Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Pitch Sensitivity - visual effect only ?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi there,

regarding to the manual this function is only related to the waveform display:

Quote :

"5. Pitch Sensitivity – This is the time that it takes for the waveform display to become adjusted after you alter the pitch of the timecode signal. Too small of a value will attempt to redraw the waveform when you scratch the timecode, which is not recommended. Setting too high of a value will take longer to redraw the waveform, which may be visually confusing. Please experiment with a few different values to find the one best suited for your style."

So in other words it does not physically affect the pitch (handling, feeling) ?

Thank you !

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 1:22 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
That's a strange explanation. Where does it come from?

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 1:33 pm

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 1:40 pm
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
In fact, it's more in this way:

"pitch sensiivity = X ms" means that each X ms, the pitch is updated on the skin, also having for second consequence a compression/expansion of the waveform (as in VirtualDJ, the width of the waveform is automatically linked to the pitch)

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 2:10 pm
djcel wrote :
"pitch sensiivity = X ms" means that each X ms, the pitch is updated on the skin, also having for second consequence a compression/expansion of the waveform (as in VirtualDJ, the width of the waveform is automatically linked to the pitch)

Thanks DJ Cel.
But this means it is a visual effect on the screen only and i wouldn`t notice any difference how the pitch "feels" (handling), right ?

Mensajes Tue 02 Dec 08 @ 2:17 pm
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
djcel wrote :

The above statement is very true. That's why the fluctuating pitch is very obvious using TCV. Warped vinyl and the needle mechanical contact could be the cause of this problem but the question is how will the software rectify (in realtime) this kind of instances?

(as in VirtualDJ, the width of the waveform is automatically linked to the pitch)
meaning if the waveform is varying, likewise the pitch also...right?

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 1:15 am
arfurHome userMember since 2007
I think you're going to need a timecode source that is capable of driving the record at a constant rate....

I set pitch sensitivity to 1000, because i figure that VDJ changes it's measured pitch (you'll see the virtual pitch sliders next to the virtual deck move) only if the pitch has changed and is the new value remains constant after 1000ms.

If it wasn't constantly taking pitch from timecode speed without this filtering, when you spin the record to fast forward through sections while previewing, the pitch (pitch the deck is actually set to) would change too and that would be wrong. So too would pitch change dramatically when scratching etc.

now with a pitch update of 1000ms, thats pretty slow, makes it a little difficult to beatmatch using the deck pitch sliders only and keeping your hands off the vinyl.. In your case, a bent record, because it's revolving at 33.3 rpm (which is 1.801 seconds per revolution) in order for VDJ to no perceive your warble as a pitch change you would probably have to set the pitch sensitivity to around 2000ms. This is just a guess that you might get a consistent pitch reading after doing this, but it's difficult to tell as the record would be slowing down and speeding up at a more or less 50% duty cycle, so it would not be a short peaking or dipping of pitch that software could easily ignore as human intervention, as opposed to turntable drive.

And even if you did get a consistent pitch READING, if the warble was bad enough to hear before, you would still hear it after, exactly the same.

Basically I don't think you will get rid of this problem satisfactorily without buying new decks, or giving yours a service so that they can drive a record at a constant rate!

*EDIT*
Whoops, just read the thread back and looks like I answered a question that wasn't even there.

Back on topic then, there is a trade-off between faster pitch updates and better pitch stability. I basically tried a bunch of different setting, and the one I stuck with was the one whereby I could nudge or drag my vinyl, and the waveform appeared to respond smoothly, without jumping around. So perhaps mine isn't set to 1000ms after all, will check tonight.

Mensajes Wed 03 Dec 08 @ 3:04 am
Marph84PRO InfinityMember since 2006
Quote :

djcel wrote :

Thanks DJ Cel.
But this means it is a visual effect on the screen only and i wouldn`t notice any difference how the pitch "feels" (handling), right ?

Unfortunatelly I think this question has not been answered right now.

Ist there anyboby outside (maybe a teamer) who can answer this question for sure.

Would be very nice, because i'm also very interested in the answer.

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 2:07 am

djcel wrote :

Thanks DJ Cel.

Unfortunatelly I think this question has not been answered right now.

Ist there anyboby outside (maybe a teamer) who can answer this question for sure.

Would be very nice, because i'm also very interested in the answer.

The answer to the question must be YES - You wouldn't feel any difference in how the pitch feels (if 'feel' means closing your eyes and using your hands and ears only).

I am certain it MUST be this way, other wise scratching and other fast pitch changing operations would not work...

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 3:12 am
.. a purely visual thing then.

Mensajes Thu 04 Dec 08 @ 3:12 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)