Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: Old versions

Tema: Noise with VGA Connected to Laptop

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

At the last 2 gigs I have played, at a Venue that I have played several times before, and used the same setup as before too. I now have a horrible hum in the sub, as well as, the high frequencies. Mostly the sub though. The noise is not present until I connect my VGA cable to my laptop to send video out to the projector.

The baffling thing for me is the audio comes from my equipment and out to the house PA. The video comes from my laptop directly to the projector. So these 2 systems are separate at the venue, but yet the noise enters the audio system as soon as I connect the VGA. I also tried an HDMI to VGA adapter off my laptop and same issue.

I have an Asus laptop with Nvidia video card, running VDJ PRO 7 latest version, and an American Audio VMS4. I come out the VMS4 to the house Pa's mixer on an available line input. There are no issues until I connect the VGA cable to the house projector. Then the noise rumbles through the sub, and makes a slight buzz in the highs.

As I have said before this is a gig I play every month at the same venue, and I always use the same power outlets, same wires and cabling (that I own personally and stay with me not the venue). I also set up in the same location the same way every time. But now all of a sudden the last two times I get this noise.

Any ideas?

Mensajes Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:15 pm
I have tried running my laptop off it's battery with no power plug at all connected, and still have noise.

I have a heavy duty 10 outlet power strip that my laptop, 4 hard drives, USB hub, and VMS4 plug into every time. And I have tried different outlets at the Venue and still same noise.

I have tried a HDMI to VGA adapter, still sames noise as soon as HDMI or VGA are connected to laptop.

Other ideas?

Mensajes Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:26 pm
This is most likely a ground loop issue on video side. VGA has a ground connection, so this would feed any hum back to your computer and then out through the ground of the USB cables to the VMS4.

It could be the projector or its power supply has developed a fault, or possibly the cable is damaged.

A simple solution (After checking the projector for any obvious signs of damage and/or a fault) would be to purchase a ground loop isolator and use it on the outputs of the VMS4 to your PA system.

Mensajes Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:33 pm
Thanks for the quick reply......

I am coming out XLR into the house PA, any suggestion on a good quality ground loop isolator I should use?

Mensajes Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 12:56 pm
For XLR, try searching Google for: ART DTI Passive DI Box

Also, search for xlr ground loop isolator to find other alternatives.

Mensajes Mon 28 Oct 13 @ 1:27 pm
strange thought , Im getting the same thing in the hdmi.. with a life time of installs its strange your post is right on top of my post.. makes me wonder. as my projector has 3002 hours and just this week started the to hum.

Mensajes Thu 29 May 14 @ 3:12 pm
if it was OK up until now then it could be that it is developing a fault. Or something else has recently changed in your system to cause this issue. Try using a different mains cable and HDMI cable to rule out a fault with the cables themselves. Also, the mains outlets that you are plugging into may have an effect on this problem.

Mensajes Fri 30 May 14 @ 3:47 am
im sending the laptop back to the manufacture and they want to look at it.. it doesn't matter the cable anymore. I tired ten... The issue is the video card..

Mensajes Sat 31 May 14 @ 8:59 pm
DazmaxPRO InfinityMember since 2007
If you are using XLR balanced connections to the house PA there is a trick for breaking Ground Loops. The Screen Conductor on an XLR is only a Screen. It carries no audio signal. As long as the screen is connected at at one end it still functions perfectly. All you have to do is disconnect the screen at one end to break the loop. It is probably best to leave the screen connected at the House PA end and disconnect it inside the XLR connectors that plug into your equipment. Take the XLR connectors apart and desolder or cut the un insulated screen wire. Use tape or heat shrinks leaving to insulate the screen wire and then re assemble the connectors.
This is a very common practice with interconnected PA equipment and is referred to as having a Telescope Screen. Safe to do and works a treat.

Daz

Mensajes Sat 31 May 14 @ 10:58 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)