Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: Advanced beat matching help

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

I have 2 questions regarding beat matching, hopefully this is the most correct place to ask...

I don't like the idea of pitching an entire track just to match what you're already playing. I think a better idea is to match the active track to the one being faded so your mix generally follows exactly how each song should sound. Songs are mastered, pitching them would muck that up, in my opinion.

Do you know of a way to cleanly adjust the active track to the BPM of the track being faded in, such as slowly pitching the active track or abruptly syncing it on a big beat?

Also, when pitching audio, wouldn't that mess up all the notes and put everything out of key? Wouldn't it sound like a bad singer?

I'm currently not understanding these concepts as you can tell and would appreciate some help, hope you can!

Mensajes Sun 31 Jul 11 @ 9:32 pm
That's what key lock is for my friend ;-)
You really should do it opposite of the way you explained. If you did it your way it would kill the groove for the people dancing. If possible near play tracks that are more then 5 bpms apart, some might even say that's to much but I try to keep it around 5. When keylock is on the singers voice will stay in key.

Hope that helps some,
Huey

Mensajes Sun 31 Jul 11 @ 10:01 pm
It's not the right forum, there is one called "mix lessons" which would be more appropriate... but your here now...

that in theory might sound like a good idea, but in practice you would have to be very sensitive when adjusting the pitch of the active track to not notice the pitch change which would disrupt the flow of your mixing, and would be incredibly hard to pull of without a lot of experience in beatmatching, that, and it is harder to hear the track that is playing because it is not new, for me at least my ears are drawn to the new sound, but that may be from habbit.

Finally you don't need to worry about the pitch being shifted with the increase/decrease of speed if you use key lock, it automatically compensates for any difference in the key of music that changing the speed that a track is played will cause.

Mensajes Sun 31 Jul 11 @ 10:07 pm
Great help from both of you, thanks for the quick replies. This seems to clear the issue up for me, great advice to try not to beat match songs that are fairly different BPMs. I wasn't sure if you were allowed to ask questions in Mixing Lessons...

Please check my topinc in PC Technical Support on my question about PFL and if there's more definition to them than single coloured bars.

Thanks for the help!

Mensajes Sun 31 Jul 11 @ 10:11 pm
Here's what I do once in a while when the beats are far off between songs. It takes practice. I always keep key lock on.

Cue marks are critical. Set your cues so when the music starts... it will make a good loop. Caution...not all songs loop well.

Mentally note the BPM where you are currently playing, and the BPM of the song you will be "in" mixing.

Set your playing song into an X8, X4, or X2 loop. If your not sure what it will sound like, use your 3rd or 4th deck to preview a clone.

Move the loop's pitch slowly UP or DOWN, as not to jerk the dance floor too much. The dancers will go faster or slower with you.

When the BPM is really close to your incoming song, let go of the pitch control... and hit SYNC button on the incoming song. That will get you right on pitch and ready for the mix. Do this as quick as possible.

Start the incoming tune from a previously set CUE mark in order to sync quickly. And then do the crossfade. I usually mix in with a little more gain to add some energy. I'll gain back down after the transition.

Another trick is to use a loop on the incoming song as well. That way you can have a smoother mix not having to worry about vocals or dropouts.

I've had luck with transiton mixes like this. Be careful and act quickly. Loops will get old fast because of the repetition. If I notice this happening I'll switch over to the Sampler board and throw in a few sounds.

Practice the technique before trying it in public. Once you learn it, you'll have confidence to control the dance pace with most any good dance music.

Good luck.

JIM

Mensajes Mon 01 Aug 11 @ 2:09 am
Great advice Jim, I'll surely have to try this, thanks!

Mensajes Mon 01 Aug 11 @ 10:54 am
how do i use tap beat (or is it beat tap) in virtual dj 7 home free?

Mensajes Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 11:39 am
I want to change the BPM by using the Beat Tap (or is it called Tap Beat) in virtual dj 7 home free. How?

Mensajes Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 11:41 am
shut your face.

Mensajes Mon 24 Oct 11 @ 12:04 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)