Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: transition claps

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

i've been using vdj for a long time now. i've been working really hard to get my transitions as flawless as posible. but most of the times, when i trasit from one song to another, i get some verry anoying claps, like the songs are not beatmached properlly or something. even though i'm preety sure that the beats are overlapping quite acurately. what can i do? i generally like to mix trance , club house and tons of progressive. are there some special receipies for these kinds of music? do i have to use some special filters, or what?.....
please reply, i't would definately help my life. thanx.

Mensajes Fri 18 Mar 05 @ 1:10 pm
lucstefPRO InfinityMember since 2005
From the lowness of my experience :-) if you zoom in the waveform window, you'll see that the drums peaks aren't perfectly matched...even very very small gaps will lead to that effect.
Just take note that the small beat squares aren't always aligned with the drum beats, this is if you are trying to match the squares instead of the waveform.

Next, try to avoid beatmatching the drums, it's not always a good idea; use the equalizer crossfader to remove the bass from one song (the best choice is to remove bass from the exiting song), then you'll hear a much better sound.

Last but not least, read the topics from this forum, lots of informations here ;-)

Luca

Mensajes Fri 18 Mar 05 @ 4:38 pm
BarglerPRO InfinityMember since 2004
My guess is that you are relying on VDJ to beatmatch for you, either with the sync or beatlock commands.

As I understand it:
Sync: VDJ does a bpm reading sort of on the fly and tries to align the beats without regard to the grid below the waveform.
beatlock: VDJ aligns the grid (blocks) at the bottom without any intelligent process to decide if that is correct or not.

Both have their weaknesses. With sync, you are relying on VDJ to basically take a guess as to what beats should be aligned. I find it is often off a slight bit.
With beatlock, if the songs are not properly aligned, it is your fault. VDJ is just matching up the grid at the bottom. VDJ will put the grid down when it analyzes the song, but again...you are at the mercy of VDJ's BPM engine.

Edit the grid at the bottom for your songs, and make sure they are perfect and I think beatlock will do you well. Personally, I do it mostly by ear without beatlock or sync, even purposefully pulling them slightly out of beat to avoid the phasing you described.

Mensajes Mon 21 Mar 05 @ 10:06 pm
no ofcourse i dont rely on vdj's beat-engine to do my sincking. i constantly tweak the wafeform of my two tracks . but sometimes even after much care it stilll isn't flawless. (maybe i expect to much from me :))). but i think i found something. i started to study farmonic mixing and i realised tha if the two songs are hamonicaly corect, those clapsthat i was talking about will fade dramaticaly. (by th way i recommand harmonic mixing to everybody. you cant go wrong with it). but still maybe i whant to get it right just as oaky or diggers does only with a keyboard and a mouse witch is preety unlikely. but tanks for answering my post guys.

Mensajes Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 1:48 pm
dont make fun of my english. i was in a great hurry to write that post so no coments please :)).

Mensajes Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 1:51 pm
you need to REMOVE or LOWER the bass (or even more frequencies using EQ) from one of the songs when beatmixing..

to slamming bass drums on top of each other will almost never sound good ( will give "claps" or even "flanger-ish" sound)

Mensajes Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 3:13 pm
You can remove the bass of one of the songs or have one of the sounds slightly ahead of the other is another good trick to remove the "claps".

MS

Mensajes Wed 23 Mar 05 @ 6:50 pm
ykonHome userMember since 2004
I had the same problem , the songs were perfectly matched but I kept hearing claps. The problem is the master tempo routine (time stretch) of Virtual DJ which is poor.Try disabling time stretch .

Mensajes Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 2:31 pm
Thanx Ykon. That really hit the spot . It really sounds wiked now. Wow man U realy helped my life. Really apreciate it. 10x again. Peace and Happy Mixing

Mensajes Wed 06 Apr 05 @ 3:49 pm
ykonHome userMember since 2004
You are welcome.Now we expect an improved time streching engine from the developers team.

Mensajes Sat 09 Apr 05 @ 3:53 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)