Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Windows Media Player stopped playing mpg files!

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

All of a sudden, WMP 11 just stopped playing mpg files. I've tried reinstalling wmp 11 and it doesn't work. Could there be some setting in VDJ that affect3ed the codecs used somehow. What's really weird is when i double click on a .vob file, wmp 11 won't play it, but immediately after that, I can play three (but only three) mpg files, then on the 4th i get "Wmp has encountered an error and must close. sorry for the inconvenience!"

These files play fine on VDJ6.0.1, however.

Any ideas, workaround, anyone?

Mensajes Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 5:47 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
yes i have a perfect work around

please go here: http://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

and download the KLITE CODEC PACK.. this will allow you to play ANY type of file in media player. i use the FULL version but you can use which ever you want.. just be sure to read through the options list during setup so you can select everything ou want to be able to use with media player... such as m4a maybe and avi and anything else you want.

theres also a 64bit version.

Mensajes Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 5:58 pm
I have installed that already and it has been installed for several years working fine. Just all of a sudden the wmp stopped playing mpg files??

Mensajes Thu 09 Jul 09 @ 6:35 pm
oh???? erm really????? hmmmm???

try checking your WMP settings and see if WMP is set as the default player for .mpg files. chances are you have set vdj or some other app to be the default player without realising.

if not check for updates for media player on the windows update site and if there isnt any, try uninstalling then reinstalling KLITE. i had the same problem with .avi files and the removal/reinstalling solved it for me.

the final option i can think of is to re install WMP.

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 3:14 am
recently I have experienced WMP and Zoom Player not playing files properly (and also Vegas does not seem to like some mpg files lately).

I have downloaded and reinstalled the latest direct x, K-Lite codec pack and WMP "codec" updates but I am still having problems....everything plays fine in VDJ and when I run the files through "Any Video Converter" they then play fine.

I have only noticed the problems in the last 3 weeks and only on my Vista machine not my XP machine, wondering if there had been a windows update in the last 3-4 weeks that may have messed something up?

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 4:52 am
Blulite wrote :
oh???? erm really????? hmmmm???

try checking your WMP settings and see if WMP is set as the default player for .mpg files. chances are you have set vdj or some other app to be the default player without realising.

if not check for updates for media player on the windows update site and if there isnt any, try uninstalling then reinstalling KLITE. i had the same problem with .avi files and the removal/reinstalling solved it for me.

the final option i can think of is to re install WMP.

I did all that to no avail. I'm on XP SP3.

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 9:36 am
hmm give me a min...............................let me think.........................................i need to prepare the power of the ginge.....................................

do you have the latest version of direct x ???

have you tried downloading the xvid codec for WMP?

have you tried to reconfigure your KLITE pack to see if the mpg/mpeg codecs are selected from the lists??

have you removed any software prior to this fault happening?? nero for instance or something else that works in conjunction with WMP??

or maybe you have installed some mobile phone software that is causing the problem. a lot of samsung software can cause problems with WMP??

have you updated the drivers on your video card??? if these are out of date your video card may be causing the problem the drivers will be available at the Nvidia website or try the uniblue driver scanner and update all your out dated drivers at once get it here http://kewlshare.com/dl/fee9a5017116/DriverScanner.2009.v2.0.0.26.rar.html

have you tried changing the file extection to .wmv and trying to play it again?? sometimes this works because WMP is a bit gay..

if none of these work....

try this video decoder check up tool to see what codecs you have installed : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

you can also try this freeware (Dscaler) which is an mpeg2 decoder compatible with WMP : http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=dscaler+mpeg&Submit=Search&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50&convert=&dvdauthorfeatures=

and then...lol..if these dont work then your totally screwed because im running out of ideas here...

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 4:59 pm
Blulite wrote :
hmm give me a min...............................let me think.........................................i need to prepare the power of the ginge.....................................

do you have the latest version of direct x ???

have you tried downloading the xvid codec for WMP?

have you tried to reconfigure your KLITE pack to see if the mpg/mpeg codecs are selected from the lists??

have you removed any software prior to this fault happening?? nero for instance or something else that works in conjunction with WMP??

or maybe you have installed some mobile phone software that is causing the problem. a lot of samsung software can cause problems with WMP??

have you updated the drivers on your video card??? if these are out of date your video card may be causing the problem the drivers will be available at the Nvidia website or try the uniblue driver scanner and update all your out dated drivers at once get it here http://kewlshare.com/dl/fee9a5017116/DriverScanner.2009.v2.0.0.26.rar.html

have you tried changing the file extection to .wmv and trying to play it again?? sometimes this works because WMP is a bit gay..

if none of these work....

try this video decoder check up tool to see what codecs you have installed : http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=DE1491AC-0AB6-4990-943D-627E6ADE9FCB&displaylang=en

you can also try this freeware (Dscaler) which is an mpeg2 decoder compatible with WMP : http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=dscaler+mpeg&Submit=Search&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50&convert=&dvdauthorfeatures=

and then...lol..if these dont work then your totally screwed because im running out of ideas here...

Hey thanx, I did find a codec tweak tool and frigged with it by unclicking and clicking some boxes that just seemed right, got lucky, and everyon'es happy now! The weird part is I'm not sure what I did to fix it and could probably never duplicate it. Ever do that?

Mensajes Fri 10 Jul 09 @ 5:54 pm
wanna post a link to that tweak tool?

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 09 @ 2:27 pm
I think it was part of the k-lite codec pack. It came with that setup.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 09 @ 3:36 pm
I have that pack installed, but never noticed any utility programs with it....I will check again?

Also does anyone know where the codecs are hinding in Vista? I was thinking about deleting them and starting over but can't find them...I know where they are in XP but can't find them in Vista.

Mensajes Sat 11 Jul 09 @ 5:31 pm
the tweak tool isnt actually a tool, you just goto start programs > Klite codec pack > configuration , then choose the tool you want to config. there are several apps within the Klite pack.

Mensajes Mon 27 Jul 09 @ 3:46 pm
Blulite wrote :
the tweak tool isnt actually a tool, you just goto start programs > Klite codec pack > configuration , then choose the tool you want to config. there are several apps within the Klite pack.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Although witht hte latest windows automatic update it seemed to have fixed tself, so it may have been a windows update thing.

Mensajes Tue 28 Jul 09 @ 9:14 pm
great, it'll (update) prolly knock mine the other way again.
Don't u hate that when that happens.

Mensajes Wed 29 Jul 09 @ 12:52 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)