Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: PromoOnly DFF MP4s

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

kentePRO InfinityMember since 2007
I've been a PromoOnly DVD subscriber for a number of years and I've been content with ripping vobs and converting them to xVID avi's. Now PromoOnly is offering their DFF MP4 formatted DVDs and I've changed my subscription to receive them.
Windows Media Player version 11 won't play the visual part of the mp4's, Virtual VJ version 5.0 rev4 (I know it's old but I'll upgrade my system this summer when I get some time off from teaching public school music) has the mp4 codec set to General QuickTime audio decoder and doesn't recognize the file type at all... giving me an error message when I try to play a song. What are my easiest options for using these mp4 videos at this time. Is there a codec install that will solve my program? I'd like to be as minimally evasive to my system as possible until I get some time this summer to extensively upgrade everything when I've got more time to troubleshoot potential problems. I am constantly gigging on weekends and have very little time during the week to do any problem solving right now.
Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Earl

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 2:08 pm
Change Virtual DJ to use video decoder for mp4 files.

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 3:14 pm
I did that already... still doesn't work. Any other ideas?

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 3:31 pm
You can install a codec package such as this or this. The first link will make minimal changes to your system, the second package is more complete but breaks many licensing agreements.

After installing either one of these your videos should work in windows media player, then you can change virtual dj to use windows mediaplayer video decoder.

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 3:39 pm
I installed the package that was minimally evasive, rebooted my system and then confirmed that mp4s would load into WMPlayer and play correctly. Then I switched the VDJ mp4 codec to Windows MediaPlayer video decoder. When I tried to load an mp4 into one of the players VDJ thought for about 90 seconds and then loaded the file in, correctly constructing the audio waveform. It played, but all successive loads of an mp4 in either player only displayed the word error after the file name in the player window. Any ideas?
(The video card on this laptop is an NVIDIA GeForce Go 7600 with either 256 or 512 of dedicated memory. My laptop has an Intel core 2, not 4 as I previously stated processor. HP Model T5300 @ 1.73GHz. There is 2046 MB RAM)
I also noticed when I looped the one mp4 that would load after ninty seconds that the system had problems redrawing the video immediately. Can that be expected with H.264 in general? I know that was the case two years ago when I settled on xVid as my mpeg4 compression format while using a previous laptop because there wasn't any redraw pause when I looped that compression format on my system using VDJ.
Thanks in advance for any additional info and ideas on how to solve my problem!

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 5:24 pm
You could try updating to the latest version of Virtual DJ and seeing if the problem still exists with either the internal or Windows' decoders. As for Virtual DJ hesitating for about 90 seconds there are a few things I can think of. Set Virtual DJ's 48 kHz <=> 44 kHz interpolation (in the performance tab) to basic and turn off FFmpeg's post processing (the red FF icon when playing a video) if it's turned on.

Virtual DJ generally handles H.264 well and I don't think there are any redraw problems although I would imagine this depends on the complexity of the file you're decoding. I haven't seen a Promo Only MP4 file yet so can't comment beyond that.

Mensajes Sat 09 May 09 @ 5:37 pm
I already had the 48 kHz <=> 44 kHz interpolation set to basic and I have no idea what the "FFmpeg's post processing (the red FF icon when playing a video)" is? I've looked for it but can't find it. Can you explain it a little bit further so I can figure it out?

Otherwise I guess I will have to upgrade soon because... if I can't get it to work I'm going to need to change my Promo Only subscription back to the standard DVD-vob format before their next month's set of songs gets sent out.

I'm assuming that if I rename my VDJ exe file to 5.0ver4 I will retain all it's functionality including playlists and history, right? Will the playlists and history in the updated version start from now or will it retain what I've created in 5.0ver4?

If anyone has any further ideas on getting mp4 videos to work on VDJ5.0ver4 I'd appreciate your input. I'd rather wait till this summer or until version 6 gets released before I upgrade if possible.
Thanks!

Mensajes Sun 10 May 09 @ 10:26 am
I'm not using that shark codec pack so I'm not sure where the option is, however, when you play one of these mp4 videos (in windows media player for example), there should be a red icon appear where the system clock is. Right click on that and untick post processing (if it's enabled).

If this wasn't the case, maybe Virtual DJ has trouble with these promo only videos; it's certainly possible as the internal video decoder did not work.

You're correct about renaming the Virtual DJ exe file. I don't think there are any structure differences between 5.0.4 and 5.2.1 so you can use either executable depending on which version you wish to run.

Mensajes Sun 10 May 09 @ 10:34 am
J-SnipPRO InfinityMember since 2006
some items MIGHT change because, as I learned, VDJ uses only 1 registry (you will not have 2 registry's for the old and new version).

Mensajes Sun 10 May 09 @ 2:12 pm
xotis99PRO SubscriberMember since 2007
PCDJ plays them all just fine. I was told by Promo Only that you have to upgrade to to 5.06 at least for VDJ to read them ok.

Mensajes Mon 11 May 09 @ 2:20 pm
I'm having loads of video related problems.. one is the playback of mp4's: The audio is fine, but the video stutters and all i get is a still frame every 10 seconds or so. it's also inconsistent.. one day they play just fine, the next they don't. it seems that vob, mg, vix all play w/o this problem. If the videos are in autoplay it always stutters the audio for the first few seconds of each song regardless of format. It stutters inconsistently with karaoke sometimes too.

My PC has:
2.4 ghz core 2 processor
4 gigs 800mhz ddr2 corsair ram
windows vista home premium 32bit
nvidia gforce 9400 512

I am replacing the video card for the second time in a month.. i hate nvidia cards and i'm moving up to an ATI hd4550 later this week.

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 5:17 pm
i'm also using the latest VDJ and all drivers are up to date

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 5:18 pm
CMBDJPRO InfinityMember since 2007
I would love to use the dff from promo only, but from what I've heard from subscribers that have VDJ, VDJ does not pick up the tag information in the files. Saving me all that hassle would be the only reason for me to go that route. Otherwise, I'll continue to rip to VOB and tag my info.

Mensajes Thu 21 May 09 @ 11:06 pm
I just updated to VDJ 5.2.1Pro without a hitch and Promo Only DFFs work now but I'm having the same stuttering issues that others are reporting and that I had two years ago when I first tried to use mp4s. (I gave up on them then) I don't seem to have a problem when I'm playing an mp4 in one of the players by itself. The video stuttering starts when I start another one in the second player as I prepare to mix. Is this a Virtual DJ incompatability issue or my Intel core 2 duo not being fast enough to handle uncompressing and playing back the mp4 format?

As far as reading tags Promo Only's site says that it should work "provided your DJ/VJ software can read ID3 tags from MPEG-2, or Atoms from MPEG-4" Does VDJ read Atoms?

Mensajes Sun 24 May 09 @ 7:54 am
DJ Mad Maxx wrote :
I'm having loads of video related problems.. one is the playback of mp4's: The audio is fine, but the video stutters and all i get is a still frame every 10 seconds or so. it's also inconsistent.. one day they play just fine, the next they don't. it seems that vob, mg, vix all play w/o this problem. If the videos are in autoplay it always stutters the audio for the first few seconds of each song regardless of format. It stutters inconsistently with karaoke sometimes too.

My PC has:
2.4 ghz core 2 processor
4 gigs 800mhz ddr2 corsair ram
windows vista home premium 32bit
nvidia gforce 9400 512

I am replacing the video card for the second time in a month.. i hate nvidia cards and i'm moving up to an ATI hd4550 later this week.

I replaced my video card and so far it's much better.. I got a 2 gig ATI HD4550 card

Mensajes Wed 27 May 09 @ 3:23 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)