Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: To Dual, or not to Dual...

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

That is the question.

So, I recently re-installed XP and I am trying to get my system back in shape. As I was flipping through BIOS and Dell Setup menus, I ran across a question that I couldn't find answered already.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron E1505 w/ 2GB of RAM and a Dual Core CPU. My question is this:

Should I run single core mode or dual core mode? This same question, a little more indepth would be: Does single core mode only run one core, or does it make both cores into one core, thus making it faster than any one individual core in dual core mode?

Thanks in advance!

Mensajes Sat 20 Dec 08 @ 8:04 am
anyone???

bueller?

Mensajes Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 7:12 am
Uhh stick with duo.

The other option turns one core off i think.

Mensajes Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 9:26 am
frd1963PRO InfinityMember since 2004
cobcobbs wrote :

Should I run single core mode or dual core mode?

I am not sure about single vs dual core, but I have experimented with VDJ running with and without hyperthreading, and I found that VDJ runs much better with hyperthreading enabled. This implies that VDJ was written multi-threaded which itself implies that it will take advantage of multiple cores as well.
So my educated guess is that you should leave it in dual-core mode.

I am curious to see some advice from someone with a multi-core system, who has done some experimenting, but there is my advice.

Mensajes Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 12:43 pm
hi, i would say that your single core mode would turn OFF one of the 2 cores for compatibility reasons.

but this is not needed in XP or vista as you can do this in task manager > processes > right click on program in question and > (vista) 'Set Affinity' option

on dual core you can set which core your program runs on

but i would leave virtualdj set to run on both cores

Mensajes Mon 22 Dec 08 @ 7:30 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
cobcobbs wrote :
Should I run single core mode or dual core mode? This same question, a little more indepth would be: Does single core mode only run one core, or does it make both cores into one core, thus making it faster than any one individual core in dual core mode?

That would be impossible ;)

I'm afraid as stated, it simply disables one core, thus making your PC run slower.

frd1963 wrote :
This implies that VDJ was written multi-threaded which itself implies that it will take advantage of multiple cores as well.

Correct, VDJ is multithreaded, and so are various plugins too.

If you have a multiple core system, leave both cores enabled. There is no real reason to disable a core, unless for compatibilty reasons - trying to load Mac OS X onto that Dell for example ;)

Mensajes Tue 23 Dec 08 @ 1:16 am
Cool.

Thanks everyone!

Oh, and happy Festivus!

Mensajes Tue 23 Dec 08 @ 6:12 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)