £6 on a rare piece of vinyl that you could scratch if your girlfriend has a go on your turntables. If you think a laptop and midi controller looks boring, colour it in with bright colours to make it look a bit interesting and a bit rave. Thats what i Did for this UV party i played at.

When it comes down to it, as long as there is sound coming out of the speakers that people wanna dance to then there is no problem. Its when you play a crap set on a laptop, then you'll be slammed for it.

Just my thoughts on the matter, I prefer using the laptop but its whatever you feel comfortable using. If can sound like tiesto using tape decks then go for it!!!

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 11:35 am
ryankmPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Using a computer as dj tool is just a sign of the times. In order for electronic artists to continually progress towards perfection, computers are essential. To not use the tecnnology that is so readily available would be a tradgedy. Either you harness the possibilities or not, It's the individuals' choice. Don't get left behind.

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 4:14 pm
Sign of the times you can probably tell by the amount of registered users on this site and other dj software sites and think only 25% "rough average" of people register there products. thats alot of people in this digital erra.
but the new skool "digital" and old skool (typo on purpose)"physical hardware" are combined wich empowers the allmost limitless possabilities inside traditional equipment.
with the growing WiFi hotspots, or growing numbers for unsecured routers that have internet connection
"AKA wardriving totally legal where i live :) "
finding music that was requested that you didn't have can be purchased and dowloaded instantly on the job
"eliminates that 1 person that complains the whole night about the dj not having something, usually a drunk person that gets outa hand"
and still keep the DJ roots by using tables or cd's at the same time.

i could write a review on this, but we all already know what this kick a** software can do, and how much it saves our backs on lifting, and making our life easier.

Happy & Loyal to VDJ customer,
Jeremy

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 5:43 pm
ryankmPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Well said Jeremy, well said

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 6:45 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
As with all things, DJing is evolving with the advance of technology. I do not miss the days of carrying in 15 large wooden crates of records to do a show. As AMaHM wrote, ask if they use a PC for anything else. Even ignition systems in cars are computerized today, to NOT take advantage of this is stupid.

I have had to correct many a DJ who worked for me about sitting down and staring at the monitor while working an event. STAND UP!! Look like your earning your money, that is a perception I have noticed more than once in the last 25 years. Move around a little, look like your having a good time. DJs are there to lead the party in many ways, so smile and lead.

The theory of these so called "purists" was repeated when airplanes were new "If God had meant man to fly he would have given us wings". Much like those people were wrong then, the "purists" are wrong now. Their LPs are getting more and more difficult to come buy. Their loads are not getting easier to move around. And their technology has not really advanced terribly much in the past 20 years. I have been told by many that in the 50s the person who was fastest at putting a new 45 on was a good DJ. Where are those people now?

Sure, I find it cool that I can walk up to some turn tables and throw down a mix. It is fun to watch the looks on the faces of these "purist" when I walk back over to my digital system and perform the same thing, and work half as hard as they do. It is fear, fear of not being needed anymore that fuels their fires. But our skills as a DJ are always going to be essentially the same. Read the room, know your music, and interact with the crowd in one form or another. Do the job, and have fun. Everything else is a matter of personal taste.

That is just my opinion, I could be wrong, I am just a caveman.

TearEmUp

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 6:53 pm

Someone clever at this forum said something in the line that it doesnt matter how the carpenter put up the nice wall, hammer or nail gun. Its not the tools that matter, but the final result. What makes the dancefloor happy... Most could care less if it was a CD mix, vinyl mix or software dj mix.

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 7:29 pm
The only thing I hate is when people look over the booth to see what song I'm going to play next... I usually put some dumb song which is the opposite of what they requested. Then I switch to what was planned..

The pros and cons of taking request. People think since I can load a song in the mix in seconds and that I'm actually having fun. They can dictate what I'm doing.

Mensajes Tue 04 Sep 07 @ 7:54 pm
I love dj'ing since I switched to computer.

I learned on cd players - pioneer cmx 3000's to be exact. I liked them a lot, But I ahted them if my cd was scratched and I didn;t notice it - dead stop, or if the lasers wore out and the cd didn;t read.

Point of the story.

Switching to COmputer didn't make me a better DJ........

It made me a faster, more accurate DJ.

Instant song searching, fast loading, one button loops, all the tools to mix fast, and accuratly.

I don't miss cdj's and don;t ever plan on using them ever again.

Mensajes Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 12:30 am
Your are absolutely correct. If you have ever seen Donald Glaude play you will understand this statement. As a DJ technically he is good but what makes his DJ performance is the way he moves and interacts with the crowd. DJing is not just about the music its about putting on a performance. If it was just about the music we might as well all stop doing what we do and let the clubs put in iPods. There are three important aspects to DJing, One is the music, two is the technical mixing of the music and three is the interacting with the crowd. Until you get all three you never a awesome dj. I hate watching DJ sit in front of there computer scree standing still.

Voltron wrote :
Sometimes we are too focused about what "dj" need and we don'tcare about what people want to listen , to see ,to dance and what they think about technology and the actual situation in dancefloor.
For curiosity i asked to some people what they think about dj that use computer.
As result, very very few of them consider it like a good thing. Maybe it's an old way to think....
i post here some opinions..
"Controllers have to be as big possible, better if they are made by iron and stone"
"U needn't to watch the song..u need only to feel it"
"You should to be able to use "cue" function like a drum machine (latency 0)"
"You should put something inside a box..The music...music written in a phisical support..music that u choose manually from ur recordcase"
"People want to see "The dj" browsin with hands, listenin something with headphone, touchin something big (round shaped) and resistent similar to tables and pressing some buttons..."Without" look into a computer screen. U have to watch people in front of u and transmit them positive energy"
"if u move ur body just a little you can enter more in sintony with public"

Question: Give me a synonim of "Computer Dj", or the first thing that pass into ur mind when u hear it:

Answers: "easier job", "illegal", "Mp3", "wannabe a dj", "automatic things ", "static", "the end of a chapter", "cd burner", "piracy" , "P2P"

...Post ur point of view...

Mensajes Wed 05 Sep 07 @ 3:51 am
Joop3mPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Used to be a radio dj/technician..... it all started since the introduction of the minidisc..... cut 'n paste like a grownup he he...

Many years and MANY gigs later got tired of dragging all the cd-junk to a gig, leaving no space for pleasure.... The utmost advantage is the skill of categorizing the songs that make people happy....

As earlier said: It's easy to find a warm body that can press play on a CD player/ etc.... but it's pretty hard to find someone who can read a crowd,spot fights,work the mic, take requests(or not) all while mixing music to keep a dance floor full.

With the introduction of dj-ing by wire, i.e. with my laptop, it's getting better every gig ! no more dragging, always the same quality of music without scratches, bad cd-players.....

Virtual DJ: "we are not worthy !!!!" working is pleasure again ! For three years now !

Mensajes Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 12:43 am
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
I'd say: "I'm making £500 tonight mate, how much are you making?"

After that I'd tell them to go away and learn the English language, because those quotes insulted it.

Mensajes Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 1:00 am

i like that .... Bagpuss launches a stinging salvo ........

i like to think that i always learned and tried to keep moving forward , and of course when i first started out and with cd's , just keep moving and learning ...... if you don't enjoy the process , maybe yer in the wrong line of work ....

but at some point i " went digital" don't tell dad , and i remember at one point using music match jukebox plus winamp plus a denon s5000 ?? fortunately it got better and turned into a bit of a integrated system ...........

it wasn't until i got my first pro ( expensive ) software that i discovered how much of the repetitive (non creative ) stuff you can make the software remember and do for you , so that you don't have to keep reinventing the wheel everytime out ........

plus it's beyond a doubt that finding and then instantly launching music and video plus music and video samples is way way faster digitally .........

Mensajes Sat 08 Sep 07 @ 1:24 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)