Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Vital info - icue

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi,

I am new to the forum, but have mixed on a very nice analog setup for a couple of years.

i now want a cheap controller, and the ion icue is standing out to me.

Now i know it doesn't have a sound card, but thats the vital info i can't seem to find.

Fair enough you want quality stuff, but ever thread I have seen recommends a DJ i/o or similar for $xx. Yet i saw a you tube video of a guy using what looked like a cheap eBay usb sound card for headphone monitoring.

My question is, could i use this setup? i.e. a cheap secondary usb sound card and my onboard laptop sound?

My specs:

2ghz core duo
2gb ram

Mensajes Tue 09 Jun 09 @ 6:15 pm
I'm not sure about the headphone preamp you saw on YouTube but the DJ IO is the way to go. One of my sons has an iCue and another one the RMX and another theTotal Control. They use the DJ IO for the iCue & TC and it works great, it's a good unit but there are probably cheaper alternatives like the Maya 44, I've seen it for about $79 where the DJ IO is between $99 & $119. Look around on the net.

DJ RuDe

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 2:36 am

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 7:43 am
Yes you can use the USB soundcards, I do it myself. Its a very cheap and easy setup. This is how I have my sound setup to make it work.
Input: none (Unless your using time codes)
Outputs: headphones (Select the arrangement of your sound cards exaple: 1st Cue 2nd master)
Sound card: 2 cards and select your 2 cards. Example 1st on-board card and 2nd USB Card.

You can also do it with an external mixer, that setup should look like this.
Inputs: none
Outputs: External mixer
Sound card: 2 Cards, I plug in my RCA to headphone jack adapter to each sound card and run RCAs from sound cards to 2 channels on the external mixer.

Hope this helps you

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 10:28 am
I am surprissed how hard this assurance is to find. In almost every thread about 'dumb' controllers and needing a soundcard, the only suggestions are for 'expensive' quality sound cards. I have ordered a USB SC off ebay - $2. If this works fine, its weird it's not discussed more.

I was looking at the MK2 controller, but the icue just looks so much nicer. This is a 'toy' to mix tunes on a Friday night instead of just playing itunes.

Off topic: I read the icue can't scratch. I realise you can't do crazy moves, but i can have a little 'wikky wikky' can't I?

Thank you for your reply!!!

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 1:36 pm
You know most people think that having the most expensive gear will make them a better DJ. Any good DJ will rock it no matter what gear he/she is using. I once seen a dude rock a party on some crappy mini disk player! Sure better gear will make a DJs life easier but the Icue has all the basics knobs, slidders and buttons found on a mixer and CD deck. Specially if your just looking for something for your home to mess around with. I had bought one a while back after my girl started complaining about all my DJ gear around the house. I figured I would downsize LOL
I liked it but I ended up selling it because I hated the fact that the controller didn't have any buttons dedicated for looping, I kept having to reach over to my laptop to set my loops but other than that it was worth the $60 I paid for it on ebay! Add another $5 for the USB soundcard and I was set!

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 2:26 pm
Yeah you will not be able to do any crazy scratching or beat up on the controller itself since it's plastic.

anyway this is the sound card I bought
http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-3D-Audio-Sound-Card-Adapter-7-1-Ch-Speaker-Mic_W0QQitemZ250340753484QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a4978c04c&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50

I went with this one because I have both Apple OS X and Windows vista installed on my laptop and it was compatible with both, it was worth the $7 I paid for. There's another one floating around ebay, its basically the same minus a few buttons and that one is a 5.1 sound card. Well I bought that one also but I found that the 7.1 cards sounds a lot better.

The card worked perfect when using virtual DJ under Apples OS X

On the windows vista side I was getting the usual windows related pops and cracks, but once I followed the setup instructions fround on this thread I was set!! http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/87692/Hardware_Technical_Support/Hercules_rmx_performances_setup.html

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 2:38 pm
....and that's exactly the point, the most expensive gear doesn't make a bad DJ better but it does make a good DJ better, cause if you already have the skills, better equipment will augment them.

Chipdeep, In your case, there is nothing wrong with what you have. Back when I didn't have a ton of cash I used whatever I could afford and most people didn't know if I had spent $10,000 or $100 on my equipment. If Magagar says you can make this soundcard thing work, then I would say go for it. If I was in your boat I would have found a way too. Money can be a limiting factor in our endeavors sometimes but there is no limit to imagination…

DJ RuDe

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 2:43 pm
I am 100% Sure it will work.
I have had all kinds of gear. I'm addicted to gear, I guess that's why my girl gets mad at all the crap I buy lol
I can assure you that if your just looking to mess around and get your DJ fix you cant go wrong with this little inexpensive setup.
Over the last year I have been buying all kinds of controllers trying to find the perfect one for me.
I had bought a Hercules RMX, that one comes with the internal sound card. I had a love hate relationship with this one. My biggest problem with the RMX was that sometimes it wouldn't start up, It would keep saying it wasn't connected to virtual DJ.
The thing that amazed me about the cheap icue when compared to the more expensive RMX was that the jogs and sliders felt a lot better on the cheap plastic icue toy than they did on the more expensive RMX. As soon as I noticed how much better the jogs felt I decided to open it up and see what was going on inside the Icue (Hey it I messed it up, it was only $60), once I was inside I found the jogs were freaking OPCTICAL!! That explained why the jogs just seem to be so free flowing. The faders were not optical on the Icue but they still felt a lot better than on my more expensive RMX.

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 3:04 pm
Tear Em 'UpPRO InfinitySenior ModeratorMember since 2006
MAGAGAR80 wrote :
Any good DJ will rock it no matter what gear he/she is using.!

Ya know, I'm on these forums all the time. I see almost every post. I work in several venues. I always hear about equipment. Every time I see/hear someone make this statement it brings a little tear to my eye...I'm so proud of you MAGAGAR80! That is EXACTLY correct. It doesn't matter what you use, what matters is how you use it, and does the crowd enjoy what your doing. Everything else is candy topping on an ice cream cone....

Mensajes Wed 10 Jun 09 @ 3:19 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)