Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: v6.0.1 database still missing bpm info??? - Page: 1

Esta parte del tópico es antigua y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I was told version 6.0.1 was to have a stable database that would not mysteriously lose songs info. This really messes things up when you have filter folders that rely on date entered in and last play and stuff like that. All these folders become moot after a while.

Anyway, tonight, with a NEW HD, I lost data on six songs and had to rescan them all. They were not songs that were recently played or anything like that. Seems to pick at a completely random basis. I want to mention this so the team knows there is still stuff at fault with the database here.

And...is anyone else experiencing database problems such as this. If so please post here... and maybe some common ground can be sorted out for the team to figure things out and do a repair in a future upgrade hopefully.

I DO fix... clean....and check. all the time. To no avail.

Mensajes Wed 24 Jun 09 @ 12:42 am
Hope you get an answer as this was reported with other faults when 6.0 and 6.0.1 was released although no reply, so I assume the techies are on holiday as I note a few posts have not been answered regarding faults.

Mensajes Wed 24 Jun 09 @ 2:25 am
DJmgaPRO InfinityMember since 2009
Yes, still there for me, as posted in your other post here: http://www.virtualdj.com/forums/108774/PC_Version_Technical_Support/Sem_to_lose_bpm_and_length_info_often_.html

What I do know is that:
- It's not specifically a USB/external drive thing. It happens on my internals.
- It's not a disk issue. My drives are working perfectly, less than 6 months old & my data is contiguous.
- Very random: can happen on 1 track or 161 (as reported in the above thread). When it happens, its not unique to 1 artist/genre/folder.
- Have only seen it after I add new tracks, which I hate doing now for fear of losing a large amount of data - I can live with losing 1 or 2 tracks' data, but losing data on hundreds is a major pain in the ass.
- I stress tracks because I don't believe I've had the issue when adding a single individual track.
- Based on the above statement, is this somehow related to the volume of data being added in one go?
- This led me to believe it was possibly related to recursing my entire drive, which I always do after adding any new tracks. So then I resorted to simply selecting the specific folders I added the music to and analysing the new tracks. But this didn't resolve the issue either - I still ended-up with lost data.
- Doesn't happen every time I add tracks.
- I alway do a check/clean/fix on my database also.
- It happens with XP & Vista 32-bit.
- I do use iTunes to organise my music, so that I don't need to worry about moving music to specific folders, etc.
- It's not related to permissions. I've reset all permissions and besides, I run with full admin privileges.
- Absolutely not related to adding tracks/albums/artists with accents.

It's obviously not a widespread database issue, otherwise this forum would be burning with posts about it. I'm sure it's something small, but it's taking me a long time to try and find a set of circumstances where I can reproduce it at will :-(.

-Martin.

Mensajes Wed 24 Jun 09 @ 9:16 am
djcelPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004
DJmga wrote :

Thank you for the feedbacks
Please do it in this order for the future:
fix/check/clean

Mensajes Wed 24 Jun 09 @ 1:15 pm
djcel wrote :

fix/check/clean

You're welcome on the feedback ;-)
Will try that order in future & thanks for the suggestion.

Mensajes Wed 24 Jun 09 @ 3:19 pm
djcel wrote :
DJmga wrote :

fix/check/clean

I have always been doing it in that order and to no avail. Last night I lost an entire virtual folder; again. I do remember having another HD hooked up at the same time as I was adding the same set of songs to both from a small 1 gB flash drive. So maybe it might have something to do with having two databases going at the same time. A longshot, I know.
Bryant

Mensajes Thu 25 Jun 09 @ 6:14 pm
Well, did another test tonight. Did the database stuff in the fix/check/clean order. Actually did this before and after adding tracks.

Results:

- Added 363 tracks in total in 2 batches.
- First batch: 250 tracks. Checked my unscanned list. No problem. Only the 250 newly added tracks showed-up.
- Added another 113 tracks. Checked my unscanned folder again. 128 tracks listed.

So, 15 old tracks (as in previously scanned) showed-up as unscanned.

Granted, 15 is way lower than I've previously experienced when adding multiple CD's, but obviously doing the fix/check/clean on the database did not prevent losing previously scanned tracks' data.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
Martin.

Mensajes Thu 25 Jun 09 @ 9:44 pm
I generally lose about 6 to 15 tracks' data every 3rd or 4th time I open up VDJ. I lost another six tonight on a different laptop. My wife lost some last week (20 songs) on a 2 gB Shuttle with internal 500 gB HD. All version 6.0.1 vdj.

Mensajes Fri 26 Jun 09 @ 5:29 am
I also want to add that I've looked at the files/songs data in the database and did not see any "weird" characters that used to be the blame/cause for this. It was just normal data info like all the other songs' data.

Mensajes Fri 26 Jun 09 @ 11:57 am
i just lost a whole chunk of song info AGAIN !!!
i mentioned this in a few other posts, too

as martin(DJmga) wrote above
i think it happens a lot after adding many songs at once,
editing those, recursing folders and fix/check/cleaning DB

this is a big pain in the arrrrrrrse,
especially, of course, it usually happens right before a big weekend or event or...
when you prepare a whole bunch of new songs to play....
not knowing or forgetting the "risk" that old info will dsappear....

this all started, as i remember, after vdj used local DBs
(every device has it own DB)
i'm not saying i don't like the new system
i actually prefer it !

maybe vdj has a problem handling...
the same song/file, same size of course, on different devices
with different song info, like different cues, automix points etc...
maybe the different info for the same song/file will cause a collision
when you have the devices with those songs connected at the same time

just my 50 won...
will get back to "manually restore" the lost info

Mensajes Fri 03 Jul 09 @ 1:47 am
Matt0218 wrote :
i just lost a whole chunk of song info AGAIN !!!
i mentioned this in a few other posts, too

as martin(DJmga) wrote above
i think it happens a lot after adding many songs at once,
editing those, recursing folders and fix/check/cleaning DB

this is a big pain in the arrrrrrrse,
especially, of course, it usually happens right before a big weekend or event or...
when you prepare a whole bunch of new songs to play....
not knowing or forgetting the "risk" that old info will dsappear....

this all started, as i remember, after vdj used local DBs
(every device has it own DB)
i'm not saying i don't like the new system
i actually prefer it !

maybe vdj has a problem handling...
the same song/file, same size of course, on different devices
with different song info, like different cues, automix points etc...
maybe the different info for the same song/file will cause a collision
when you have the devices with those songs connected at the same time

just my 50 won...
will get back to "manually restore" the lost info

Most of the above conditions seem to replicate mine.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jul 09 @ 1:25 am
Do we (or most of us) all agree that something needs to be done about this before they continually release new features.

Jump in guys, anyone from the team have any input.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jul 09 @ 10:02 am
Sorry for repeating myself. I suggested before release to have it beta tested properly by the members whom have used it for a long time instead of allowing us to Beta test before release. Annoying has this lesson was never learnt from previous versions. I am surprised that the simple glitches are being picked up now which should had come out at beta stage. The team as to remember beta testing should be be done by versatile DJ's when using versatile software. I know that the argument is even MS have this problems and release updates of which this comparison gets a little annoying and I also realise the complexities of the process. Even at this moment in time the team are working to fix faults so mindful of this, please don't rush them, let do their work.

Mensajes Sat 04 Jul 09 @ 10:16 am
Of course we are letting them do their work; however, we are simply asking if that work is being worked on. remember, these type of posts go back to VDJ4.0?

Mensajes Sun 05 Jul 09 @ 1:52 am
anyone? comments? additions? deletions? etc.?

Mensajes Tue 07 Jul 09 @ 8:53 am
The team responded in another posting advising that all have or being read and also an explanation as to why some issues will take longer to resolve. Unfortunatley whilst they look for the needles in the haystacks to find the cause we will all have to show some patients. I have reverted to 5.2.1 which is to my advantage as it resolves most of my issues and also giving me less reason to bug the team whilst they do the business.

Mensajes Tue 07 Jul 09 @ 9:49 am
chriso710 wrote :
The team responded in another posting advising that all have or being read and also an explanation as to why some issues will take longer to resolve. Unfortunatley whilst they look for the needles in the haystacks to find the cause we will all have to show some patients. I have reverted to 5.2.1 which is to my advantage as it resolves most of my issues and also giving me less reason to bug the team whilst they do the business.

Okay, great. Patience now.

Mensajes Tue 07 Jul 09 @ 3:47 pm
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
The issue comes from viewing playlists where the playlist has references to files that are not visible to VirtualDJ ... example - viewing a playlist with tracks that are on an external drive but the drive is not currently connected. If you have the option of 'Add Automatically' set in the Config->Browser tab then the files are added to the primary database ( My Documents\VirtualDJ\VirtualDJ Database v6.xml ). The issue also occurs if the file was 'moved' on the drive and you viewed a playlist that had it referenced in it's prior location.

For now to avoid this issue .. turn off the Add Automatically option but setting it to Add Manually. Then run a Check and Clean on all your database files from the Config -> Browser tab. Then when you add new tracks add them using the 'Add to Search DB' option when you right click on folders.

The request has be made to the Development Team to not add files to the database when viewing playlists when the 'Add Automatically' option is active.

Mensajes Tue 07 Jul 09 @ 8:07 pm
I see. I may add 40 songs that go into 12 different folders at one time. Are you saying now that I have to remember all of those 12 (maybe more) next time I turn on VDJ and go thru a whole bunch of right click "add to database". Wow.

Mensajes Wed 08 Jul 09 @ 12:53 am
cstoll wrote :
The issue comes from viewing playlists where the playlist has references to files that are not visible to VirtualDJ ... example - viewing a playlist with tracks that are on an external drive but the drive is not currently connected. If you have the option of 'Add Automatically' set in the Config->Browser tab then the files are added to the primary database ( My Documents\VirtualDJ\VirtualDJ Database v6.xml ). The issue also occurs if the file was 'moved' on the drive and you viewed a playlist that had it referenced in it's prior location.

For now to avoid this issue .. turn off the Add Automatically option but setting it to Add Manually. Then run a Check and Clean on all your database files from the Config -> Browser tab. Then when you add new tracks add them using the 'Add to Search DB' option when you right click on folders.

The request has be made to the Development Team to not add files to the database when viewing playlists when the 'Add Automatically' option is active.

cStoll: One last question on this?

I have one large folder called VDJ Songs with 20 sub folders that carry the different genres in them. Can I right click on the main VDJ Songs folder and add to database; or do I have to right click on the subfolders (and add those to database) that those new songs went into?
Thanx so far?

Mensajes Wed 08 Jul 09 @ 1:25 pm
48%