Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Music discussion

Tema: im trying to get some gigs

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

ok soo ive been mixing for about a year now and i really want to start getting this DJ'ing thing out of the bedroom! i focus on mixing house, progressive house, electro, and trance. soo this would be a rave gig and here in vegas there is somewhat of a rave scene and i have gone to some of these raves. soo ive been working on making sets and i was wondering if anyone had any tips on how to structure a set for like an hour long gig.

i also want some input on the use of effects....when is the best time to use effects and how frequently

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 2:33 am
BlulitePRO InfinityMember since 2009
no offence mate, but if you need tips on how to structure a set for an hour, then you really are not ready to move out of the bedroom. you need to be able to play a set of around 4-5 hours. the only thing i can suggest really, is to practice playing long sets, start off with a steady flow of house and increase the energy over time to get the floor jumping.

i try to practice for as long as possibble and sometimes i spend a full day practicing. the more you practice the more you will become farmilir with your music collection and what flows well. befoer you leave the bedroom you really do need to get beyond the 4 hour mark.

i tend to start off with house then transition over time into techno and dance if the crowd is following you, you could take it a step further and move to makina or hardcore towards the end of the set.

playing a high energy set for 4-5 hours is extremely hard so thats why i sped time onhouse first. if the house music is keeping the floor moving and circulatingthen stick with it. make the transition to step it up only when the crowd doesnt seem that interested in house no more.

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 3:13 am
no offense taken and i dont have a problem playing a 4-6 hour set i only say an hour because i know thats how long the gig will be. the way i see it is that playing a 4+ hour gig isnt like playing an hour gig because with 4 hours of set time you have time to build the energy in the room as oppose to an hour set where you pretty much have to put out your best stuff . i just dont want my hour set to sound jumbled up and random. should i just stick to playing progresive house for an hour or switching it up?

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 3:28 am
oh ok cool, what i would do is do 15 - 15 and 30. do 15 house, 15 dance and 30 hardcore for example. get the flow going then blow the roof off with some super banging well known floor filling tracks. hard dance, hardcore , jumpstyle, hardstyle,makina etc etc, anything you want. in an hour its quite difficult to leave a lasting impression on a crowd, so create a mega jumping atmosphere that drags people in and makes them beg for more. also record your set just incase the oppertunity arises to sell a few cd's :)

the bigger you go the better recognition you will get. spend every moment you have spare working on a perfect hour and 10 min set that blows the roof off the building.save the last 10 mins as an encore and have it huge.

once you do this and the next dj takes over people will want you back. so plan to do more.

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 3:55 am
ok cool man that really helped me get an idea of where to take this thing. soo would you suggest starting off with some bangers to draw the crowd in at the start of the set?

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 1:48 pm
well there are 2 ways i would go about it. do 15 15 30 as mentioned before and use the first 15 to draw them in with some top remixes of the top 40. you could do 15 - 45..

or you could make an announcement..and say.. "right hold up hold up..i only have an hour to do this so i must warn you it might be a bit jumpy"

then hit them with none stop bangers for the full hour. then stop the music at the end and say hours up...cya..and see how they react.

so its entirely up to you how you want to do it, personally i like both methods. the announcements on goes down well. if you have the place bouncing.

Mensajes Thu 04 Aug 11 @ 3:02 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)