Ingreso rápido:  

Forum: General Discussion

Tema: Headset mic volume/stream delay

Este tópico es antiguo y puede contener información incorrecta para la nueva versión.

Hi everybody!

I've got two issues here. The first is that I'm using a headset as my master/headset output, both on chann 1/2, and wit the mic as input, also on chann 1/2. But my voice volume is very low, and I have it all the way up. I've gone in the back end and checked the mic to booth option, which makes me louder in VDJ, but not thru my stream in Second Life.

The other issue, I have a very long delay inside of Second Life. I cannot get it under 17 seconds, but I hear other DJ's turning their mics on right away to respond to something in local chat, but that doesn't happen when I turn on my mic.

Can someone please help? I do not believe it has anyting to do with the stream itself because others use streams from same dealer and they don't have any issues.

Thanks
SS

Mensajes Tue 09 Feb 21 @ 4:37 pm
J J ZrnPRO InfinityMember since 2019
user22828897 wrote :
Hi everybody!

I've got two issues here. The first is that I'm using a headset as my master/headset output, both on chann 1/2, and wit the mic as input, also on chann 1/2. But my voice volume is very low, and I have it all the way up. I've gone in the back end and checked the mic to booth option, which makes me louder in VDJ, but not thru my stream in Second Life.

The other issue, I have a very long delay inside of Second Life. I cannot get it under 17 seconds, but I hear other DJ's turning their mics on right away to respond to something in local chat, but that doesn't happen when I turn on my mic.

Can someone please help? I do not believe it has anyting to do with the stream itself because others use streams from same dealer and they don't have any issues.

Thanks
SS

I am a second life DJ as well. Virtual DJ is the best for SL that's for sure!!! ..The folks here may not know that much about SL. But for your mic...make sure you have your setting on the mono..not 1/2 ...try that. And there will always be a delay from SL, so what I do is have two speakers set up where i can hear what is coming from my computer (which will have your mic as well ) and what is coming from SL. I use a DJ controller too so sometimes i use the headset with that versus the speakers for VDJ. Also i have a vst plug in for sl for the volume. Its called Loudmax. it just gives that extra volume but its very important to watch your clipping. In SL it can sound very distorted to the listener and you may not be unable to hear it. I am a novice at best with all this, but with several tweaks, and a lot of learning a long the way with the help of these forums, b/c of the nature of sl, VDJ works really well. Oh..and if you hear crackling with your mic, check your sample and bit rate settings on the computer and make sure they all match, I had a major learning curve with that..you also dont want to be clipping with that either.

Mensajes Tue 09 Feb 21 @ 8:27 pm
Someone in SL told me yesterday that a lot of my issues might stem from the audio driver on my pc. Though I have updated it, something on my pc might be taking control of my mic. And I do everything from my laptop, so I don't use a controller, or external monitors, just my laptop and headset. I might try an eternal sound card to see if that works. What I don't understand, is why the people who use SAM, and Mixxx don't seem to have any issues. I mean they talk on the Mic in real time, like they are just pushing the button and that's it. Why is it so hard with VDJ. Although, when I'm on the Mic without broadcasting, it seems to work like it should. I'm just confused as all hell! Lol. What's your resident name in SL so I can invite you to my club?

Mensajes Thu 11 Feb 21 @ 4:06 pm
Hello Sid Sorin,

I was just reading about the issues you have with your microphone and the delaytimes when listening to the stream playing in Second Life and the reply of JJ ZRN and hopefully not unnecessarily I respond to your post too. I am DJing in SL for many years as well and using VDJ in a different set-up than you and most people in SL: I use a seperate digital mixer for receiving the signals from the controllers (with audio-interface) as well as for the mic and a dedicated seperate computer with broadcast-processing software to stream into SL. It is complicated and expensive too, but hopefully it is possible to find a way to have fun, not to pay excessive money for gear, though to DJ with a good result. So back to your story regarding the delay in monitoring of the stream, it is normal. As what JJ explained, you can not DJ live and listening to the result from the stream in Second Life at the same time. DJ's who tell they do that, often use their headset-mic over the voicechat (that's why lots of DJs in SL sound so crappy) or listen to a tap from the computer-soundcard. The first stage that gives delay is the driver of the soundcard itself because a computer, no matter how powerful, always needs time to compute. The standard windows drivers (presuming you are in Windows) are often too slow for proper DJing (beatmixing, but also on mic). However, some reported on this forum decent (workable) results with VDJ and the Wasapi-driver. Secondly, streaming over the internet takes time too, the signal (depend on the location of the servers) needs to travel all over the world and beyond and some streams take indeed a couple of seconds or more to be heard. So monitoring as a DJ from the stream itself is only possible for quality checks, people who tell they can just mess around a bit.
I can not tell instantly why your microphone volume is so low because it can be caused by a couple of things, but most probably is that the sensivity of the mic pre-amp of de soundcard is too low. Try to raise the gain of the mic-input first, if possible. By using an external audio-interface with a dedicated mic-input you can crank up the gain on the hardware easily to the proper level needed, before the signal will be processed and mixed by VDJ. Some good external audio-interfaces have dedicated software included that can also compress the mic signal before it is sent to VDJ. That’s a big + because most popular music (as a result of the loudness wars, as it is called) has been produced in a manner that it will sound as loud as possible (compressed). The signal coming from the microphone, if it is just plain clean it often can’t come over it in any way because the peaks will let the input-stage clip already, while the average signal is still way too low to match the pre-recorded music from the decks. So using a compressor can make the difference between the peaks and average signal smaller and you will be heard way better. Alternatively, use a controller with an internal audio-interface and a dedicated mic input. It’s an investment, but it pays off because it let’s you monitor your decks and microphone through headphones (or speakers) before it goes on the stream and you can prelisten your tracks as well and it has also special (Asio) drivers for the audio-interface that can shorten the delay in the headphones to delay-times that it won’t be noticable anymore (depending on the power of the computer ofcourse). Summering, it costs money to get decent results (as always).
In my believe, if you want to DJ wherever in real life or second life, buy a good controller with built-in audio-interface and a dedicated mic input, also a decent microphone and you are able to get professional results. (You will need a license of VDJ for a particular controller also)...

Greetz from SL too, Harry :-)

Mensajes Sun 14 Feb 21 @ 2:05 pm

(Los tópicos y foros antiguos son automáticamente cerrados)