Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Has anyone tried to Partition a Dell?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I am trying to partition my drive on my Dell, but I am having problems. I know I should not have got one, but I am stuck with it. When I try to partition my hard drive so that I can dual boot Vista it wont let me. There are 4 drives already set to primary and I have not a clue what the other partitions are or what one I can delete. Ii have been pulling my hair out now for months trying to get this stupid think to play video correctly. Any info would be great, thanks.

DJ Jimmy J

Mensajes Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 4:37 pm
PionaraPRO InfinityMember since 2004
You could always try the disk management feature...(Vista) 'start' menu>right click on computer>manage>disc management to have a closer look at the partitions and see what ones you'd be willing to delete. then i suppose you'd be free to re-partition as you saw fit.

I've never been there with a dell, but i've done a bit of work partitioning drives. There's also software you can get to do it, as i'm not sure the native windows software is the best, although it did work fine for me (albeit on an xp desktop). PartitionMagic is one i'm sure.

I'm sure there'll be some other opinions flying about the boards though...:o)

Good luck...(",)

P

Mensajes Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 6:56 pm
Well, I do have partition magic, but it says it can only have 4 primary partitions, that is why I am trying to figure this thing out. I will try that thanks..

Mensajes Tue 11 Mar 08 @ 7:50 pm
You can do this with a Fresh OS install. I don't believe you can change the specs of the drive due to the system restore feature that Dell has on the drive.
I personally just did a Vista install on an HP that had 2 partitions 1 was c the other was recovery and all went smoothly.

Last week did a fresh XP install on a Dell that also had the same above setup.

If you dont believe you need the Dell system restore there is a process that is running that prevents any changes to the recovery drive. I have heard that you can find that process, disable it, then u are able to delete that partition which may or may not allow you to re format the remaing and create new partitions.

Mensajes Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 4:20 pm
Currently it has 4
1 - Dell Utilities
2 - c drive
3 - Dell Media Direct
4 - recovery

I am ready to just put Vista on it for good and see what happens.

Mensajes Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 4:42 pm
Do u know how to install the Upgrade as a Full clean Version?? If not I can help and this will also allow you to delete these other partitions.

Mensajes Thu 13 Mar 08 @ 9:23 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
You can only have 4 primary partitions. You can however create an extended partition, then create a number of logical partitions within the extended partition.

The utilities partition contains diagnostic utilities, Dell Media Direct is a cutdown version of windows that runs when you press the "Home" button next to the power button and the recovery partition is one that allows you to reimage your system to factory supplied setup.

So, you could resize your C drive to create free space, then create an extended partition in this space... personally I would pick the OS you want to run, and stick with that ;)

Regards,

Scott

Mensajes Fri 14 Mar 08 @ 5:17 am
chibieCUE userMember since 2007
personally I would pick the OS you want to run, and stick with that ;)

Good advice...

Mensajes Fri 14 Mar 08 @ 6:51 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)