Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: cdj setup

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

c4rashyHome userMember since 2009
Hi! Im planning to buy a cdj (800mk2 i think). I want to know how hard it is to set it up. Is it just plug-in and use, or will i need to buy extra cables for 100 bucks and spend hours trying to connect it?
My Ion Icue was great in that way. I just needed to install the software, plug the controller in, and use it.
Oh btw, will cdj even work with CUE LE?

Thanks in advance!

-c4

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 5:25 am
The Pioneer CDJ-800 is not a MIDI-controller in a same way as your Ion Icue, so the only way to use it to control Virtual DJ is via timecode CD's. This requires 1) a sound card with the suitable inputs and outputs 2) Professional-edition of VDJ.

It's also worth pointing our that a CD-player via timecode doesn't offer such wide range of functions as MIDI-controller. That's why you might want to consider getting Pioneer CDJ-400 instead.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 6:01 am
aha. so a 100, 200 or 400 will be just as easy to set up like my icue?
Actually im just looking for a MIDI controller with a big and realistic jog wheel, so i can do as realistic scratches as possible. My icue is really bad on that criteria.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 6:55 am
c4rashy wrote :
aha. so a 100, 200 or 400 will be just as easy to set up like my icue?
Actually im just looking for a MIDI controller with a big and realistic jog wheel, so i can do as realistic scratches as possible. My icue is really bad on that criteria.

CDJ-100/200 are both just normal CD-decks like CDJ-800. Pioneer has only two MIDI-controllers; the CDJ-400 deck and the SEP-C1 19" controller (aka MEP-7000 when combined with CD-unit).

Sidenote: I'm a devoted house man myself, so despite my vinyl jockey origins I never quite understood the appeal of scratching, producing sqeaky noises just isn't that entertaining :)

But seriously speaking, if you want something that is easy to plug in and provides realistic scrathing sounds, my advice is to get a pair of Technics SL-1200's and start rubbing real vinyl, because you're not going to get it both ways:

1) MIDI-controllers are more or less plug & play, but they also more or less suck for scratching.

2) Timecode-setup comes very close of the real thing, but it can be pain in the ass to make it work...not to mention expensive.

3) Even the best timecode-setup with CD-decks is still a timecode-setup with CD-decks. Who the hell scratchs CD's anyway? :) If you're going to build a timecode-setup, at least do it with vinyl/turntables.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 7:55 am
Thanks. I might get a cdj400. Now Ive checked thru google and youtube for info about it.

actually, what im most afraid of is that i will be forced to use the mapper thing in VDJ that everyone so talks about.

When i imagine unpacking my cdj400 and plugging it in i just think "hey hows my computer gonna know wether i want the cdj to control my left or right deck. and how will the cdj interact with my icue."

Thanks for all the help! This is for sure the best dj forum ever!

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 8:15 am
As far as I remember Virtual DJ 6 has native support for CDJ-400, so you don't have to map it yourself - just plug it in and you're good to go. You can change between left/right deck just by bressing a button (don't know what's the default button for that in the native CDJ-400 keymap).

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 8:49 am
Haui70PRO InfinitySenior staffMember since 2008
AuralCandy.Net wrote :
As far as I remember Virtual DJ 6 has native support for CDJ-400, so you don't have to map it yourself - just plug it in and you're good to go. You can change between left/right deck just by bressing a button (don't know what's the default button for that in the native CDJ-400 keymap).

1+ ;-)

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 9:46 am
djranesPRO InfinityMember since 2007
Even in 5.2.1 CDJ-400 is already natively supported (plug click/choose and play).
Of course you need to get a Pro version first to handle all your future needs. Limited is of course is limited and it's always be limited.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 9:49 am
cstollPRO InfinityMember since 2004
c4rashy wrote :
actually, what im most afraid of is that i will be forced to use the mapper thing in VDJ that everyone so talks about.

Well once you get the Pro version and see how easy it is to use - that fear will disappear. And if you don't have a need to change anything ... then you will never need to look at the mapper anyhow.

Just don't get this 'fear factor' over the mapping system ... :)

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 10:02 am
yea, i think ill get licensed. As I understand the possibilities are limitless. You can add any midi controller or anything. Also, if i understood it right, i should get $150 off the price, because i have Icue. Still Im short on money. Im actually 13 years old :) but Id really like to professionally work as a dj when i get older. For me getting that ammount of money is ridicilously hard. Especially these bad times. I remember some years ago i could earn some quick money just by helping my neighboar with some simple stuff like walking his dog. Now theres absolutely no chance for that.

I know this is just the wrong place to say this, but if you wanna buy a good wow char for cheap, contact me. The price will be about $150 since i basically just want to get the money for vdj (take payments on paypal only).

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 11:19 am
C4rashy:

Check out the video I just made about CDJ-400s and Virtual DJ

[youtube]xNdrAqV5rPQ [/youtube]

I think you will find that this is an excellent way to go.

DJ RuDe

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 12:18 pm
I mentioned earlier that i run on super-low budget. I cant afford that. If I could, i obviously would stick with that. Thats the most common pc dj set-up.
Thanks anyways.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 12:36 pm
Did I somehow misunderstand you? Mine is the most common PC DJ setup?! How do you figure that? Like you said it's expensive so it can't be the most common setup. I think the Total Control or the various Hercules controllers are the most common setups for PC DJing

DJ RuDe

Edit by Cioce
Please stop to quote any message and use reply, this is not the first time I delete your no sense quote

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 1:00 pm
???? Cioce: This isn't the first time I respond to you in this way....

You're sounding a bit abrasive, it must be late over there in Italy, maybe it's past your bedtime!? ;)

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 1:39 pm
Well, maybe. Its just that I spent hours in youtube today, and noticed that most djs i saw actually had a pair of cdj 400s and a cdm.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 1:41 pm
See, this is why I use the god%*nm quotes! This Rash dude thought I was talking to him! lol

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 1:43 pm
what??? im still writing about your post when you said 2xCDJ400+DJM isnt a common setup.

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 1:49 pm
Oh, OK. Sorry. I was getting a little testy because of the rash and capricious way in which our fair moderator has treated some of my posts. A PM would have sufficed as a fair and discrete manner in which to handle this.

OK back to our discussion:

There are quite a few users of the Pioneer CDJ-400s but there are many more that use CDJ-800s and 1000s. I haven't seen very many that have exactly my setup, only a couple. Most guys that have the CDJ-400s don't use the DJM-800. They use the DJM-400 or other mixers.

But do a search on the Total Control, Omni Control, Hercules RMX and MKII DJ Control and you will see many more videos on these than the CDJ-400s.

The RMX is my favorite all in one DJ console. I bought one for one of my sons and a very good friend that has been a DJ for over 30 years (DJ Advise) uses an RMX exclusively. This is a great DJ tool and is inexpensive. have you considered one of these?

DJ RuDe

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 2:04 pm
Well, i already have a device with the same interface. 2 jog wheels and a mixer built together. There are actually just 2 things im kind of interested in getting now is a bigger size, touch sensitive job wheel like the one on cdj400. The other thing is a device that could work for the vdj sampler. I already found one (Uc33e i think it was called). Now my only problem is the money. As long as im out of money im not moving anywhere. First before a start purchasing new hardware i will need the software. Im sure my dad will get me vdj pro to my birthday (october 7th), but i dont know about the rest.
DJing is the first real hobby that ive got, and now i realise how impossible it is for me to get what i need for it. There are minimal chances of earning enough money as a 13-year-old. I also need a new phone, my current is gonna stop working any moment. Well, i guess that at some point ill have all the hardware i need, and i wont have to worry about it any more...for a while.

p.s. why do you have both Cue and Vdj?

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 3:51 pm
The Jog wheel on CDJ 400 is small where the CDJ 800 is bigger. Since the 800s are not Midi, All the effects and everything can still be done uisng the keyboard on your laptop. 2 CDJ 800s like you said above with M audio Connective sound card which works really great. Thats all you need to get busy and start rocking parties..

Mensajes Thu 20 Aug 09 @ 4:54 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)