Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Guide: How to change path of Playlists when switching drives

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

DDappaControlleristMember since 2016
I was searching for how to do this but I eventually figured out a 'fairly' easy way.
Challenge: I had all my music on an external drive and used to DJ off of that drive, and I also compiled my playlists with that external drive connected on the USB.

I finally decided to copy all my music from the hard drive to my laptop, and set up a "Backup" instance to backup the Music to that same external drive. The backup will Sync any changes to the folders between the PC and the external drive whenever I have it connected. If you are interested how to do this, post below and I can do a quick guide for that. But on to the topic.

After copying my files to my computer and trying to access my playlists (without the external connected), VDJ could not find the songs...duhh! since VDJ was initially playing all files off my external hard drive, the playlists were saved with all file paths as being to the external drive.

Solution steps:
1. Locate saved playlist files on your computer under C:\Users\YOUR_user_NAME\Documents\VirtualDJ\Playlists
2. Right click each playlist, select Open with -> Notepad
3. Determine the path where your music is now saved on the computer. In my case, I saved all my folders into the default Windows "Music" folder. The path for this (in my case) is: C:\Users\MY_USER_NAME\Music
4. In Notepad, press Ctrl+H (Replace function). This will bring up a small window to replace a certain text with a desired text.
5. In my case, my playlists were saved as E:\..... So in the Notepad dialog box, in "Find what" I put "E:". In the "Replace with" I put "C:\Users\MY_USER_NAME\Music\"
6. Click Find next. It should highlight the path you are wanting to change. Then click Replace. You can do this a couple of times (or for each song to ensure you don't unintentionally change any other text strings in the playlist, but this could take a while if doing them one by one... OR you can click "Replace All" to do them all in one go.

That's it. I hope it helps someone out there with similar challenge when moving your music between drives and needing to modify your saved playlists to get VDJ to find them in the right spot.
7. Save and close file.

Mensajes Sat 20 Jul 19 @ 11:44 pm
xylumePRO InfinityMember since 2015

Mensajes Sun 21 Jul 19 @ 11:37 pm
Thanks User1225... However, that executable only changes drive letter - say from E: to C: (it seems)... So for example, if you moved your files from E:\Music to C:\Music... it would work. But in my case I moved my files from E:\Music to C:\Users\MyUserName\Music, so I don't suspect that a simple drive letter change would have worked in my case.

Mensajes Tue 23 Jul 19 @ 1:06 am
I forgot to mention that it was only for a drive letter change (file path structure needed to remain the same). Thanks for your information and feedback. I'm interested in changing my path someday since I have too many folders and I'd totally like to consolidate them. If I ever have to re-copy my drive again, I don't mind having some smaller folders instead of one large folder to give my hard drive a chance to cool down between intervals. Also, I could migrate my music a few folders per day so that it doesn't run over 16 hours.

I've added your instructions to my notes for future reference. By the way, what backup Sync software are you using? I'm using FreeFileSync for incremental changes and it's really fast. I know there's a ton of Sync backup software apps out there. Those apps really are helpful. Thanks!

Mensajes Tue 23 Jul 19 @ 5:00 am
PhilWPRO InfinityMember since 2011
Easiest way to move files is do so within VDJ. It will move them and update the database.

Mensajes Tue 23 Jul 19 @ 6:21 pm
PhilW, Thanks so much. I've tried the move and it worked flawlessly. It's helping me consolidate my folders and that's exactly what I've been wanting to do for a while now!

Mensajes Tue 23 Jul 19 @ 9:54 pm
PhilW wrote :
Easiest way to move files is do so within VDJ. It will move them and update the database.

Whooaatt!! :O :O Are you kidding me? Why didn't you say that before ??!! Lol..

I imagine you just drag and drop within the file browser area?

user1225..Regarding the sync software.. My external hard drive is a Western Digital My Passport Ultra.. which came with it's own backup software. So I installed that and syncing through it. Most 'reputable' external drives come with their own backup software I think... If you don't have it on your HD, you can probably D/L from the support page of the mfr's website.

Mensajes Wed 24 Jul 19 @ 11:29 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)