Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: CUE/VDJ creating HIDDEN songs from valid DB songs

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Here's the scenario: two IDENTICAL laptops, two IDENTICAL external hard drives, two IDENTICAL mp3 libraries...all same manufacturers, part numbers, specs, etc - both with CUE 5.0.7 installed. Both loaded the exact same way. The ext. HD was recursed, tags scanned, and all files added to DB. All songs show up properly. Now on one laptop, when CUE is closed and reopened all the songs are still there and NONE are hidden. However, on the second laptop (which is IDENTICAL!) when CUE is closed and reopened I all-of-a-sudden have missing songs. CUE says xx songs are hidden!

I didn't hide the songs. I didn't load the songs from any other place than DB. CUE is doing this itself AFTER the songs are successfully added to the DB, pulled up through the search, and played (or not played). Once I close CUE - BAM! it hides my files in the DB! WTF!?!?!?

Now, I can fix this by adding the songs to the DB after starting CUE, HOWEVER it only fixes it for that instance of CUE, which means those songs that CUE hid on me can be found in the search as long as CUE is open, BUT as soon as I close CUE - BAM! they're hidden again, because the very next time I open CUE (whether it's in 10 seconds or in 10 days), CUE has hidden them again.

Why this happened on one laptop, but not the other when EVERYTHING IS IDENTICAL is beyond me.

The only thing that would fix this (temporarily so far) is to uninstall CUE (even the stuff it doesn't uninstall itself) and reinstall it. So far (a day) the problem hasn't come back.

Now, on some other threads here some people noted that some of their ID3 tags were messed up and when they fixed them this same problem disappeared. As far as I can tell my tags aren't messed up (seeing as how they were all tagged by the same program I'd expect all or none to be in this hidden problem, not just a small few). Although no one went into detail into how the tags were bad...

Basically, there's a HUGE error in CUE that's causing this and none of the CUE or VDJ employees will help us. Please not, I have not done ANYTHING that would validly place these songs into the hidden state.

Maybe the 10th thread on this same error will get some reaction from them. Any good help in how to properly solve this weird HIDDEN problem would be appreciated (so if it creeps up again I can try fixes). I do know a couple of songs that were getting HIDDEN so I can check the tags if anyone has any pointers.

At the very least can the VDJ/CUE gods PLEASE implement a feature that shows us (and allows us to save as a text file) the songs that are hidden. It's SO annoying to be told, "hey, we hid some songs, but we're not going to tell you which ones!"

Thanks!

Mensajes Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 4:39 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
jackbsok wrote :
Basically, there's a HUGE error in CUE that's causing this and none of the CUE or VDJ employees will help us. Please not, I have not done ANYTHING that would validly place these songs into the hidden state.

Well can't speak for the Numark staff ... but considering there are no tickets in our online Support ... a bit hard for US to help you...

So let's talk about what is a Hidden file ... a hidden file is a file that has a database entry but is not part of the search (the search flag isn't set) and we are not 'hiding' songs ... they just will not show as a search item if you try to do a search or use a filter folder (dynamic folder)

So why are the files not staying marked ... well that could be a permissions thing ... make sure your user computer user account has permissions to write to the file. If you are using Vista - turn off the UAC features as this can stop you from writing to the files as well.

So ... have you run the CLEAN and CHECK? You say you have run the FIX but have you run the others? FIX only validates the structure of the XML for the database ... CHECK validates the files exist ... CLEAN removes any entries that can not be validated as files exiting.

And maybe for the 10th+ time I have posted this ... people will have an understanding of what happens ... and it's explained in the manual as well - but then again Numark has never updated their manuals since the first 5.0 release.

Mensajes Sat 06 Dec 08 @ 5:28 pm
cstoll wrote :
So let's talk about what is a Hidden file ... a hidden file is a file that has a database entry but is not part of the search (the search flag isn't set) and we are not 'hiding' songs ... they just will not show as a search item if you try to do a search or use a filter folder (dynamic folder)

So why are the files not staying marked ... well that could be a permissions thing ... make sure your user computer user account has permissions to write to the file. If you are using Vista - turn off the UAC features as this can stop you from writing to the files as well.

So ... have you run the CLEAN and CHECK? You say you have run the FIX but have you run the others? FIX only validates the structure of the XML for the database ... CHECK validates the files exist ... CLEAN removes any entries that can not be validated as files exiting.

And maybe for the 10th+ time I have posted this ... people will have an understanding of what happens ... and it's explained in the manual as well - but then again Numark has never updated their manuals since the first 5.0 release.

I know what a Hidden file is and YOU ARE HIDING songs. What else do you call it when with a fresh install I add all songs to search database, all songs are searchable, then I close the program, reopen the program and all-of-a-sudden xx songs aren't searchable. How can they be searchable initially, but not searchable upon subsequent running of the program? And don't dare say I did anything! NOTHING was changed from the first time the files were searchable to the second time when they weren't searchable.

It seems to me, if a song isn't searchable it's Hidden, even you call it Hidden in your config box!

All files have permissions set correctly. You better not be writing to the song files...you probably are talking about the xml file. But even this guess at a solution is silly since all files are in one xml file and if one went south, they'd all go south if it was a permissions issue.

I did run FIX, CLEAN, & CHECK, which did nothing to fix the issue. Even after re-adding the Hidden songs and then running the FIX, CLEAN, & CHECK, it still didn't keep them unHidden.

And for the 10th time you've treated people like they don't know what they're doing, like they hid the songs, like your program didn't go in and hide these on the user. It's not a problem of me not understanding that what I'm doing is hiding the songs. It's a problem of your program randomly hiding songs for no good reason, then not even having the decency of telling us which songs are hidden. It's also a problem of not being able to keep the songs unHidden even after we re-add the songs to the DB.

When this happens again I'll go through your support ticket system since it's obvious you treat forum-only users like they don't know squat.

I'm not causing problems here, I'm just trying to find a solution to a hugely aggravating problem so I don't have to re-add all my songs every time I start the program just to make sure I'm not missing out on any Hidden songs in the search DB.

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 12:39 pm
Well I have explained how it works and what happens. There are obvious corruptions in you database files (XMLs) that are occurring.

Unfortunate you feel that the response was more than the same directness you originally posted. Coming in with guns a blazing and then not being satisfied with a direct answer I would say is a bit of a 'cause' of problems.

I don't have this issue, it's hard to pinpoint as to why you are ... if we can have a more calm conversation on it then you might find an answer to why it's happening.

I asked if you were using Vista and if you had turned off the UAC? Is this the case?

Btw ... did you upgrade from the CUE 4.3 to CUE 5.x ?
If so, go to the My Documents / Numark CUE folder and rename the VirtualDJ Database (your username).xml file to something different.

And you say you added songs from a fresh install ... does that mean you did not use any old database files and no external drives connected? Or if the drives where connected, you deleted the databases on the external before you connected them to the 'fresh install'?

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 1:14 pm
You never gave a solution to my problem. You only gave the typical canned response. That is why I was upset.

Yes on Vista, yes on UAC turned off.

No on the upgrade...it was a fresh 5.0.7 install.

On the fresh install I used an external HD, but deleted the DB before-hand, the re-added the songs, which made a new DB on the HD.
At that point it found all the songs (just like any time I re-added the songs), but when I closed and reopened the software I had hidden songs again. This time there were less hidden songs than before wiping the drive. I also deleted all my songs and reloaded all my songs at the same time as deleting the DB (in other words completely fresh).

The only thing that 'fixed' this was to uninstall the program, delete most of the files the uninstall leaves behind, and reinstall the program. Since then, I haven't had the hidden file problem again (yet).

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 1:55 pm
Ok, well I would recommend the 5.2.1 version available in the Download Center.

Second, when you uninstalled and wiped the remnants as well, you removed what could have been corrupting the database files. Which if you had the prior 4.x version and had upgraded to v5.x then the version 4.x database could have been still around in the Numark CUE (Both in My Documents and Program Files locations) folder. This has been know to create issues with the newer 5.x database files.

Also, I have seen where playlists that are accessed and have references to files that don't exist in the original location (moved do to re-organizing) have created 'false' entries in the database files - hence 'hidden' files. Btw, that issue has been sent to the Dev Team for being worked on.

So, now that things are clear ... happy mixing.

Mensajes Tue 09 Dec 08 @ 2:33 pm
cstoll,

Is there any chance of a standalone database scan/update/repair tool?

I would like to be able to scan all my music files on my externall HDD without firing up the laptop with VDJ installed on each time I rip a new album etc.

By having a standone program, the database could be kept in an optimal state ready to go whenever you need it. Plus you could even sort out some of the issues discussed here, such as database upgrade issues, hidden files, etc.

If there was a simple viewer then perhaps users could take a deep look at the database entries such as hidden tracks and update the database to correct.

The ability to manage virtual folders as well would be good as I have had instances of accidently dropping tunes in to folders which are a pain to correct during a gig...

The code obviously already exists, it just needs to be wrapped up as a support application...

Cheers,

Roy

Mensajes Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 8:29 am
I check, clean, and fix every time I import files, but for some reason i always get three "hidden" files. How do I find them and unhide them. I don't even know what files they are obvously.

Mensajes Wed 10 Dec 08 @ 7:43 pm
bryantpb wrote :
How do I find them and unhide them. I don't even know what files they are obvously.

THAT is the biggest problem with this...why they implemented a feature that counts the hidden songs, but doesn't show you which ones they are is beyond me.

Maybe they'll get wise and add that feature to the next update.

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 5:24 pm
jimmy bPRO InfinityMember since 2007

@jackbsok,

PM Chris (cstoll) I'm sure he will help you out. IMO he is the best teamer for DB related questions, he has helped me out a couple of times.

Mensajes Thu 11 Dec 08 @ 5:30 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)