Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: What's *your* crash frequency - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I've been using Virtual DJ since mid december,.. not very long I guess. My first two VDJ crashes were unfortunately during a live performance at a big party. Imediately after the crash I got to experience the not-so-nice feeling of a packed dance floor looking at me in silence and wondering wtf just happened. This wasn't a very good feeling indeed. Then, last night, the same thing happened. Luckily I was just in my home office practicing my chops. All of a sudden, poof. VDJ was gone. Nothing on the screen. Silence. No error message or anything. I started it back up and went back to practicing.

It might be also interesting to note that all 3 crashes so far occured while I was backspining my Hercules jog wheel to find my cure point. I also TRIED to reproduce the crash with a session of heavy backspining but no luck. VDJ was solid from that point in the night.

So that's what this thread is all about. Wondering what your crash pattern is, frequency, what you were doing, etc.

Mensajes Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 10:04 pm
Since the newest update....never

Mensajes Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 10:12 pm
azawakhHome userMember since 2004
Non since May 3 :)-

Longest gigs so far 11 and 7 hours

Mensajes Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 10:58 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
never since 2.05 ...

Mensajes Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 11:33 pm
Hmm. starting to think the crashes are just me. Everyone else seems stable. What are you guys using for controllers. I have the Hercules DJ Console but my XP10 are on their way. I thought upgrading to the full version would help but the last crash was while using the full version. So maybe when I get rid of the HDJC, and switch to XP10, the crashes will stop.

Mensajes Mon 10 Jan 05 @ 11:44 pm
Man-TkPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't think so ...I think your problem is in your OS

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 1:04 am
I never had that happen, at least in over a year, however I ALWAYS, and I mean ALWAYS, have a CD ready to go just in case. You never know...

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 1:40 am
Never since I use VDJ (december...)

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 2:07 am
apopsisdjPRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2003
No crash since 2.05, 6 days a week.

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 3:05 am
al0000PRO InfinityMember since 2004
no crash here...

been using VDJ for a few months now

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 3:15 am
Well I seriously doubt the problem is in my OS. This system is a very solid new Dell system that was wiped clean and a fresh OS install was done on it and all the latest Microsoft service packs were applied. Mind you, this system is a purpose built VDJ system. There are absolutely no other applications installed except VDJ and the Hercules drivers. This system doesn't go online, read emails or anything else. But it really looks like more people experience solid behavoir than not so maybe it is just me.

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 4:36 am
Maybe we should also ask what type of system we are running. I have a Toshiba Satelite Laptop 2.6 GHZ 1 GIG RAM.

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 5:05 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
"all services packs were applied" Do you know all these packs and what they do? Don't think updates from Microsoft improves the power of your computer. The most time this is to protect your computer from an external hacking. So you add one by one this security and finally the power of your computer decreases. Logical if you need to control all the possible entries in your system.

Well, only to say, because everyone can't be an expert in computer science, me the first even i know some tips, Windows is to do everything. First don't use computer for Virtual DJ on the net if you can (as you do) because of spywares and virus, then verify the temperature of all your components (processor, memory, hard disk), sometimes it is the reason of a crash, then do "CTRL+ALT+SUPPR" and try to understand what it is useless, then verify the quality of your songs (where they come from, good encoding) and finally after that you will be sure that the problem comes from Virtual DJ.

To my opinion, your problem is more a lack of memory at this moment due to a strange behavior of windows (virtual memory or cache memory maybe) or something with your processor. Why? Otherwise crashguard would have worked. So it's more a kill of the processus by windows

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 5:17 am
Thanks for the advice djcel, but as I said before, this computer is a dedicated VDJ system. It is a Dell PowerEdge system with 628MB of fast ram (from Dell). I've been a technology consultant since 1990 and I am a Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer since the first year their MCSE program was created,... so I think I speak with a little authority here.

I understand why every patch applied through the Windows Update system is recommended by Microsoft, and listed as "critical". Yes, most of them are security updates (which I don't care about since my system does not run any other applications or go on the net), but some of the patches actually fix bugs which might cause crashes. If VDJ is not compatabile with some Microsoft service packs, then they should let us know so we don't apply them. I would be happy to format the hard drive and reload Windows and re-install VDJ if I thought it would help. But honestly, I don't think that installing all of the critical patches is the reason why VDJ has crashed on me 3 times.

Not sure why you think my computer is being used on the net, but it's not. I specifically said that this computer is dedicated as a DJ system and doesn't go on the Internet or do anything other than run VDJ. Just wanted to clear that up.

I know for certain that the temperature of the components is fine. These Dells are very well designed with plenty of fans and cooling know how. Not to mention that the system never once crashed in it's previous life. Not once.

And finally, I know the quality of ever single song in my 15,000 song collection because I ripped and encoded every single one. Not only that, but if the song were corrupt, then the crashes would be repeateable. They are not. I can load up a song that crashed VDJ and try to crash it again by doing the same thing and it won't crash.

I use the lame encoder by the way if anyone cares. It truly is the best sounding encoder available. It convinced me to switch from the blade encoder over 5 years ago and I've stuck with it ever since.

And I'm pretty sure that memory is not the problem either, as this system has more than 600MB of RAM and with VDJ being the only application running, it is using no where near that much. Oh yeah, not to mention, the last time I checked, VDJ memory requirements was not anywhere near 600MB.

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 7:49 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
Excuse me, i don't speak and write English very well as my first language is French and i understand your point of view. I'm just here to help you with my experience, i just want to find a solution to your problem ;-)
And I never said VDJ is not compatible with service packs from Microsoft as i have no problem for me with winxp sp2

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 8:05 am
Sounds like a stituation where it would be nice to have a VDJ event log!!

If there where one, using it in parallel with the Windows event viewer may help pinpoint the problem here.

Anewsome:- You say this is a new notebook which is dedicated to running VDJ. This would suggest that your system hasn't really ever been put under any pressure other than by VDJ. It may be worth installing another app that puts a burden on system resources over a substained period of time and see how your system reacts. (Maybe a benchmarking app as this would test different areas of your system and may expose a flaw in a specific area?)

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 10:05 am
yes we need a debug log to send to Atomix!

Facts:
I had a lot of crashing before getting 512MB
I also had a lot of crashing when scratching and using effects rapidly
I had more crashing with XP than Win2k

It has been behaving so far but I still carry my iPod ready to roll in the event it crashed

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 1:34 pm
Noithing for me since halloween...2.06 seems pretty solid i use xp pro sp2 640 ram p3 1.4ghz 4 nights a week
Andre

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 3:02 pm
PJayPRO InfinityMember since 2004
never crashed on me (windows sp2 1gb ram and p4)

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 5:38 pm
At first I had no controllers and also no crashes. Then I got the Hercules DJ controller. During this period I had some crashes. Then I bought the DVinyl controller. After a complete reinstall (to get rid of all the Hercules stuff) I had no crashes since.
So maybe the Hercules stuff is causing the crashes on my system.
Ewout

Mensajes Tue 11 Jan 05 @ 6:50 pm
63%