Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: DAC 1 or DAC 2 or DAC3

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

karksPRO InfinityMember since 2009
I have recently bought a DAC-3 controller to use with VDJ. The unit seems to work well by default with all the mappings etc.

One annoying thing I have noticed which is driving me nuts and I wonder if others get in with the general DAC controllers.

When you have cue'd a track and hit the play button on the beat. There is a delay and the play back is not instant. Of course
you can fix it by hiting the pitch bend buttons to get it back in time. But I find this very fustrating and not sure whether this
should happen.

Anyone found the same problem?

Mensajes Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 12:28 pm
There should not normally be any delay unless the PLAY button is faulty/failing, which unfortunately is a common problem on the DAC-3 (This can usually be fixed by taking it apart and spraying the microswitches with contact lubricant (As used for noisy faders.))

Another reason why you may be experiencing a delay is sound card latency. For best results, you should use an ASIO capable external DJ sound card and set the latency (Buffer) as low as possible without experiencing sound break-up.

NOTE: The Denon DN-HC4500 is an ideal upgrade from the DAC-3 and has its own built-in ASIO sound card.

Mensajes Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 1:16 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
I learned something.

While making my own samples, I wondered if I could have two actions at a time.

Certain songs need beat intros and I have many cool beat sample loops.

So, I set DAC3 play_pause to engage both play_pause & sampler play_pause and tell cue to do same - should I want to stop them both at same time.

I am liking this.

:)

Mensajes Tue 15 Sep 09 @ 10:36 pm
jpboggis wrote :
There should not normally be any delay unless the PLAY button is faulty/failing, which unfortunately is a common problem on the DAC-3 (This can usually be fixed by taking it apart and spraying the microswitches with contact lubricant (As used for noisy faders.))

Another reason why you may be experiencing a delay is sound card latency. For best results, you should use an ASIO capable external DJ sound card and set the latency (Buffer) as low as possible without experiencing sound break-up.

NOTE: The Denon DN-HC4500 is an ideal upgrade from the DAC-3 and has its own built-in ASIO sound card.

Hey thanx for replying jpboggis ;o) -

I havent used it in conjunction with an external sound card yet, I ordered my Gigaport card and still waiting for it.. So in the mean time I just connected the DAC-3 to my laptop and start playing messing about with it.

Ok, will try the settings as you suggested first, then if no joy then take the thing apart.

Agreed I was at Plasa at the weekend and the Denon 4500 is a very nice bit of kit. I used wished VDJ worked with my DN-S5000... but it doesn't ;o(

Mensajes Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 3:25 am
If the buttons are failing, then they will often not respond at all. If the delay is consistent, then it is caused by using your laptop's internal sound card. Laptop cards are not normally designed for low latency, and if you are also mixing to/from traditional analogue sources such as CD or vinyl then you will notice this delay more.

When you get your Gigaport, set the ASIO latency (Buffer size) as low as you can possibly go without getting sound break-up/stuttering and you should find the response very good.

Your Denon DN-S5000 is not a MIDI controller so it can never directly interface with VirtualDJ, but you could use it to control VirtualDJ via timecode CD's using a suitable 4-in/4-out card such as Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ or ESI Maya44 USB. Alternatively, you could sell it and upgrade to Denon DN-S3700, which can act both as MIDI controllers and CD players.

Mensajes Wed 16 Sep 09 @ 12:13 pm
jpboggis wrote :
If the buttons are failing, then they will often not respond at all. If the delay is consistent, then it is caused by using your laptop's internal sound card. Laptop cards are not normally designed for low latency, and if you are also mixing to/from traditional analogue sources such as CD or vinyl then you will notice this delay more.

When you get your Gigaport, set the ASIO latency (Buffer size) as low as you can possibly go without getting sound break-up/stuttering and you should find the response very good.

Your Denon DN-S5000 is not a MIDI controller so it can never directly interface with VirtualDJ, but you could use it to control VirtualDJ via timecode CD's using a suitable 4-in/4-out card such as Native Instruments Audio 4 DJ or ESI Maya44 USB. Alternatively, you could sell it and upgrade to Denon DN-S3700, which can act both as MIDI controllers and CD players.

Thanx for replying :o)

Ok, as the controller is literally brand new I started by adjusting the settings under CONFIG==PERORMANCE, and it has improved the delay. This in turn has made the controller a joy to use now. Once again thank you. I am still using the laptops internal sound card as still waiting for my gigaport, hope this will improve it further.

I tried using my Denon DN-S5000's with Rane Serato Scratch and the SL1 sound card. But after many many many late nights of configuring VDJ, trying different laptops, different OS's (MAC,PC), I couldn't fix a really bad noise latency issue. The sound on normal playback using time code CD's was awful. No matter how much I tried detuning laptops, changing performance settings in VDJ, changing sound card settings I could not remove the noise. Also the noise got progresively worse when I moved the pitch controller in either direction from the zero level. This is a real shame as I love the players and really bought VDJ to use with them. In the end the DAC3 was a forced purchase to use with VDJ for visual mixing at live events.

I know this is a stab in the dark but would you have any ideas as to why the noise could not be elinminated?

Must say the VDJ support was not that good, and felt let down ;o(

Mensajes Thu 17 Sep 09 @ 3:10 pm
You should be able to achieve even better performance by using the Gigaport's ASIO driver with a small buffer size, depending on your computer's specification and performance. However, very low latency is only essential for scratching.

When you get the Gigaport, make sure that you set the Latency to Auto in CONFIG -> Performances (The ASIO latency is set via CONFIG -> Sound Setup -> ASIO Config button.)

The timecode problem you experienced was most likely caused by incorrect configuration or performance issues.

If the 'bad noise' was a high pitched whine, then you were hearing the time code signal itself. You need to mute the inputs of the sound card to do this. I don't have experience of the SL1, but on the ESI Maya44 USB, you do this via its control panel software.

If you were getting distortion, stuttering or sound break-up, then this is a performance issue with your computer and/or incorrect configuration. Things to check would be:

* Sound card drivers are up-to-date - Check the manufacturer's website.

* Wireless networking is turned off/disabled - This often causes issues for low latency audio.

* If using a laptop, set it to maximum performance in Control Panel -> Power settings

* If using Vista, disable UAC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista

* The VirtualDJ skin is not maximised or resized. Depending on your graphic card's capabilities, this may result in a significant increase in CPU usage.

* Correct settiings in CONFIG -> Performances tab:

Latency: Auto
Safe Mode: NOT ticked
Overclock: NOT ticked

* Correct settings in CONFIG -> Sound Setup tab:

Inputs: Timecode
Outputs: External Mixer
Sound card: ASIO Driver (Choose your correct card from the list)
Ultra latency: NOT ticked

* Use the DPC Latency checker to check for any issues on your computer: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

* Adjust the ASIO latency / buffer size vis CONFIG -> Sound Setup -> ASIO Config button. The lower the setting, the better the responsiveness for scratching, but more prone to sound break-up and higher the system requirements. If you are getting break-up, increase it by one 'click' and then restart VirtualDJ. Repeat until you find the optimal setting for your computer.

Mensajes Fri 18 Sep 09 @ 12:33 pm
NOTE: If you are interested in Denon CD players with spinning platters, take a look at Denon DN-S3700. These are MIDI controllers that can control VirtualDJ directly (Just like your HC4500), so no timecode is involved.

Mensajes Fri 18 Sep 09 @ 12:35 pm
ewitlesPRO InfinityMember since 2006
Funny you should mention that.

Can the DAC3 emulate TCV?

Mensajes Fri 18 Sep 09 @ 1:05 pm
jpboggis wrote :
You should be able to achieve even better performance by using the Gigaport's ASIO driver with a small buffer size, depending on your computer's specification and performance. However, very low latency is only essential for scratching.

When you get the Gigaport, make sure that you set the Latency to Auto in CONFIG -> Performances (The ASIO latency is set via CONFIG -> Sound Setup -> ASIO Config button.)

The timecode problem you experienced was most likely caused by incorrect configuration or performance issues.

If the 'bad noise' was a high pitched whine, then you were hearing the time code signal itself. You need to mute the inputs of the sound card to do this. I don't have experience of the SL1, but on the ESI Maya44 USB, you do this via its control panel software.

If you were getting distortion, stuttering or sound break-up, then this is a performance issue with your computer and/or incorrect configuration. Things to check would be:

* Sound card drivers are up-to-date - Check the manufacturer's website.
* Wireless networking is turned off/disabled - This often causes issues for low latency audio.
* If using a laptop, set it to maximum performance in Control Panel -> Power settings
* If using Vista, disable UAC: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista
* The VirtualDJ skin is not maximised or resized. Depending on your graphic card's capabilities, this may result in a significant increase in CPU usage.

* Correct settiings in CONFIG -> Performances tab:

Latency: Auto
Safe Mode: NOT ticked
Overclock: NOT ticked

* Correct settings in CONFIG -> Sound Setup tab:

Inputs: Timecode
Outputs: External Mixer
Sound card: ASIO Driver (Choose your correct card from the list)
Ultra latency: NOT ticked

* Use the DPC Latency checker to check for any issues on your computer: http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

* Adjust the ASIO latency / buffer size vis CONFIG -> Sound Setup -> ASIO Config button. The lower the setting, the better the responsiveness for scratching, but more prone to sound break-up and higher the system requirements. If you are getting break-up, increase it by one 'click' and then restart VirtualDJ. Repeat until you find the optimal setting for your computer.

Wow.. was not expecting this, but hey it's put a smile on me face this morning. Thank you for taking the time and effort in writing bro ;o)

Ok, it's Saturday morning and still no Gigaport card.. ;o( Now I simply cant wait trying it knowing now there will be even better performance!

When it comes to using the DN-S5000 and using time codes the "bad noise" was not the time code signal itself. I played the time code CD back to elminate it. Like you say it was more like distortion, stuttering and sound break-up which got worse with pitch movement.

Not being funny and certainly without sounding rude I have tried nearly all of what you have mentioned above except for these..

* Sound card drivers up-to-date
* The VirtualDJ skin is not maximised or resized.

The rest including all possible variations for configuration of sound card setup and performance settings and also completely de-tuning my Vista based laptop have not worked. The one possible critical thing I notice you mentioned that I didnt do is restart VDJ after making each change. Here what I would do is stop the playing tune on the Denon, make a setting change in either performance or sound setup. Then restart the tune. Not quit and restart the application. -- -- -- Could it be here where I could have gone wrong?

Another possibilty is that the hardware, SL1 sound card may not be compatiable? But being a Rane product can't see it do you?

Mensajes Sat 19 Sep 09 @ 4:09 am
jpboggis wrote :
NOTE: If you are interested in Denon CD players with spinning platters, take a look at Denon DN-S3700. These are MIDI controllers that can control VirtualDJ directly (Just like your HC4500), so no timecode is involved.

I hear you dude, to be honest the DN-S5000 is a fantastic and an expensive CD deck, at its time. Unless I could sell them at a good price together with the DAC3 and Gigaport soundcard, not sure where that would leave me financially.Know what I mean?

It would just be perfect if the DN-S5000 would work.

Mensajes Sat 19 Sep 09 @ 4:21 am
ewitles wrote :
Can the DAC3 emulate TCV?

It is a MIDI controller that controls the software directly.

It emulates the functionality of a dual CD player and gives you the same response without the need to using timecode CD.

If you don't have one, then you should consider the Denon DN-HC4500 instead - It is a much more up-to-date MIDI controller with many more features, including built-in sound card, track name display and touch sensitive jogwheels.

Mensajes Sat 19 Sep 09 @ 3:07 pm
karks wrote :
I didnt do is restart VDJ after making each change. Here what I would do is stop the playing tune on the Denon, make a setting change in either performance or sound setup.

Normally you need to restart VirtualDJ for the change to take effect.

Also, did you have master tempo/keylock enabled. If so, disable it. In particular using advanced master tempo with timecode requires a very high performance system.

karks wrote :
SL1 sound card may not be compatiable?

SL1 is compatible with VirtualDJ under Windows. Many timecode users use this card.

Mensajes Sat 19 Sep 09 @ 3:09 pm
jpboggis wrote :
[quote=karks]I didnt do is restart VDJ after making each change. Here what I would do is stop the playing tune on the Denon, make a setting change in either performance or sound setup.

Normally you need to restart VirtualDJ for the change to take effect.

Also, did you have master tempo/keylock enabled. If so, disable it. In particular using advanced master tempo with timecode requires a very high performance system.

Ok, think I will try again with the configuration and resarting VDJ and disabling tempo/keylock.

Will get back tp you :o)

Mensajes Mon 21 Sep 09 @ 1:00 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)