Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: An introduction (and a few questions)

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hello everyone, excited to be a new part of a community of what seems great guys (and gals).

I've just recently realized my profound interest in DJ'ing. I've been playing the drums for the last 16 years, love to party, and never really put two and two together until recently. I found virtual DJ and was instantly hooked on the home edition, so I decided to go out and pick up a controller in the form of the Hercules DJ console RMX. I love it so far and am essentially just doing basic mixes, effects, and loops with a couple tracks. Thanks to DJ-in-norway and Double O I've got a ton of solid information right off the bat.

A few of my questions are as follows:

My friend has asked me to DJ his one of his big house party's [approx 150-200 ppl (college town)]. I've read that music selection is often more important than crazy mixing skills, and also read about the "airplane flight" setup. Are simple crossfades (with a little EQ and beatmatching mixed in) for the beginning of the gig a good way to go? I have learned a few loop tricks that I'd probably bust out later on, but just dont know enough right now to do that for a 4 or 5 hours straight.

What is the preference, sitting of standing while mixing, and which gets more props?

Lastly, Does anyone transport a desktop around to do gigs, possibly with a nicer stand to accomodate it? I'm a mechanical engineering student in college and thought about custom fabricating my own stand down the road.

Regards,

EP-Worth

Mensajes Wed 09 Mar 11 @ 3:38 pm
I have only been dj'ing for a couple months but in my experience yes, music selection is key. I use my laptop with a stand but if you can find a way to support your desktop i would say go for it. As far as sitting vs standing, i would stand. I think it may look unprofessional or like you are bored if you are sitting. Remember you are fueling the energy of the party so you should be pumped up and interacting with the crowd. When mixing, i rarely play a song from start to finish, it helps prevent the "ipod shuffle" sound. A good tip is to watch the crowd, if people seem uninterested in the current song, have something ready and switch it out quick! I also dont play back to back to back hits so it doesnt seem like the radio is on. Have a song or two in between to break it up a bit. Hope this helps and good luck :)

Mensajes Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 2:50 am
Thanks Forged! Also, I went for the premium membership last night to try it out for a month here, to see how well grooveshark works in this setting. Anyone else using grooveshark for music? I can see how it would be good for requests that I get on the fly for songs I don't have; but really not the best for my actual setlist however.

Mensajes Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 7:34 am
Never sit, stand. Fist pumping, jumping, bouncing, dancing in between songs is even better, if you can juggle that with blending.

Yes, music selection is the first priority. A Dj that can scratch, has a crystal clear setup and sucky music is worse than the DJ that can do a simple blend but is a genius when it comes to set lists.

I would suggest checking out some blending techniques on YouTube, but be creative. I use the Hercules RMX and it's pretty dope. Program the buttons that fit for you, but remember that every feature VDJ offers can be used as a blending tool (i.e. EQ cuts, EQ fades, crossfader, loops, pitch control, etc.)

Forged is right - think why should people have you DJ instead of plugging in an iPod? What do you offer that a playlist on Windows Media Player doesn't (remember, WMP can even crossfade).

I used a desktop in the beginning when I could afford a laptop. Do what works for you and take the fastest computer you have. The CPU tower makes a nice box to raise your monitor or mixer up...

With effects, don't overuse them. Backspinning or flanging out after every song shows your inexperience. Even if you have a few tricks, crossfade (also EQ crossfade) most of your songs then spice your mix up with an occasional effect transition.

Get some solid sleep beforehand and be creative. Most of my transitions come at a split second in the moment of mixing.

This is all in my humble opinion.

Mensajes Thu 10 Mar 11 @ 5:26 pm
^ also very good points. Most of my transitions come from using volume/crossfade controls. Do not over use the effects. And u dont want to be zoned out so plenty of rest and eating well beforehand is key. Good luck :)

Mensajes Mon 14 Mar 11 @ 5:48 am
^ also very good points. Most of my transitions come from using volume/crossfade controls. Do not over use the effects. And u dont want to be zoned out so plenty of rest and eating well beforehand is key. Good luck :)

good tip again forged. I've been mixing here for about 3 hours a day for the last week just trying to learn as much as possibly, and it seems to me that an EQ transition works as a beginner technique in most songs. However I don't want to get into that habit alone, so just experimenting with different types of transitions without ever letting the beats stop. I'm mixing at a college house party here this weekend and so far my biggest fear is lack of songs, and the fact that the audience may want more of certain songs that I don't have yet. I wish my netsearch was working right (caching) which it's not currently... Ahh well haha.

Mensajes Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 12:01 pm
Whats goin on im new to the dj scene ive been messing around with transitions and small stuff here and there just trying to get a feel for things id like to start and learn how to mix ive been trying to mix just radio versions of songs and it dosent seem to come out right what are some good tips to a beginner thanks....

Mensajes Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 12:34 pm
@ DJ EP-Worth
Yes the crossfader, or eq, or volume transitions seem simple and can get boring to us, but it works with the crowd because it creates a smooth transition. When you practice at home, you can mess with a bunch of different transitions, but at a gig, I would only do what i'm comfortable with...Remember, a crowd will not recognize a clean mix, but they will almost always notice a train wreck transition.

To change it up and keep it interesting, every now and then i'll create a loop for song A (usually in the chorus) then fade in a loop of song B while fading out song A. Then you can release song B's loop. [I hope that makes sense lol]. It's just another tool to use.

Mensajes Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 6:29 pm
@ cueup,
some songs just don't belong together. If you are making a mix and you really really want a song in it, look around for different versions of the song (there is always a dance/techno style version or a dubstep version of every song lol). Get the BPM's together and go from there. Or you could locate simple techno songs or just instrumental songs with a simple beat and use that as a transition song.
A good tip is to record everything! and practice, a lot. what sounds good on my computer speakers does not always sound good in my car with full surround and subs, so just keep bass levels in mind as well, and don't make them conflict too much.

Mensajes Tue 15 Mar 11 @ 7:16 pm
Hey mate,

My opinion is put yourself in the crowd, think of the songs that made you cry so badly and dance so dirty because it was so good to hear at that moment. My tip is to flow through certain songs that have similair musical qualities to each other, like don't go from dubstep to drum n bass, to psy trance to techno. It will not work and you will get roasted, lol. Try to go through a couple songs that sound the same, see how the crowd reacts, go from there.

EQ and crossfading between songs is always good, and no one will ever bag you out for doing a well beat matched and mixed transition. And like many have said before, flaws are the easiest to hear and be turned off by. Try looping a song while your going into another, try transitioning into a looped song, try using different effects on the tracks while mixing, try swapping the bass's with the EQ's, sample some of a chorus, you know its all your own creativity, as DJ's its the part of DJing that we own. Another good tip i think is good to note is that the more middle of the song you get, the better, you don't really want to be dancing real hard, and then the next song mixed in doesn't drop again for a minute or a long time. Subconsciously its annoying? Another one is, YES you can beat match kind of thing by having the bass and snare hits of each song be half beat off each other to make a 'double beating soound'... don't do that too much, some songs it just makes you look like a serious noob. And never forget the KISS effect, Keep It Simple Stupid, don't use the backspin more than twice.

Anyways, you wanna practice and stuff up 99x so you can finally get that transition perfect for when you need to perform live. If you stuff up, DONT PANIC! Thats probably the worst thing you can do, just look up, laugh and then shrugg... and secretly hope everyone will be too trashed to remember ;) i watched Erol Alkan do exactly that.

Another thing is NEVER SIT DOWN! Pump the crowd, move with the crowd, you as the person mixing, know the song, when it drops, and how to react to it, so make sure the crowd knows when to dance dirty!

I hope that helps?

Tell us how you went.

Scott

Mensajes Sun 20 Mar 11 @ 9:54 am
After 2 weeks of playing with VDJ and my rmx about 2-3 hours a day, I mixed at a friends college house party this weekend. (approx. 150 people). I ended up sticking to just beatchmatching as best as possible and eq fades, with some simple crossfades for songs I didn't know as well. All in all it seemed that everyone was having a great time, and I only had 2 obvious screwups in about 4 hours play time. I didn't get as ballsy as I would have liked with mixing, but then again I'm very new to the scene. Thanks for lots of helpful input from guys around here it was a good experience!

Mensajes Mon 21 Mar 11 @ 11:52 am
Hi New here and just started using VDJ7 Pro....

How can I cross fade with one hand only on my laptop. Currently I have to left click and scroll the fader over which requires both hands.

Mensajes Wed 27 Apr 11 @ 8:10 am
well depending on how good you are with your fingers, you can click the left mouse button with a ring finger or something and use your index finger to slide over.... that also depends on how far away your mousepad is from your left/right click. or you could look into a usb mouse for a laptop, then u can control it with one hand and it would be a cheep fix

Mensajes Thu 28 Apr 11 @ 5:07 pm
dinny21Home userMember since 2011
external render wall coatings
external wall insulation

Mensajes Thu 12 May 11 @ 4:53 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)