Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: A New Style Of Crashing - Page: 2

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ivarPRO InfinityMember since 2004
hello

i have just been trying to recreate the same bug as you but i can't
when i load a song on my left deck and push play and while it is still loading i can scratch or move my jogwheel on the right side as a maniac but it won't get stucked or skip.
same thing other way around; when a song is playing on the left side, i load a song on the right side and start to move my xp10 jogwheel straight away while the song is still loading but no skipping or whatever here.

ivar

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 10:46 am
The same thing has been happening to me. I am very wary of using it in the club i work in! Also sometimes a song will be playing and then it will just brake, without me touching anything. And when i try to find the bpm's to some of my songs it comes up with some ridiculous number! I only just got the program(VDJ 2.06)though. I'm sure there are alot more things i have to learn about it! Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks.. Billy Blitz..

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 11:40 am
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
I don't see it as a XP10 problem, though I can't be sure. I have less problems since getting my XP10's, but perhaps that is just because I also got an external mixer at the same time. Who knows?

But I've spent a couple days trying to get VDJ to crash and I couldn't do it. I piled on the effects, scratched while loading 45 minute mixes, etc...nothing. But then last night (after a fresh reboot, I should add) I loaded up a song and hit play as it was loading, then started to load the other deck and VDJ went into a deathspin. It locked on a 4 beat loop and wouldn't get out...didn't crash, but my cpu was pegged at 100% usage and VDJ was non-responsive. Both songs I was loading were under 10 minutes in length and no effects were in use. Should have been a very easy time for VDJ.

I just don't get it. My crashes appear to be random with no reason behind them. Not 2 days before, I had spent an hour TRYING to get it to crash and couldn't, then I load up 2 10 min songs and it blows up without me even touching anything? Odd, to say the least.

Atomix, can we get some bug reporting in the software? Maybe a dump log to send in to you to help fix this problem? Stability really needs to be priority one so this product can become mainstream for performance DJs.

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 6:49 pm
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
This is good info bargler!

These reports you're talking about, they were included in previous version (till ~ 1.05, or 6 if I recall right). Why were they removed? This crash infos should really be recorded especially now when we can't really tell what causes the problem.

Can someone from staff give some info about this please?

Regards

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 7:22 pm
The more I read the posts on this thread, the more I realize that a fix for this bug is probably hopeless and I should just quit harping on about it and get on with my life. I can wait for some stable software/hardware combination from another vendor, wait for Atomix to figure it out or give up on mp3 mixing all together and just get some pro CD decks. Getting pro CD decks is really not all that exciting for the same reason vinyl is not all that exciting. I like to carry a LOT of music. I have around 16,000 songs now and if I get serious about DJ'ing that will probably double. Juggling CDR's and constantly burning new disks and lugging them around with me is not a very enticing thought at all.

These posts that are claiming you can do just as well with a mouse as you can with an XP10, posts that are telling me my CPU is too hot and that's causing the crash, posts that tell me that if I just use the program a little differently, I can *probably* make it through a gig without a crash. The more I read these, the more I realize these people "just don't get it". I don't think anyone who posts that comment has ever experienced what it feels like when you are DJing, the program crashes and a club full of people are all looking at YOU, wondering WTF.

I remember the first couple times back in the 80's when our club was underpowered and ran the amplifiers at peak load and they would thermal and cut off, luckily there were many amplifiers for many speakers but the thermaled amp might knock out an entire dance floor or room within the club. Even though there might be a little music still going, or maybe only the subs dropped out, you still feel like a jackass since you were the one at the controls. Even back then in that situation, I demanded the club owner buy some real equipment or find a new DJ. Having your subs drop out or your chill-out room go silent for a moment is NOTHING compared to having your primary DJ system go poof during a performance.

Now granted, these crashes I am experiencing are probably not going to happen during a real gig simply because I would not be scratching a track for a full 60 seconds. But then on the other hand, I've have the crash happen bamm, right away - so who knows.

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 10:34 pm
the problem may have something to do with external control but that does NOT mean it's the controller's fault. it could simply be that vdj's handling of external controls is buggy. that's what i think it is because i see the posts here mentioning problems with various controllers, and i can fit another piece of the puzzle by telling you i used to use tccd with the same results. that was summer of '04. back then i was convinced it had to do with my firewire 1814 interface but after reading this, maybe i should have kept it for other purposes.

boatloads of features are nice, but not being able to trust your gear is just not an option. now i use my xp10s with bison only. it does everything i expect a pro player to do. it's stripped down and sometimes i wish it was bpm-aware, but i know how to mix and set loops in real time so it's not all that big a deal. i think there's a world of possibilities for the xp10, but bison is not exactly revolutionary technology. it just replaces crates and crates of discs and vinyl and it never crashes. it also looks and acts more professional than any other software i've seen.

Mensajes Wed 26 Jan 05 @ 11:52 pm
Well after firing up Bison for the first time, after using VDJ for a month, I'll have to say I wasn't too impressed. The only two things I would really miss would be the BPM engine (even if it's wrong most of the time) and the overlapping waveform windows. Those two features alone have made my mixes so much more possible since I am not the best beatmatch by ear guy. But honestly, I would trade a couple features for stability all day long. Maybe it's time I trade in the feature packed but unstable VDJ and sharpen my chops and learn how to beatmatch with Bison, the software that is unaware of BPM.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 12:09 am
I will say however that one weird thing that is KNOWN to make electronics crash is cellphones. I know it sounds crazy that a cell phone can crash your computer but back when I had Nextel I could put it next to all kinds of equipment and make it freak out or crash gas pumps, mp3 players, tvs, computers, monitors. And somehow yet it's safe to put this thing next to my brain and talk for 40 minutes a day. Hmmph, go figure.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 1:12 am
Dude(we get it dont worry) i have experienced crashes at work with the club full........So if you dont think its possible think again....by the way the heat issue and working around the problems wasn't a joke it was advice we are trying to help you determine what causes your computer to crash.
I started with vdj August 1st and by halloween my problems were solved...
I always have a cd player cued up in case.
I have had nothing since 2,06 not one smiley or a crash and this with a p3(hope you feel better now)
Andre

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 7:32 am
Im sorry but this is really bugging me anewsome if you do actually do a gig and the program crashes well punch in a cd and reboot.
I remember when mixing with records these things happened:
the record skips
the needle pop out while scratching
All of a sudden the sound is terrible because of dust on the needle
And then there was the cd:
The thing just stops no warning nothing(fingerprints,grease.dust)
Error.....how many time did we see this on a player?
Some tracks on cds with a lot of usage just dont buffer anymore
And now Mp3-4
Configuration
Hardware
Knowledge
Evolution is quite obvious...to ere is human
Best regards and no offense
Andre

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 8:16 am
erxonPRO InfinityMember since 2003
No offence anewsome, but with "as good as XP10" I ment that mouse is suitable for basic mixing and scratching (not very ergonomic though...). I'm not saying I'd be able to win a DMC contest with it ;) Well, hear it for yourself:

http://www.djerxon.com/sample.mp3 ((16 seconds / 264 kb))

Regards

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 9:55 am
Andre, I guess you're right. Equipment failure can come in many forms, not just VDJ crashing. I am however trying to minimize my opportunity for failure. I am even considering using high-end server type hardware instead of a laptop. This is so I can use hot-swap hard drives, power supplies, etc.

And believe me, I will never DJ a set with VDJ again without having my IPOD or a CD cued and ready to rock. I chose my mixer based on the fact that it had a third line in on it.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 6:18 pm
erxon, I listened to your scratch. you're right, that's pretty damn good for using a mouse.

Mensajes Thu 27 Jan 05 @ 6:23 pm
I just thought of something. I didn't even follow my own advice about making sure that you have at 1GB of RAM before doing any serious scratching. So now I am reinstalling VDJ on my laptop that does have 1GB, but unfortunately the processor is only 1.60Ghz so it takes a little longer to load up songs. But at least I will be able to test whether or not I get any of these new styles of crashing.

In a side note, trying to keep up with WirelessDJ, I ordered a new laptop this morning with 3.06Ghz processor and 1GB of RAM so we'll see how stable VDJ is on that bad boy. Once I have my new laptop then it's on, the plans for my XP10, Mixer, Laptop coffin will be complete within a coupla days. Then it'll be time to drape the garage with plastic and get to cutting wood.

Mensajes Fri 28 Jan 05 @ 9:32 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)