Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Changing pitch makes highs modulated

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I have found some issue which may be related to others which have recently been found. It´s most noticible if you change the pitch from 100.0% to 100.1%. The high frequencies (especially any snare-drums) become modulated. It´s very hard to describe the effect - I would say they sound like played "underwater". It´s faint, but noticeble, especially at higher volumes, but also in my headphones. It´s gone the moment I reset to 100.0% pitch. If I change pitch more I have the feeling it becomes less noticeble again. Don´t ask me why.

EDIT: I ´d forgot to mention: I have limiter and timestretch disabled, and try to stick to a gain value of -3.

I would like to point out that it is not the effect described in the "Loss of HIGHs after changing pitch", although it might be related.

Anyone else in here who experiended or can confirm this?

Mensajes Thu 21 Jul 05 @ 3:58 pm
xeonPRO InfinityModeratorMember since 2004

Mensajes Thu 21 Jul 05 @ 5:17 pm
I´m not sure if it´s the exact same problem. What is described there is a LOSS of highs. I don´t loose the high frequencies, but as stated above, they get modulated. Last night I have recorded demonstration sounds of the effect. I´ll try to upload them during the weekend so I can show what I mean.

Mensajes Fri 22 Jul 05 @ 12:02 pm
bagpussPRO InfinityMember since 2003
The problem is known, noted, and being worked on, we all wait in anticipation for the update :).

Mensajes Tue 26 Jul 05 @ 9:26 pm

Mensajes Tue 20 Sep 05 @ 7:10 pm
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
lol my ears are obv rubbish i cant hear the difference when i do this. i can hear a difference after 32 beats on the sample but there is a break in the song at the same point so this isnt clear anyway.

Mensajes Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 1:42 am
Dj XeoPRO InfinityMember since 2005
i know why this happens! if you try and play .1% more than 41,000 samples in 41,000 sample 'slots' if you will then high freqencys ( freqencys that occilate most will (shit i forgot the mane of the effect but when 2 waves that are slightly faster or slower than another create modulation because at some points they are canceling each other out/doubling phase) this is a problem with changing pitch like this as some samples have to be dropped if you want to fit say 41,001 samples into the space of 41,000. some kind of random dropping instead of dropping in a fixed pattern causing the reverbaration on the high freqencies. and your correct the moe you change the difference in played pitch and the 0% the song is in the more the effect will be lessened.

(if anyone doent know what im on about get a back massager or something that vibrates like one and put it on your larynx (addams apple or whatever) try and hum at the same pitch that it makes then change your pitch slightly up or down and hear how the peaks and troughs cause a reverbaration.)

Mensajes Fri 30 Sep 05 @ 1:55 am
vpcdjHome userMember since 2004
if u play using headphones or small speakers u wont notice the difference of lost sounds when highs are added. infact it "sounds better" when u add highs using small speakers. but connect some big big big sounds to ur computer and u'll be amazed. the difference is jaw dropping.

i love this program but when u connect it to big sounds like big power amps and some f'ing club speakers like peeveys one wonders how the program got released with this bug if it were supposed to be a professional/club program.
i didnt think it was a problem coz from home adding the highs does make the program sound better.

the original sound isnt that bad so i guess if ur in the clubs u can use ur external mixer's eqs. ive never tried traktor (i think im an audiophile) but in my ears the sound program out the gate pcdj red vs. atomix vs. vdj is atomix.

Mensajes Fri 11 Nov 05 @ 9:03 pm
Finally - i just tested VDJ 4.0. And guess what ... yeah - this problem has acutally been addressed! FINALLY!!!!!! I think this is the best about 4.0 at all.

I have played with the performance settings, and found out that it´s the enhanced algorithm in the scratch section which fixes this. I played around with the filter size value as well. To me everything from about 5 und up sounds very good.

Mensajes Wed 06 Sep 06 @ 3:36 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)