Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: First Mix ever.... How are the transitions?

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

http://www.mixcloud.com/oyat/roygbiv/

First mix, I'd just like a basic review of the song choice and, more importantly, the transitions. DJing a friend's party soon and wasn't going for anything beyond transitions that won't cause anyone to flee the dancefloor. Let me know if these sound ok and what improvements you think I'd need. I don't intend for this to be the full set (of course) but doubted that any of you would want to listen to 4 hours of beginning DJing.

Many thanks!

Here's a tracklist:

Tracklist / Chapters
Calvin Harris
Bounce
Basement Jaxx
Breakaway
The Ting Tings
Hands (Low Sunday Indie Fix)
Zion I
Dj DjBuy
Passion Pit
The Reeling (Calvin Harris Remix)
Basement Jaxx
Feelings Gone (Feat. Sam Sparro)
The Ting Tings
Great Dj (Calvin Harris Remix)
Foster The People
Pumped Up Kicks (Gigamesh Remix)
Yelle
Que Veux Tu (Madeon Remix)
Comments

Many Thanks!

Mensajes Wed 27 Jul 11 @ 2:15 am
25 post views, 6 plays and no comments? Does anyone at least have the decency to tell me "that was horrendous, quite possibly the worst mix I have heard in my life, may god have mercy upon your soul." I would appreciate even that...

Mensajes Wed 27 Jul 11 @ 4:05 pm
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
listened to it hours ago, been busy upgrading my rig machine, just because theres views and plays doesnt mean people have time to post. patience young jedi.

the track selection was nice, the transitions were a bit sudden in places and the odd track structure miss match, over all it didnt seem too bad for a first ever mix. ill have to listen to it again tomorrow and see if i can give you some better judgement.

listened to it while i was on mission to go x64

Mensajes Wed 27 Jul 11 @ 6:57 pm
yea i never get replies on my mixes either lol

Mensajes Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 12:54 am
Ive never had a reply to a mix. I just post them for people to listen to. I would expect comments it there was something wrong. Come to think of it I got some replies to a rock mix that I completely screwed up. Other than that ....

Mensajes Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 7:14 am
@ Blulite, thanks for the preliminary feedback. Still working on getting a better feel for mixing

@DjAdVille- i can have a look though I don't yet fully trust my ear yet, have to spend some time honing my work and listening to more people who know what they're doing first.

Mensajes Thu 28 Jul 11 @ 7:24 pm
well here man check out my mix...i did it on the spot soo there are a few mess ups but its pretty good! in my opinion lol
i like to think i know what im doing soo maybe this will give you a better idea of how to mix. also since your new to mixing make sure you look into harmonic mixing!

http://youtu.be/AcKg7f6HPD4

Mensajes Fri 29 Jul 11 @ 2:26 am
oh and feel free to check out my other mixes on my channel

Mensajes Fri 29 Jul 11 @ 2:36 am
theres several of my on the fly mixes on here under the music discussion secton. the rock one is pants but the rest are all pretty sweet. each one has the odd fuck up but they are all on the fly with remixes id not previously used.

Mensajes Fri 29 Jul 11 @ 5:08 pm
One quick hint while quickly browing it, though not sure it seems that the second song has a lower bitrate than the first, resulting kinda dim high. Third is even worse in bitrate. Try to use 320 only, and if not available crank up the high a bit.

Big plus for using mixcloud!

Mensajes Tue 02 Aug 11 @ 1:09 am
Back after a vacation...

@DJAdville great transitions. Didn't truly even notice where one song ended and another began... only in 1 case. Also very solid song selection including none of the trash that's topping the house charts in the states. Regarding harmonic mixing, are you classically trained in any instrument? I think I'd have to really get into music theory and learn to play before I start with that

Mensajes Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 12:57 am
well im glade you liked the mix! and no ive never picked up an intrument in my life lol
harmonic mixing is pretty simple and theres really no need to picking up intruments

heres a link to quick tutorial

http://www.harmonic-mixing.com/HowTo.aspx

virtual dj sodtware reads the key of the song for you soo theres no need to use other software, you can also sort your playlist by key in order of 1-12

Mensajes Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 1:42 am

Mensajes Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 12:15 pm
Awesome, noticing a difference already. VDJ doesn't seem to detect Major Vs. Minor keys unfortunately, and I sure as hell don't know the difference so It's still gonna be a guess and check process. Either way, useful tool.

Mensajes Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 5:35 pm
yea most songs are minor tho, i always buy my music on beatport which tells you the key anyways

Mensajes Wed 10 Aug 11 @ 6:44 pm
Not to hijack my own post again, but for a demo CD (of 60-74 minutes) what is the expectation for track length. Usually when I'm listening to other mixes on mix cloud its as if everyone is blending into a new track in under 3 minutes. Not that there are any solid rules, but is it fine to go 4-5 minutes per track?

Mensajes Sat 13 Aug 11 @ 12:16 am
thats a good question that i too wonder myself...too me it just depends on the song..theres just some songs that are worth playing from start to finish aslong as its under 5 mins i think thats fine. but if your going to be playing a song for such time try adding a lil extra to the song, such as an accapella from another song or melody. or effects too

Mensajes Sat 13 Aug 11 @ 12:27 am

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)