Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: really wanting answers to some options.. - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hey every one, I just want to know what a few things mean in VDJ that no one seems to know or simply I’m getting ignored.

I’ve sent requests to Numark, as well asked in the Numark support forum and no answers. I’ve even called Numark support a few and was on hold for 20 minutes. At long distance charges, I cannot be on hold forever.

I just want to know the following:

What does the ultra latency check box do found in system setup?

If I set my latency to 1024 in the performance tab, should my sound card match it? (I have a sound card control panel)

Safe mode? Over clock? Under what circumstances should be these be enabled or disabled?

The reason I ask is because during shows I experience weird skips and sometimes the music stops. This is very random but also very annoying and embarrassing.

With these options checked or unchecked, the system behaves the same for the time being, but I’m trying to find my optimal setup so I don’t have these random hick ups.

I have a Dual core laptop
3 gigs of ram
2 numark icdx'
1 numark DJ IO
all running on Cue 5.2.1

thanks.

Mensajes Tue 19 May 09 @ 10:10 pm
SBDJPRO Infinity Member since 2006
First off, I would recommend you read the manual. It should be on your PC, but they are all available online too. You have the tools to help yourself :)

http://www.virtualdj.com/wiki/PDFManuals.html

So from the manual:

Quote :
Ultra-latency ASIO – There is two ASIO engines available for VirtualDJ to provide better latency support. Checked is the original ASIO engine that is optimized for very low latency (renamed ultra-latency) and is still considered the default engine. Some computers have problems with this optimization. Unchecked is the NEW 'safer' performance level ASIO engine which has less optimization for environments that have difficulty with the Ultra-Latency engine.

Quote :
Latency – the amount of time it takes for a device to respond to a command. Latency makes a significant difference when using timecoded vinyl, CDs, MIDI or external control devices. The lower the latency setting the more instantly the software will respond, but the more likely the DJ will hear glitches and pops if your computer is not fast enough to process the audio.
NOTE: in ASIO mode, some soundcard drivers don’t work well with a latency forced by the software. In such case, use the “Auto” value, and set the latency in the soundcard’s control panel.

Quote :
Safe Mode – When using a DirectX mode setting (like Simple, Dual, Mono or 4.1), VirtualDJ is less likely to produce glitches and pops if your CPU is momentarily busy. The performance trade off is scratching and pitch adjustments will use more CPU, especially with advanced algorithms. So, if using advanced Master Tempo this will probably need to be disabled, unless the computer is very fast.
NOTE: this option has no effect on ASIO or Low-Latency modes

Quote :
Overclock – This setting can make your computer run faster (especially on laptops) and therefore be compatible with lower latencies.

I hope that helps.

Personally, if using ASIO I would set latency to Auto, safe mode and overclock off and control the latency using your soundcards control instead.

Your problems are likely to be either your configuration in VDJ, or a driver/system problem on your PC. The most common test to see if your PC is up to the job is to run a program called DPC latency checker and see how that looks - post a screenshot of it if you want some help interpreting the results.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 7:05 am
Hey SBDJ,

Thanks for your answer.

Ive checked the manual, and it dosent answer everything, it just gives definitions. But i will try what you suggested.

I have ran DPC checker, and got the green bars to come down to a low. (this was done from a few months ago)

Just one last thing, in regards to the ultra low latency, how do i know which option is better, as checekd or unchecked it behaves the same for the time being. As i mentioned though, i get random spikes and music stops, and in the past this option was checked. Im going to try it unchecked, but i hope i dont go into a wall.

thanks again

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 7:28 am
There is no defined circumstance under which you should use an option - it's a case testing what works best for your particular system.

Since you're using ASIO then you can completely ignore latency (make sure it is set it to Auto) and Safe Mode anyway, leaving only ultralatency and overclock. I can't remember what my ultralatency is set to, but I personally have overclock disabled.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 9:12 am
the over clock says it makes the computer run faster. im going to try it disabled and to see what results i get.

now my setup has over clock and safe mode unchecked and set on auto. ultra latency unchecked under sound setup and my sound card on 512 ms.

i got a show this friday and i hope it dosent randomly stop or act up. as once it does i get so scared and refuse to mix. i just fade in fade out.as everything works then it just acts up then shuta down. a reboot seems to fix this. in other cases ive done a few shows successfully without issues.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 10:32 am
You should be testing your system extensively to make sure it works before attempting to work live with it. Do you disable all unneeded hardware whilst DJ'ing - network connections, onboard sound, bluetooth and so on?

You'll need to replicate it in an environment where we can troubleshoot effectively - leaving testing until you get to perform is no good at all.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 11:25 am
i use it at home for a number of hours before going live. with the same setup it messes up live. it never never happens at home. maybe its just the software acting up and nothing can be done about it.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 1:17 pm
Something must be different then. Power issue?

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 2:34 pm
possibly. im looking at all scenerios. im gonna try powering my sound card on friday using power opposed to just usb.

either way thanks for all Ur help bro. uve been a big help

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 2:47 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
djfluke1 wrote :
i use it at home for a number of hours before going live. with the same setup it messes up live. it never never happens at home. maybe its just the software acting up and nothing can be done about it.

Just curious if you're using your system for longer during a gig than at home?

This might seem a bit obvious but I assume you've disabled all scheduled background tasks (virus scans, disk defrags, etc) that might be hitting your drive during a gig?

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 3:21 pm
um i do use it for longer at a gig. i have disabled everything and if it was a virus im not online so i dont think thats related. ive even reformated. i think its these setting with latency.

the vdj material can be documented better. for exemple it says some sound card drivers dont work well when u specify the latency and it should be set to auto and to use the sound card control panel. it wouldnt hurt them to put a list of what sound cards they are refering too.

also when using asio if some options shouldnt be enabled why dont they make it by default to get em unchecked when selected.

like the overclock option i still have no idea what it does. book says makes my computer run faster....in relation to what?

very vague if u ask me.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 3:38 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
djfluke1 wrote :
um i do use it for longer at a gig. i have disabled everything and if it was a virus im not online so i dont think thats related. ive even reformated. i think its these setting with latency.

the vdj material can be documented better. for exemple it says some sound card drivers dont work well when u specify the latency and it should be set to auto and to use the sound card control panel. it wouldnt hurt them to put a list of what sound cards they are refering too.

also when using asio if some options shouldnt be enabled why dont they make it by default to get em unchecked when selected.

like the overclock option i still have no idea what it does. book says makes my computer run faster....in relation to what?

very vague if u ask me.

You get me a list of every sound card that exists in the world and I will give you a list .... the point of that paragraph is simple ... USE AUTO. It's all through the forums ... You should only use AUTO, if you use any other setting then you need should understand how soundcards work in Windows.

As for UNCHECKING things with ASIO, if you read the manual - it says the settings are IGNORED; so it doesn't matter if they are checked or unchecked.

And from a post in the General Forum ...
http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/106954/General_Discussion/Safe_Mode_detailed_explanation.html?page=1

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 6:42 pm
djfluke1 wrote :
the over clock says it makes the computer run faster. im going to try it disabled and to see what results i get.

now my setup has over clock and safe mode unchecked and set on auto. ultra latency unchecked under sound setup and my sound card on 512 ms.

i got a show this friday and i hope it dosent randomly stop or act up. as once it does i get so scared and refuse to mix. i just fade in fade out.as everything works then it just acts up then shuta down. a reboot seems to fix this. in other cases ive done a few shows successfully without issues.

You still have the settings wrong ...

Performance tab ...
Slider all the way to the left.
Latency drop down to AUTO
Overclock - Unchecked
SafeMode - Unchecked

Soundcard tab ..
UltraLatency - CHECKED

What brand of laptop are you using ?

It sounds like its a DELL Inspiron ... which out-of-the-box without VirtualDJ has Latency issues because of bad drivers for some of their hardware ... search on Google - Latency Audio Pops Dell Inspiron ...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=iBb&q=Latency+Audio+pops+Dell+Inspiron&btnG=Search

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 6:48 pm
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
djfluke1 wrote :

The reason I asked if you use it as long at a a gig .vs. at home is because some disks/laptops can experience overheating (if not cooled and ventilated properly) if used for long times, especially with some of the faster disks (7500-10,000 revs) and this, in turn, can effect disk I/O performace.

Regarding disabling everything, I wasn't thinking you had a virus problem, but more perhaps that you had some background process causing excessive disk activity or consuming too many cpu cycles, thus impacting VDJ's performance.

I didn't think it sounded like a latency issue if the issue only arises at certain times (i.e. your gigs). I would have thought that if you had latency issues , then the issues would exist all the time (assuming no settings/config options have changed between home and gigs).

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 7:21 pm
CSTOLL: This is not a question of me getting you a list, its a question of if VDJ mentions that some sounds cards have issues, then they obviously know the known brands, therefore should specify. Thats common sense. Thats like microsoft saying some laptops dont work well with vista, and they have come to that conclusion, from the testing they have done. Obviously your team is aware of some sound cards that react in a certain way and cause instability, so mentioning what they know dosent hurt. We are not asking to name all brands, but you are aware of some obviously. And you say all over the forum it says to use auto, well your manual dosent specify that does it? It says some sound cards dont work there fore those should be on auto and to select the latency from the sound cardh control panel. Thats the complete opposite of what you are saying... hmmmmmmmm. It dosent say to use auto. You tell us to read the manual we do, then we look on the forum and get the complete opposite of what the manual says.

And to refer to the manual in regards to these settings that are not affected when using ASIO. Under the safe mode definition on page 38, it says: This option has no effect on Asio or low latency modes. So its not refering to all settings just that one. And even to that, if by default this dosent need to be checked, then your team should DISABLE IT when ASIO IS SELECTED TO AVOID CONFUSION.

If your saying the ulta latency should be checked, then you should reword the definitions in your manual. Here again it says when its unchecked its a new safer way for optimization. Here again both options sound good if they are checked or unchecked and confuses the shit out of people.

And in regards to the dell issues, maybe...but when i use my total control, ive never had 1 hick up, its only when i use my icdx so im pretty certain its a configuration issue and again its random. In the middle of the show 2-3 hours in boom it happens. Ive ran DPC lantey checker and got my bars to a minimum.

Anyway thanks for every one's helps.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 8:01 pm
No need to be so aggressive, we are trying to help ;)

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 9:18 pm
not beeing agressive bro. I appreciate the help.

I just find the documentation poor.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 10:01 pm
djfluke1 wrote :
CSTOLL: This is not a question of me getting you a list, its a question of if VDJ mentions that some sounds cards have issues, then they obviously know the known brands, therefore should specify.

We don't know brands - because they change based on the influences of the other hardware and updates to drivers and the O/S. That was the whole point of my comment about get me a list .. there are too many to account for ...

djfluke1 wrote :
Thats common sense. Thats like microsoft saying some laptops dont work well with vista, and they have come to that conclusion, from the testing they have done.

Bad choice to use Microsoft to justify an argument of testing ... have you ever read a Microsoft KB document ? :)

djfluke1 wrote :
Obviously your team is aware of some sound cards that react in a certain way and cause instability, so mentioning what they know dosent hurt. We are not asking to name all brands, but you are aware of some obviously. And you say all over the forum it says to use auto, well your manual dosent specify that does it? It says some sound cards dont work there fore those should be on auto and to select the latency from the sound cardh control panel. Thats the complete opposite of what you are saying... hmmmmmmmm. It dosent say to use auto. You tell us to read the manual we do, then we look on the forum and get the complete opposite of what the manual says.

That is not the case. The case is that the manual states exactly the settings and what/where it influences the system. There can not be a 'Set it up this way' -- if there was we would hard code the settings and not give you the options to make changes. However; we recognize that there are to many variables and factors to a computer to force a locked configuration.

djfluke1 wrote :
And to refer to the manual in regards to these settings that are not affected when using ASIO. Under the safe mode definition on page 38, it says: This option has no effect on Asio or low latency modes. So its not refering to all settings just that one. And even to that, if by default this dosent need to be checked, then your team should DISABLE IT when ASIO IS SELECTED TO AVOID CONFUSION.
If it doesn't change anything, does it really matter if it is checked or unchecked. You don't see a change in the system if you change the setting.

djfluke1 wrote :
If your saying the ulta latency should be checked, then you should reword the definitions in your manual. Here again it says when its unchecked its a new safer way for optimization. Here again both options sound good if they are checked or unchecked and confuses the shit out of people.
Yes, safer in that it is optimized for poorer performance cards. So, did you say you are using Timecodes? Then why are you even concerned with ASIO ... you should be using the WDM drivers for your setup ...

djfluke1 wrote :
And in regards to the dell issues, maybe...but when i use my total control, ive never had 1 hick up, its only when i use my icdx so im pretty certain its a configuration issue and again its random. In the middle of the show 2-3 hours in boom it happens. Ive ran DPC lantey checker and got my bars to a minimum.

Well that tid-bit of information would have been good to know at the start of it all ... very low overhead controller then to 2 controllers that put a little bit more demand on the system ???

Just so you know -- I wrote the manual ... and my issue is that you open the thread saying that the manual is vague and not even really addressing your issue. Don't get me wrong ... you have been one of the few that actually do look at the manual ... but your issue goes beyond what could possibly be covered in a manual. And if I went more 'technical' you would get lost in the technical aspects and be screaming its doesn't make sense. I have tried to keep it where yes, people in your situation - if they don't get it they come and 'ask' ... but there are those out there that get it.

But back to your issue ...

So maybe if you come out with exactly your setup and how maybe everything is configured and when and where you actually use all the components -- then we might be able to get to the bottom of your issue a lot quicker ??

So, do you use a USB Hub that both iCDXs go through? Is it self powered? What else runs through that hub ... the DJio ?

The more you give us the quicker you can get it resolved permanently .... and you are welcome for the assistance that you have gotten...

Chris

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 10:08 pm
2 icdx's
1 dj io
i have 4 usb ports on the computer
computer runs VERY well
running through a numark 5000 fx mixer

no usb hub
300 gig hard drive with 150 gigs freev
dual core amd and 3 gigs of ram
all 3 devices connect to the laptop via usb
ran dpc latency checker, and found out my cd rom was causing high latency
so i disabled that, wifi, bluethooth , internal sound card, web cam , internal 56 k modem and internal LAN card

software is confgured in sound setup
for external mixer
asio sound driver, ultra latency checked
in performace. slider all the way on the left
latency on auto
overclock, safe mode unchecked

went into the djio control panel and set my latency there to 512

thats the setup im going to try and hopefully it will not fail
as again this is a random issue and i understand its hard to troubleshoot
but im about to enter a very busy season in 2 days (booked every week end until august 2nd) and i just dont want issues

ive used a numark cdn 90 back in 2003
then moved over to numark axis 9 in 2005
got the 5000 fx in 2007
then moved to icdx in 2008
then in summer 2008 got cue, djio and total control to use them via laptop
so i know numark makes pretty good products, and i loveeeeeeeeee the icdx
imo they blow any other controller..
but anyway, im also going to try to power the djio with the power cable that came with total control. as its the same voltage and plug. meaning it fits on both products.
thanks for all your help.

Mensajes Wed 20 May 09 @ 10:22 pm
If you have another controller like DMC2 ,you can try and you wont experience those problems, THE PROBLEM IS THE iCDX! I am lookin for help How to solve That we can Use iCDX w/o no problems or crashes on the sofhtware

Mensajes Mon 08 Jun 09 @ 2:55 am
77%